xct fairing rattles between 2000-2500 rpm | Victory Motorcycles: Motorcycle Forums

xct fairing rattles between 2000-2500 rpm

Discussion in 'Victory Cross Country' started by Bovanni, Jun 27, 2020 at 2:05 PM.

1. Bovanni

Bovanni New Member

Type of Motorcycle Currently Riding:
    Victory Cross Country Tour
    Took the bike in for an oil change and a small kickstand repair. Leaving the parking lot after the job, I noticed a loud rattle I'd never heard before coming from the front end. Told the shop about it and left the bike for them to troubleshoot. Over the last 2 days they have tightened the fairing lowers, windshield, and anything else on the outside. It still rattles, so am leaving with them to disassemble the fairing to try to find the rattle. ( I don't have an indoor work space and it's pushing 100 degrees here).
    The rattle is definitely in the fairing, isn't constant, and can be heard around 2000 and 3000 rpm, whether moving or not. You can also easily feel it by placing your hand on the top of the dash.
    The shop is a Victory (now Indian) dealer. I've been going there for years and trust them. The lead mechanic tells me this noise is something he's heard before, and it can be hard to find and fix.
    Has anyone here had this problem and fixed it?

2. 1stVictory

1stVictory Well-Known Member

2012 Pearl White CC Tour
    Tapping wire inside?

3. Bovanni

Bovanni New Member

Victory Cross Country Tour

4. primethious

primethious Well-Known Member

2012 Victory Cross Roads
    A common rattle was from the headlight. I don't recall the exact fix, but it is fixable with some creativity.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. wickman

wickman Active Member

2016 Victory XCT & 2007 KINGPIN
    Try putting some folded cardboard between the fairing where ever there is a gap from fairing meeting surfaces. It takes about 10 minutes to remove fairing , very easily done , get the proper tools organized together and go find some shade.

6. slickvic

slickvic Well-Known Member

2011 Cross Country
    Ok. This was my rattle. Believe it or not I found it finally when I went to install an amp and new windshield. The black plastic cover for the posts that the windshield mounts to have no cushion between them. I removed the black plastic cover exposing the 2 aluminum posts which the windshield bolts to. They are mounted to the top of the Aluminum support for the inner (dash) and outer fairing. Put a piece of foam or rubber between them ( the post and the cover) remount your shield. You’ll know if that’s the problem cause when you remove the shield the plastic will feel loose and sloppy. Fixed my problem which sounds identical to yours.

• Agree Agree x 1