VOG Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I posted this over in the "Cross Roads" section but there's a lot more activity here, so I'll post it again if that's ok.
While I've yet to nail down exactly which Cross bike to get, the Cross Country has extra goodies and extra wind protection but then there's no denying how sexy looking the Cross Roads is especially in solid midnight cherry, wow what a looker!
I'm in Canada and for some reason the prices of these bikes are quite a bit more here then in the USA. Maybe somebody could explain to me why that is? Maybe our Canadian goverment has a hand in it?
The MSRP for the Cross Roads in solid midnight cherry is $16,599in the USA, with the exchange rate right now that should translate into appx. $17,057 (Canadian) but our MSRP here on this bike is $18,508(Canadian)? How come for the extra $1,000 bucks?
We also get it in the butt too with the accessories by the looks of it, a heated "touring" seat is listed for $599.99 USD, that's $616.47 CDN but our list price for this item is $724.99?!!!!!! WTF?!!!!!!!!!! Please let me know what's the deal here. Are the Canadian dealers allowed to take in more profits or what? I'd just like to know how this works.
I wonder how much of a margin there is on one of these bikes and how much a dealer might be able to move on the price.
Right now, I'm trying toput together a fair offer to submit to a local Victory dealer, a price that's reasonable enough not to be turned down but allows me to keep more dollars in my wallet.
BTW, I'm not the most experienced wheeler'n' dealer so I'd appreciate any helpful input from you guys if you're interested in chiming in.
I was thinking that taking the Canadian MSRP for the Cross Roads in "solid midnight cherry" and deducting say 6% from it, that would be appx. $17,397 CDN, then adding up the inflated list price for the accessories that I'd like and price themwith at least a15%discount.
My local Victory dealer did offer me the Cross Roads in solid midnight cherry for $17,700 CDN, so that's appx. 4.5% off the MSRP I guess. So, I figured that maybe they'd go a little bit more like 6%.
This Victory dealer told me the other day that he doesn't charge for freight but charges $150 for PDI and $100 for admin. fees, plus he wants tocharge 3 hours labour to install the Cruise Control option, their service rate is $60 per hour, so that would be $180 in labour to install the Cruise Control. I think that that's a bit high, I'm thinking three hours at whatever the dealer is actually paying the mechanic per hour, probably under $20.00 per hour. Since this is such an expensive purchase and that they must be making a pretty decent profit with their margins, I'm thinking that they shouldn't charge me more then $60.00 labour or even better no labour charges at all. But what do I know.
He puts the plate on the bike, that's another $58.00
I crunched some numbers today (Canadian dollars)and figured that with the bike at say $17,397 and a bunch of accessories at a 15% discount, (touring seat/cruise control/scuff pad kit/engine guard close-outs)and then add $308 for the PDI, admin fees and plate, plus $60.00 Labour and 13% Tax, I'd be just around $22,122.00 CDN.
I wonder if $22,000 CDN out the door (taxes in)would be about right with those four accessories that I've listed?
Anybody care to give me their opinions or advice here?

·
Registered
2,995 Posts
cant' say much about the higher prices other than maybe some import tax Canada may have on out of country products but that may be part of it.

I don't believe in 'administration fees' of any kind, that's just a cost of business.

As for pricing on the bike, depends on your market and your relationship with your dealer. It's the hot new bike so dealers are getting better prices for them.

It'll boil down to how bad you want the bike and how bad the dealer want's to sell it.

I'd say add in the cruise you want, installed and offer them $500 under MSRP. Use that as a starting point.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Hey, thanks for your input.
I do know that the unfortunate part about this whole thing right now is that this is one of the hottest bikes out there right now and they won't have a problem moving them. I used the Cross Roads as an example since the Cross Country is the way hotter in demand of the two.
I was probably out to lunch on my pricing but I was just looking for helpful suggestions in getting myself educated on this topic to help me make a fair offer and also not get hosed.
I'm not a good haggler and don't like that process at all.
It's like you pointed out, it depends on how bad I want it and how bad the dealer wants to sell it.

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
do the wheelin and dealin via internet and let the war begin....get quotes via e-mail and see if another dealer will beat it. then with quotes in hand, go visit the dealers and start your wheelin and dealin. i did that whe getting my kingpin and did very well indeed.

Reactions: rosskp

·
Registered
5 Posts

I believe they cost more here because it costs money to get them up here. They also hedge on the US currency or they paid more at the time of purchase.
I have found that the dealers here in Ontario do not move on the thier price very much, if at all. Normally it will depend on what the dealer has in hiscost and/or if he has a large inventory or if he feels he can sit on it.
I recently purchased an 08 Vegas Low in Michiganand I think I saved quite a bit.
Brad

·
Registered
834 Posts
There has been no adjustment for the US Canadian exchange rate from the time these bikes were announced. The Base priceCDN for the CC in black was $20,069 when I placed my order in August of 09 and the same when it was delivered last week even though the exchange rate has changed considerably. Since locally most of the x bikes are spoken for I wouldn't expect to see much movment on the MSRP. Accesories and in house shop,prep and admin charges are where a deal can be made in most cases.

·
Registered
2,518 Posts

I couldn't get the dealer tomove on price, but they threw in heated grips and a couple small trinketson the purchase. So try to get the options or labor thrown in and bite the bullet on the price.
As for us getting screwed on the price in canada, they were set last fall when the dollar was weaker. Also the cost of importing a vehicle ( if you buy a vehicle out of the states you have to pay for the RIV inspection), then either picking the vehicle up or shipping it. So what they do is set the price close enough that going across the border is not worth it.
Also from what I have seen with vehicle companies they might not warranty your bike after you import it.
Good luck on picking your new ride.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Oddly enough, this salesman said that he has more room to move on the price of the bike and not so much on the accessories.

When the time comes, I'll present him a reasonable OTD offer on this bike and see if we're anywhere in the same ballpark.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Humbucker,
Funny you should post this today, I just put a down payment on my new XC tonight and was able to get it under MSRP and got the dealer to through in a iPod kit (I had to pay $30 for the iPod bag). The thing I did was not tell the sales guy that I was financing it myself until I was ready to make my final offer and said that all I could get financing for was for a certain amount. Seem to get me the price I was looking for plus free accessory.

·
Registered
2,995 Posts
i got a great deal on my new bike but I've also got a long standing relationship with them which helps a lot in these types of negotiations.

Basically what I do when i buy a new vehicle is try my hardest to find out what a true dealer invoice is then work up from there. While I hate paying more than I need to, I also know that they need to make a profit otherwise they may not be there next time to give me a better deal so the whole process has to start again.

In your mind you need to set your price of what this bike is worth to you, it's a toy, not an investment. If you set your price and they refuse to meet it, walk away. Sooner or later you'll get your ballpark point it just depends on how long you want to wait.

What I want is a good deal on a saddlebag lid rails. No way in heck am I shelling out $350 for those 2 pieces of tinfoil.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.