VOG Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
17,114 Posts
It piques my curiosity. I'd like to ride it, but I like to ride everything pretty much. Trikes have no appeal to me but I see a lot of older guys move from two to three. I think if I ever were to develop an interest in trikes it would be something like this, then a Can Am, then a mobility scooter, then a Tri Glide...

·
Registered
2,346 Posts
NOOOOoooooooooo.............

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Keep in mind that the Niken is not a "trike" in the usual sense of the word, e.g., two wheels in the rear like a Harley Tri Glide or a triked Gold Wing, or two wheels in the front like a Can Am Spyder (or that steering-wheeled Sling Shot).

Instead, the Niken LEANS just like a (two-wheeled) motorcycle, and unlike those other trikes.

On a smaller scale. Piaggio has been selling its MP3 line of scooters (which I think now top out at 500cc), with similar leaning two front wheels, for a decade or so. I rented one on vacation some years back, so my wife and I could experience one in a resort town on the NJ shore. I thought it was a blast, and remarkably useful in gravel parking lots, for instance. (It was too small -- in terms of ergos and engine -- for me to want to buy one.)

When the MP3s came out, I think it was Killboy, of Deals Gap photo and S2000 fame, who opined that it might be "the ultimate Gap tool" because of the extra traction those (leaning) two front wheels provide. Same thing with the Niken: if you read some of the magazine reviews, this extra traction -- countering front-end washouts -- is generally mentioned.

I read one Niken review (Cycle World on-line, I think it was) where the reviewer also noted, and photo'ed, that it could do wheelies.

Just some things to think about, before you dismiss it out of hand ...

Reactions: lou8700

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
I rode a Piaggo and it was very fun, thing handle better than most sport bikes. You could hit the corners as fast as you wanted. I sure this one will handle quite well also, would be a hoot to ride it.

·
Registered
2,995 Posts
hey 15,000, two front wheels and 115 rated horsepower.

not for me, but the FTR isn't either, nor are any 'sport bikes'.

I laughed at the Grom when Honda released those, yet I see those little things buzzing around all over the place.

• Angry
Reactions: Poseidon

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Does it have a kickstand?
From my reading of assorted on-line Niken reviews: 1) yes, and; 2) it will topple over, if the sidestand's not deployed when parked.

The Piaggios have an interesting feature, which I gather is NOT found on the Niken. At a slow speed, when coming to a stop -- say, approaching a red light -- you can press a button on the handlebar, and it will lock the lean angle of the front wheels. When you get going again, at some low speed (I forget the exact speeds involved), the wheel-angle locks automatically disengage. Thus, at a stop light you don't have to put a foot or feet down, which during my (two-up) rental riding I found to be a nice convenience.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Are you having issues with the front wheel losing traction and washing out?
No, but I don't push it (except on track days), especially riding in the rain: "A man's got to know his limits."

·
Lone Rider of the Apocolypse
6,677 Posts
As long as there are other options out there, I could not ride anything that ugly. You know it's gonna be a hoot out on the street. Motorcyclist magazine did a really good review on the thing and the engineering behind it is incredible. Functionally the machine is going to rock for sure. But I just can't stand to look at it.

·
Registered
815 Posts
That's weird....

Can I ride it?

·
Registered
23,463 Posts
Twice as many front tires, twice as many fork seals and double the fork oil, and l wonder how much additional maintenance at the steering head...

The forks are affixed to the bike like so... The top mount holds the forks on the bike (yellow) and the lower mount just holds them to each other (red)... looks weak to me.

View attachment 504111

On a conventional motorcycle, the forks are clamped in at each end of the triple tree...

View attachment 504113

You can also see that it has a kickstand...

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
I applaud Yamaha for bringing outside the box to oem manufacturing. Pole-n-Ur-ass wouldnt make this leap.

WW

·
Registered
17,114 Posts
Twice as many front tires, twice as many fork seals and double the fork oii, and l wonder how much additional maintenance at the steering head...

The forks are affixed to the bike like so... The top mount holds the forks on the bike (yellow) and the lower mount just holds them to each other (red)... looks weak to me.

View attachment 504111

On a conventional motorcycle, the forks are clamped in at each end of the triple tree...

View attachment 504113

You can also see that it has a kickstand...
Makes me wonder why there are two forks on the outside of each wheel. Why not one bigger one? Like Webby I applaud Yami for the effort, but since we're getting outside the box...how about a more vertical single sided swingarm set up for each wheel? I'm sure by the time they create a way to mount a shock to such a set up it would be ugly as hell but hey, it's not like it's a beauty queen now right?

·
Lone Rider of the Apocolypse
6,677 Posts
This is a pretty good video of how the whole front end works and so on. As I said, I love the engineering behind this machine. And I agree it is a bold move by Yamaha to move forward with it. I am still wondering just how many people will bite. Make no mistake, despite the three wheels, this is no beginners bike! We will see where we are sales wise in about 6 to 8 months.

Personally I do see cost of ownership issues with this ugly thing. But again, we will have to see how these things age.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.