VOG Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone install the XM module on their own? I took a quick look at the install instuctions at dealer, but didn't purchase cause I wasn't sure if my bike that the aux harness already installed. Say it mounts into the square recess behind one of the saddlebags. Went home and checked. Both sides have square recesses and the LH one (sitting on bike) has a harness with square purple harness/connector. Is this the correct location or does it mount to LH side and I'll need to purchase and install harness? Any help would be appreciated!

·
Registered
4,867 Posts
Im seriously considering something other than the XM i have on the bike. Dont get me wrong I love it. But i already pay 165 bucks a year for sirius in my car and Im paying 56 bucks every 3 months for the XM ..Theres gotta be a better and cheaper way !

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have Sirius on two cars. The second one I get at a discounted rate. Now that XM and Sirius are the same company, will I get a discounted rate adding XM or will I need to pay full retail rates?

·
Registered
4,867 Posts
Man that is exactly what i have. When i called to activate the xm on the bike i gave them all the info about being a Sirius subscriber. If i wanted Sirius in my wifes car it would be 6.95 more a month. For the bike with xm im paying almost 20. Something aint right.

Sorry didnt mean to hijack the thread

·
Registered
126 Posts

Nope on the flash of the ECM. I bought the XM off Ebay at roughly 1/2 list price. Install is quite easy actually. For the module, you have to drill four 1/4" holes and one big 1 3/4" hole. Use a 6" bit for the 1/4" holes and you can find it from Lowes / HDepot for roughly $5. The big hole is a standard hole saw used for drilling a door for a door knob. At any rate, the MOST important thing to do is plan each step in advance and place the template exactly where you need it with LOTS of scotch tape. DRILL a pilot hole ( say 1/8") for each of the larger holes and for the largest, drill two pilots - first 1/8" then a 1/4". For the large hole saw, they usually have a 1/4" pilot bit anyway, so you're set. Use a short extension if needed, but it all depends on the drill you use. I don't recommend getting out the mammoth hammer drill for this, it's plastic and cuts very well. DO move ALL wire harnesses out of the way on the back side of thebox. (DUH!!!!) Drilling these are the most difficult step. Putting the module in is easy and DO right down the numbers you'll need before you put it in. Routing the antenna is actually very easy and I didn't have to take any of the major wiring harness apart. Just start at the windshield, place your "velcro sticker dot" and feed down the already-privded-hole near the right hinge area. Down next to the fuse box, then over to the console bridge wiring harness (big fat one) and secure with ties along the way. Once you've attached the antenna wire all the way to the back, you're next to the module. Just make sure it's not in the way of the seat (crushing issue there) and secure the nut correctly to the module. They provide a good description, but nothing is better than dry fitting loosely before mounting as practice. Lastly, call XM and they will take it from there!
Now, for the options..... I debated a long time about getting the XM module with the Garmin, or getting a smaller XM radio that can be moved around. I like the idea of the "movable" radio from vehicle to vehicle, but there is a huge issue with mounting and/or hard-wiringk, as the FM "transmitting types" ain't so good. Getting the module with the Gamin, is also an option and what I didn't like abou that is if the GPS should come up missing (as stolen), then now I have to get a new XM if they take the module too. Or, if I want to upgrade to a newer GPS such as the Zumo 660, then will the module be compatible and for how long in the future? I opted for the XM module that fits in the right saddle bag, because it's totally integrated, and only the antenna is exposed. Oh... wait... the whole bike is exposed... if they want to take it - they will.... I would suggest see all options first hand, so you can have the most info available and then make the decision that best fits your situation. :))) Now... cost is another issue and I can't help you with that one at all. I don't like it either, but you could look into the lifetime plan - they do have it and if you think the module will last that long it might be a good option:) BEST of luck to you and ride safe:)) Ride fast, but ride safe!!!
VVVet

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
VVVet,

Thanks! Purchased my harness and unit. Dry fitted everything together to make sure I got signal before mounting, but as I turned everything on, I couldn't get it to find XM as I cycled it through AM, FM, iPod etc. Dealer looked and said that there was NOT a radio flash required. I have harness connected to head unit, XM module connected to harness, and antenna connected to XM box. I am outside with clear access to sky. Is there a reset I need to do for the radio? Instructions made it sound like it was plug and play to get to activation station. Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Man314 said:
VVVet,

Thanks! Purchased my harness and unit. Dry fitted everything together to make sure I got signal before mounting, but as I turned everything on, I couldn't get it to find XM as I cycled it through AM, FM, iPod etc. Dealer looked and said that there was NOT a radio flash required. I have harness connected to head unit, XM module connected to harness, and antenna connected to XM box. I am outside with clear access to sky. Is there a reset I need to do for the radio? Instructions made it sound like it was plug and play to get to activation station. Any help would be appreciated.
Just checked and my radio version is "Radio 5.20A - BB5.14A, 1"

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I installed the harness

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Saga continues. I called dealer and while they were looking into it, I also called RadioSound, the OEM manufacturer for stereo AND XM unit. The most recent version is 5.21A . . . turns out both radio and XM unit need to be reflashed. Soooooo, another 1.5 hr drive to dealer. They reflashed it and when I asked if XM was working the mechanic said "Yup, it playing AC/DC." What he was listening to was my iPod!!! He just heard music and assumed it was working. Lucky for me I toggled the selector button and was able to get the Preview XM channel. After 3 tries at activation, it is now working! Should'nt be this difficult to spend my hard earned money to get upgrades on this bike. I told mechanic about the sites as it seemed I had better info than he did on this bike. He told me that I couldn't trust everything I read on-line . . . he is correct, but I'm sure the average reader on this site is more up-to-date than the mechanic that was working on my bike today.

·
Registered
126 Posts

Hey Man....!!
Sorry I've been out of the loop for a bit - riding more... reading less :))) Trip to AL was great and thoroughly needed it too:) I'm sorry to hear about your tribulations on this and I'm VERY glad you've got all the kinks worked out:)!! Thanks for the info too about radio / XM needing a flash (first I've heard of that move). Takes all kinds indeed.... Ride Safe - enjoy da tunes:))))
VVVet

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.