VOG Forum banner
1 - 20 of 918 Posts

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Just picked up a 2018 Yamaha Star Venture Trans Continental bike today.

Bike is loaded with tech, has a 113 cubic inch V-Twin air and oil cooled with a smooth six speed transmission and belt drive.

Bags and trunk are large, I still had a set of Victory soft luggage from my Cross Country Tour as I ended up with two full sets of soft luggage when I bought it and the Victory luggage fits in the saddle bags and trunk with no problem.

Bike has three cubby holes up front for the rider and two cubby holes for the passenger. It has keyless ignition and an electric windshield, two smoke colored air deflectors to direct air to the riders or to block air. There is a air vent in the lower fairings as well. Fit and finish is well done.

The engine has two engine modes one sport mode and one touring mode. When you accelerate this bike jumps up and flat out goes. Yamaha states the torque is 126 ft lbs at the crank.

This Yamaha Star Venture is hands down more powerful than my 2013 Victory Cross Country which had stage one air intake, aftermarket mufflers by D&D and a tuner, it is also more powerful than my 2016 Harley Davidson Limited Low that had a stage one set up with Arlen Ness big sucker intake, Vance & Hines power dual headers, Rinehart 4 inch mufflers and a Vance & Hines FP3 tuner.

The Star Venture is very light feeling and getting it up off the kick stand is very easy, this bike also very agile handling and is quick to flick in corners, very fast reacting when you want to make a course adjustment or change.

The Star Venture also has park assist, it is a lever you engage with the engine running the kick stand up and the transmission in neutral, you then use a toggle switch on the left control group of the handle bar to either reverse or go forward at walking speed. Very handy for those times when you have some gravel that keeps you from getting a good footing. The park assist works off of its own electric motor at the rear of the engine.

The bike also comes with all LED lighting.

The seat has a small forward and aft adjustable backrest, they also sell a taller adjustable backrest if you want more back support. The seat height is nice and low allowing shorter riders to reach the ground with no problem. The floor boards are nice and spacious as well.

Bike has great brakes with two rotors in the front and single rotor in the rear and has linked ABS braking.

Yamaha went with hydraulic clutch so no clutch adjustments needed and will be very reliable with no worries of a clutch cable breaking while out on a ride.

Overall Yamaha I think has hit a home run with this bike.

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Nice real World review.
Thanks. I really like the new Transcontinental for many, many things but the power output is not one of them.
Id bet that it runs very clean and is tuned very well out of the box (unlike our Vics).
BUT-
The new Yamadog 113 is not a powerdog. The gearing and seat of your pants might make it feel that way. I was a real fan of the bike until I read the dyno results. A 109lbs tq and 77hp at the wheel is hardly a power monster. Fact is, the Transcontinental is very under powered for a 962lb motorcycle.
Wish the Yamaha 113 uncorked like the Vic 106's do (as you know they average 115hp/115tq uncorked at the wheel). If they did, I'd be all in with you.

Sorry, had to say...
2018 Yamaha Star Venture | Road Test Review

WW

Reactions: Redsawacs

·
Registered
4,290 Posts
Just picked up a 2018 Yamaha Star Venture Trans Continental bike today.

Bike is loaded with tech, has a 113 cubic inch V-Twin air and oil cooled with a smooth six speed transmission and belt drive.

Bags and trunk are large, I still had a set of Victory soft luggage from my Cross Country Tour as I ended up with two full sets of soft luggage when I bought it and the Victory luggage fits in the saddle bags and trunk with no problem.

Bike has three cubby holes up front for the rider and two cubby holes for the passenger. It has keyless ignition and an electric windshield, two smoke colored air deflectors to direct air to the riders or to block air. There is a air vent in the lower fairings as well. Fit and finish is well done.

The engine has two engine modes one sport mode and one touring mode. When you accelerate this bike jumps up and flat out goes. Yamaha states the torque is 126 ft lbs at the crank.

This Yamaha Star Venture is hands down more powerful than my 2013 Victory Cross Country which had stage one air intake, aftermarket mufflers by D&D and a tuner, it is also more powerful than my 2016 Harley Davidson Limited Low that had a stage one set up with Arlen Ness big sucker intake, Vance & Hines power dual headers, Rinehart 4 inch mufflers and a Vance & Hines FP3 tuner.

The Star Venture is very light feeling and getting it up off the kick stand is very easy, this bike also very agile handling and is quick to flick in corners, very fast reacting when you want to make a course adjustment or change.

The Star Venture also has park assist, it is a lever you engage with the engine running the kick stand up and the transmission in neutral, you then use a toggle switch on the left control group of the handle bar to either reverse or go forward at walking speed. Very handy for those times when you have some gravel that keeps you from getting a good footing. The park assist works off of its own electric motor at the rear of the engine.

The bike also comes with all LED lighting.

