VOG Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Something I failed to pick up before my last trip was a little tire repair kit. Looking over the many available out there I'm still not sure which one would be the best choice for my application. Plugs with 2 large Co2 cartridges or 4 small cartridges? Which ones will bring me back up to 40 psi? Will that little 'Slime' tire inflator power plug fit into the Vision power port. (The port is smaller than a standard port).
What is yourstranded flat tire experience?

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Roger that, I have that plan too. I was looking fora kitto keep on hand should the waiting in the middle of nowhere for who knows how longbe avoidable. Found a nice one that should have you underway after plugging and reinflating in about 10 minutes though. Nice to have on hand just in case.

·
Registered
717 Posts
I picked up a two inch piece of metal in my rear tire last fall.
Bike did not handle great but was able to drive it a few miles to a AAA garage.

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
Those little c02 cartridges pack alot of stuff. I too am intrested if the 4 cartridges will pump up a motorcycle tire.

·
Registered
12,236 Posts
Well, knock on wood (as he taps on his head) well over 700,000 miles and the only soft tire I had was on the Vision in my garage. Havent had a flat on a street bike yet but have had quite a few on dirt bikes and those would not have been repaired with a plug. Also, as I mentioned earlier most of my bikes had spokes with tubes so plugs definetely would not have helped me on those.

·
Registered
4,867 Posts
At the show today they were selling that little pouch with the co2 repair kit and i watched the demonstration. A lot of steps but the fix looked great. Just couldnt handle the 50 dollar price tag.
I just carry the $5 kit with the rasp, rubber plugs and glue stuff. Always works on the car cant see why it wouldnt n the bike. Problem is once its repaired you still gotta fill it up. The co2 things might work, but a can of fixaflat does also and it helps seal the hole. Like Don said knock wood I havent had to try it out yet.

·
Registered
12,236 Posts

They sell some onboard compressors that are pretty cool but over $250.00. I have a little compressor that my inlaws gave me that actually does work and sells on Amazon for about $34.00. It is made by Slime (yeah I know strange name)

·
Registered
182 Posts
I bought a CyclePump with repair package for about $150. It was the best rated for output by MCN (motorcycle consumer news). You can get just the pump for about $100, but the kit includes a tire repair kit and air pressure gauge for re-inflating. Here's a link to one site that has a good description of it:

CyclePump

·
Registered
4,500 Posts
Never thought about it. Hope it doesn't happen!!

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

I did more digging into user reviews who have had to use the Slime I mentioned earlier and the Co2 cartridges. It seems the best method to use without taking up much space on the bike is the rasp, plug, and Co2 kit. Two large Co2 cartridges will bring the tire back up to about 38 lbs. Many suggest the very small 'Slime' compressor Don mentioned to bring it up to40 psi. The Co2 cartridges bring the pressure up instantly when charged, (much faster and smaller than a hand pump), but apparently get extremely cold so wear gloves.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.