VOG Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Somewhere I saw a photo of a Zumo 550 mounted on the small dash behind the windshield on a Vision. Can't find it anymore, (should have saved the link).
If you can direct me or have info on it, much appreciated.
Will be picking up the Vision on the 8th, so time to start accessorizing. I think the panel mount for the GPS is too far below my line of sight, (6'4" thing) so I'm looking to mount it higher so I won't be taking my eyes off the road too much to see the screen.

thanks
brian

·
Premium Member
3,850 Posts
My two cents...

I prefer having the GPS on the console vs. the dash (behind the windshield) as it doesn't block your line of sight. With that said, here's some input I placed on a related thread:

Yes, you can rig up just about any GPS for this bike, or just get a windshield or dash mount, but with the factory setup, it interfaces with the Vision's audio system seamlessly. So, if you're riding and listening to music, when a turn approaches, the GPS's verbal instructions temporarily override the audio system. Personally, a few times when I've been riding "in the Zone," I may have passed my exit had the GPS not spoken to remind me of an upcoming turn.

Also for the GPS, I've found out that once you become familiar with the bike, you'll rarely STARE at the GPS. You'll enter your destination before you take off and listen as it delivers the turn by turn directions. (This "verbal" turn by turn feature is a good reason to go with one that can be properly connected to the bike's audio system as you don't have to keep staring at the GPS's screen).

The only time I glance at the screen while riding is to see the distance to the next turn or to see my estimated arrival time. It also provides a very accurate speedometer that shows your current speed. Most motorcycle speedometers display your speed as a few MPH faster than you're actually traveling. While I've heard numerous factory explanations (various manufacturers), it appears this is by design and possibly due to liability issues. Who knows?

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Guys on another forum sent me the link for a video which is were I probably saw it.

Andy, I have no experience yet whether the Zumo will link up with the Vision's Proprietary Sound system or not, but others claim it does. Personally, I don't see why not, the 4 pin harness that the Factory GPS plugs into on the right side of the center counsel has 2 leads for 12VDC and 2 leads for the front speakers, if you use the Zumo's audio out jack and connect it to these 2 leads it should work the same. Once I have mine wired up I will verify this for the group.

If you imagine yourself on the bike in the video, see how easy it is to view the GPS and keep you peripheral still on the road. Now pretend the GPS is mounted to the dash, glance down, see how you would loose eye contact with the road, even for a second.
I normally follow the voice commands as well, but more than once I've had to confirm what they were saying with looking at the screen. There are some tricky intersections out there.

here is the link for the RAM mount (RAM-B-259U) that allows it to attach to the dash,

http://www.ram-mount.com/CatalogResults/PartDetails/tabid/63/partid/082065077045066045049055055085/Default.aspx

·
Premium Member
3,850 Posts
Candubrain said:
If you imagine yourself on the bike in the video, see how easy it is to view the GPS and keep you peripheral still on the road. Now pretend the GPS is mounted to the dash, glance down, see how you would loose eye contact with the road, even for a second.
Here's the video referenced above. I can't believe this guy shot it from the back seat...sorry, but I think that's nuts, but more power to him.

The perspective changes when you drop down to the rider's seat and unless you're very tall, that dash mounted Zumo seems like it could be in your line of sight. Just my two cents.

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for putting the video in, I haven't had much luck following the VOG video instructions, it's either male incompetence or my Safari Software. LOL

·
Premium Member
3,850 Posts
Candubrain said:
Thanks for putting the video in, I haven't had much luck following the VOG video instructions, it's either male incompetence or my Safari Software. LOL
Here's a quick lesson on how to insert a YouTube video in a response.

Type your response, then allow for an extra space below the text. Then, click the YouTube button and paste in the URL of the desired YouTube video and then press the post button below.

That's our lesson for today!

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Okay, you know I just have to try it, if it doesn't work, I'm going to get my neighbour's 15 yr old kid over here to show me how LOL

·
Premium Member
3,850 Posts
Candubrain said:
Okay, you know I just have to try it, if it doesn't work, I'm going to get my neighbour's 15 yr old kid over here to show me how LOL
Now that wasn't too difficult, huh? Congratulations on your first VOG video upload!!!!

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I worked for Toyota Mfg years ago, and they have a saying

"If the Student didn't learn, the Teacher didn't teach"

You have been a good Teacher.
I continue to enjoy this Forum, it's one of the best. Keep up the good work Andy

brian

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I did the Dragon 2 summers ago on my 97 Eglide, in the pouring rain. Didn't even come close to what this guy can do.
Worst thing was once we got to the tree of shame, I asked the guys where do we head now? Yup you guessed it, back the way we came.
I have sworn never to go back to that road. There are some pretty talented riders out there, I'm not one of them, and I'll leave them their road.

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

Here are a couple of shots of my mount, also showing the Tyco MiniAmp Multilok 7 pin connector you will need to hook up any non factory GPS to the Vision. It is down between the frame and right side of the tank, it's part of the main wiring harness. This will give you 12 VDC and the +/- for the speakers. Instuctions from the GPS take priority over the radio or iPod, just like with the factory system.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Candubrain said:
Here are a couple of shots of my mount, also showing the Tyco MiniAmp Multilok 7 pin connector you will need to hook up any non factory GPS to the Vision. It is down between the frame and right side of the tank, it's part of the main wiring harness. This will give you 12 VDC and the +/- for the speakers. Instuctions from the GPS take priority over the radio or iPod, just like with the factory system.

Hi,

Were you able to buy a 4 prong factory cable on one end (plug into Zumo cradle) and a tyco miniamp multilok on the other end (plug into the vision's wiring) ?
Or did you make one?

Thanks,
Thomas

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Sorry Thomas, the connectors only work on Gray coloured Visions, you know the fast ones.

I just bought a stereo head phone extension cord with a90 deg 1/8 inch plug. I plugged it into the headphone jack on the side of the Zumo. Each wire is a double, meaning the left and right wires are comprised of a + insulated core wrapped in a - shield. I joined the two positives and the two negatives for the left and right channel to connect to the +/- for the Tyco plug.

I not aware of the 4 pin cable you are talking about

·
Registered
23 Posts
Candubrain said:
Sorry Thomas, the connectors only work on Gray coloured Visions, you know the fast ones.
LOL!

Candubrain said:
I just bought a stereo head phone extension cord with a90 deg 1/8 inch plug. I plugged it into the headphone jack on the side of the Zumo. Each wire is a double, meaning the left and right wires are comprised of a + insulated core wrapped in a - shield. I joined the two positives and the two negatives for the left and right channel to connect to the +/- for the Tyco plug.

I not aware of the 4 pin cable you are talking about
Good idea! Were you able to find a tyco plug? or make a solder connection?

Thanks,
Thomas

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
New United Race Tech sell them, web address below.
it will cost you more for the shipping than the parts. Had I been thinking I should have bought several and mailed them to who ever needs them for a lot less.
You need a special crimper, I just used a fine point needle nose plier, crimping one tang over at a time. I also bought extra pins so that I could practice before doing it. I used an epoxy glue to seal the unused holes at the back.

http://www.newunitedracetech.com/shop/index.php?zenid=f8a28e8178f25fa4f541c97dda62ae94&main_page=advanced_search_result&keyword=amp+mini+&search_in_description=1&categories_id=&manufacturers_id=&pfrom=&pto=&dfrom=&dto=&x=0&y=0

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.