The seat has a small forward and aft adjustable backrest, they also sell a taller adjustable backrest if you want more back support. The seat height is nice and low allowing shorter riders to reach the ground with no problem. The floor boards are nice and spacious as well.

Bike has great brakes with two rotors in the front and single rotor in the rear and has linked ABS braking.

Yamaha went with hydraulic clutch so no clutch adjustments needed and will be very reliable with no worries of a clutch cable breaking while out on a ride.

Overall Yamaha I think has hit a home run with this bike.
When I tried one out, I noticed erie similarities to my Xbike.....floorboards...the trim on the bag hinge..
Great bike--- probably what a Cross Country would have become.

It actually has TOO MUCH stuff for my taste. I like the new stripped model.

Good review, and, btw, Congratulations!

·
Registered
2,497 Posts
Congrats !!. Thanks for the your review, I have not ridden one but I like the looks. I will have to get my butt on one and try it out, probably the Eluder though.

·
Super Moderator
26,093 Posts
All that write up and no pictures!?! Shame on you!

Sounds nice. It I was in the market for a Vision replacement I'd probably start there.

Reactions: torotim and Guest

·
Registered
8,075 Posts
Will let you all know how my new yammy trans rides a short while after I win the lotto.... I would not own a bike without at least reverse and the XCT reverse works the same off a electric motor affixed aft of the pots and geared to the main drive pulley.....

I have often thought of how difficult it would be to put a switch in line to reverse the polarity and run it forward as well.....

Reactions: primethious

·
Registered
7,071 Posts
I recently discovered a Yamaha dealer that has 1 Venture and 2 Eluders that's fairly close. If all goes well I'll get down there Saturday and ride the Eluder. Just sitting on it, I'm already in love with it.

I've recently rode an 18 HD Street Glide, 18 Indian Chieftain Dark Horse, and Roadmaster. They all left me disappointed. I knew it as soon as I sat on them. My feelings were confirmed the moment I picked my feet up and started riding.

Tire Wheel Land vehicle Vehicle Fuel tank
Tire Wheel Land vehicle Vehicle Fuel tank

• Winner
Reactions: Kenstah

·
Registered
7,071 Posts
@RedVic How's the heat from the cylinders? I've read where a few have complained about that.

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
This bike interests me more than any current bagger. The Eluder is more my taste but they skimped the electric windshield from it ! WTH Yamaha for the price is should be included. One of my concerns is the aftermarket... I wonder if there are any mufflers, air cleaners, and tuners available ?

·
Registered
6,712 Posts
This bike interests me more than any current bagger. The Eluder is more my taste but they skimped the electric windshield from it ! WTH Yamaha for the price is should be included. One of my concerns is the aftermarket... I wonder if there are any mufflers, air cleaners, and tuners available ?
I'll swear, you guys could get a bike with 200 HP and you wouldn't be happy till you made it 225. Lol

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
I'll swear, you guys could get a bike with 200 HP and you wouldn't be happy till you made it 225. Lol
No, it's about the bike not running too lean and ruining the motor. In today's EPA controlled world companies have to tune the bikes so lean they run hot in order to get EPA certified. And exhaust, it just to Taylor the sound.

·
Registered
7,071 Posts
I hear buffeting is an issue for riders around 5'10" (my height) with the stock windshield on the Eluder. If these bikes sell well, the aftermarket will grow.

I wonder how long it will take the aftermarket to provide an option over that awful passenger backrest!

Reactions: WickedWebby

·
Registered
8,075 Posts
What lou said above...... Damn I am still seriously thinking of going back to original as at least then I got damn good mileage out of it, I have lost almost a hundred kilometres from distance traveling since adding PCv, tri-ovals and loydz air filter only.... Yes it is a slight more toeiness there but negligible for the riding I do... I don't drag and could not care less if some hoon in car or another bike for that matter is quicker off at the green light than I, I still pull up either behind them or beside them at the next red light anyway.....

Reactions: 8 Ball Vicxen

·
Registered
6,712 Posts
I hear buffeting is an issue for riders around 5'10" (my height) with the stock windshield on the Eluder. If these bikes sell well, the aftermarket will grow.

I wonder how long it will take the aftermarket to provide an option over that awful passenger backrest!

Wow, that is one ugly backrest. Are you thinking about getting a two up tourer down the road Wes?

·
Registered
6,712 Posts
What lou said above...... Damn I am still seriously thinking of going back to original as at least then I got damn good mileage out of it, I have lost almost a hundred kilometres from distance traveling since adding PCv, tri-ovals and loydz air filter only.... Yes it is a slight more toeiness there but negligible for the riding I do... I don't drag and could not care less if some hoon in car or another bike for that matter is quicker off at the green light than I, I still pull up either behind them or beside them at the next red light anyway.....
Did you have your bike Dynoed by a good tuner Gramps. I think that is the key.

1 - 20 of 918 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.