VOG Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I finally installed the Zumo 660 on my Vision today. Install was a breeze. It took a couple of hours just due to the fact of checking and re-checking and re-checking before actually drilling holes. I went with the mounting bracket and wiring harness from Victory. Pricey but well worth it in that I had to do no modifications. Works well and I get directions through the speakers. It's is nice to know that I did it on my own instead of paying the $90.00 and hour to have it installed by the dealer.

Blank Canvas

This is the underside of the console. You have to seperate these two pieces to see the GPS holes. (directions don't tell you that)

This is the connector that is on the right side between the frame and right gas tank

The nervous part was drilling these holes but the mount holes are set up for you. The hole for the wiring is not but pretty easy to figure. The directions for the wiring hole says use a 16mm drill bit which I could not find so use a 5/8" bit. It is just a smidge smaller than 16mm and worked fine.

Once all the holes were drilled the mount and the harness fit perfectly.

The finished product.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Good job! I love my Zumo 660. Due to the mismatch on connectors between my 09 bike and the Victory kit, I ended up modifying the harness included and soldered on some new connectors, but it works great. I also have the Cardo Scala Rider Q2 that flawlessly connect via Blue Tooth to this Garmin. It's nice to hear that Australian chic whisper directions directly into my ear. I'm very pleased.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Man314 said:
Good job! I love my Zumo 660. Due to the mismatch on connectors between my 09 bike and the Victory kit, I ended up modifying the harness included and soldered on some new connectors, but it works great. I also have the Cardo Scala Rider Q2 that flawlessly connect via Blue Tooth to this Garmin. It's nice to hear that Australian chic whisper directions directly into my ear. I'm very pleased.
I have been thinking of getting the Scala Rider Q2 also. But I want to be able to hear not only the Garmin but alsomy iPod and radio. So far I have not been able to figure out how to do this by bluetooth. I know I can plug the ipod directly in to the Scala but then I can not control the iPod from the bike controls. Do you know if there is a way to do this?

·
Registered
303 Posts

BreadmanRo,
My Blackberry and Scala work seamlessly with the Zumo. I can make/receive phone calls and hear turn instructions in my ear as well as talk with my wife. I was originally looking to get my stereo streaming via Blue Tooth, but the more I ride, the more I realize that the sound coming into the bottom of my helmet from my speakers is better than I could get with the tiny speakers in my helmet. When I'm paired with my Zumo, the music keeps playing, but I can still carry on a conversation with my wife or hear turn prompts. I can also unpair Blue Tooth between Zumo and headset and radio willmute when turn instructions come from GPS. I think I have the best of both worlds and have given up on my quest to get music to stream to headset . . . at least until we can get better speakers! Ride safe.

·
Registered
1 Posts

I have the Garmin 660 and it works perfectly. The instructions say to pair cell phone to Garmin and then to headset which is unnecessary. It just needs to be paired to the Garmin. Every Ipod BT device I have used has worked the same e.g. you can either listern to the Garmin or turn off the Garmin and listen to the Ipod, but not both. This is a well documented problem on Apple's website and is their problem; they need a more expensive chipset and have been reluctant to do so.
When using the Ipod, I have full handlebar control, but obviously loose that when the Garmin is turned on. I record my music in lossless format on the Ipod, but the Garmin 660 only accepts MP3 files, but eh audio is not bad.
I am using the Sena SMH10 headset which is the best headset I have seen. The technology is totally up to date, the sound quality is superb and you can buy headset clips for different helmets and then simply transfer the BT module to the other clip, thus allowing you to have multipile fullface/open face and 1/2 style helmets. The price is around $50 for these clips and they come with all necessary hardware, including the speakers.
There is ful interrupt priority to the Garmin (do not connect your cell to the headset as Garmin suggests, just to the 660). Phone calls are clear on both ends and their customer service is excellent at Benchmark Helmets, an importer of this unit.
Volume is controlled by a simple scroll wheel. There is also a 4 way built in wireless intercom system.
I have tried a lot of units, but none even come close to this headset !!
TJ

·
Registered
90 Posts
BreadmanRo said:
Well I finally installed the Zumo 660 on my Vision today. Install was a breeze. It took a couple of hours just due to the fact of checking and re-checking and re-checking before actually drilling holes. I went with the mounting bracket and wiring harness from Victory. Pricey but well worth it in that I had to do no modifications. Works well and I get directions through the speakers. It's is nice to know that I did it on my own instead of paying the $90.00 and hour to have it installed by the dealer.

Blank Canvas

This is the underside of the console. You have to seperate these two pieces to see the GPS holes. (directions don't tell you that)

This is the connector that is on the right side between the frame and right gas tank

The nervous part was drilling these holes but the mount holes are set up for you. The hole for the wiring is not but pretty easy to figure. The directions for the wiring hole says use a 16mm drill bit which I could not find so use a 5/8" bit. It is just a smidge smaller than 16mm and worked fine.

Once all the holes were drilled the mount and the harness fit perfectly.

The finished product.
I know this is an old post but I was hoping to get an answer to a question. Does the audio wiring harness also provide the power? I am looking to do the same thing on a Vision 8-Ball but since I don't have the stereo, I don't really need the audio part of the harness. But if there is a plug and play option to bring power to the unit, the harness may be worth picking up. thanks.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
i have the 660 Victory mount installed by the dealer. the instructions dont come through the speakers when I am playing my IPOD...does anyone else have this issue?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.