VOG Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I'mapproaching a right or left hand turn, I put my turn signal on, expecting it to stay on until I complete the turn (self cancelling). What I'm finding is that the turn signal stays on for 4, maybe 5 flashes, thencancels itself out. I need to once again push the turn signal button for it to stay on. Is this "normal" for this bike? I've asked my dealer about this, and they can't find anything wrong with them.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Mine are working just fine. They stay on until I make the turn and then the go off in a couple of feet after the turn is made.

·
Registered
4,500 Posts
Breezy said:
When I'mapproaching a right or left hand turn, I put my turn signal on, expecting it to stay on until I complete the turn (self cancelling). What I'm finding is that the turn signal stays on for 4, maybe 5 flashes, thencancels itself out. I need to once again push the turn signal button for it to stay on. Is this "normal" for this bike? I've asked my dealer about this, and they can't find anything wrong with them.
It's not like a car where they click off when you turn. It takes into consideration the rate of speed. I believe the faster you are traveling the less time itwill blink. I alwaysgive mine anotherpush at busy intersections while turning left.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Mine seems to only go off after I have turned. I have waited to turn left at long lights and it doesn't go off until I turn. If I have waited a long time, it will go off the minute I turn otherwise it is several feet down the road.

·
Registered
7,141 Posts
Turn signals are speed related, if you are traveling above that set speed chances are it will cancel before your turn is made, so when coming to at turn get into the habit of tapping it again just before starting the turn. When turn is completed as you increase your speed, (a set speed) they will cancel.

·
Registered
4,500 Posts

elooker said:
Mine seems to only go off after I have turned. I have waited to turn left at long lights and it doesn't go off until I turn. If I have waited a long time, it will go off the minute I turn otherwise it is several feet down the road.
Again it all speed related. At a stop it will not cancel

·
Registered
356 Posts
I know I read somewhere in the manual that if you hold the turn signal for 1 second then it shuts off after 10 seconds, and if you hold it for less then a second it will stay on until you shut it off.

It's page 65 in my manual.

·
Registered
2,995 Posts
not sure but this is the best logic they've had for their self cancelling in all the years other than 04 when you had to turn them off yourself(or wait for a diode to fail).

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the feedback. I read also that it's speed related. I've already gotten into the habit oftapping it again after my first attempt at signaling... and it's probably more an issue as I'm not riding alone, I've got others behind me that I like to give plenty of notice to ofthe upcoming turn. As with everything, it's just a case of getting use to it, and it'llbecome second nature soon enough. Thanks again for sharing your views on this topic!

·
Registered
250 Posts
Mine (06 Vegas) is dependent on speed also, cancels before I make my turn sometimes on the highway. I need to get in the habit of re pushing the button or other drivers may think I changed my mind about turning. Also if I turn into a big parking lot or other place where I don't get up to speed the signal wont cancel & I'm driving around with the signal on like I'm from FL. ;-)

·
Registered
177 Posts
Breezy said:
I have the same experience and it's surprisingly more annoying then one would think because I can't take for granted that my flashers are actually signaling that I will be making a turn...

my HD SG had self canceling, but the logic was way better and worked nicely- i'm thinking they could probably tweak this with a software upgrade though.....?

·
Registered
1,538 Posts

Chas_K said:
Mine (06 Vegas) is dependent on speed also, cancels before I make my turn sometimes on the highway. I need to get in the habit of re pushing the button or other drivers may think I changed my mind about turning. Also if I turn into a big parking lot or other place where I don't get up to speed the signal wont cancel & I'm driving around with the signal on like I'm from FL. ;-)
+1 with my 09 Vegas.
All the best,
Paul.
(From the UK).

·
Registered
7,186 Posts
I have it happen a lot and it's irritating. They often quit blinking just as you come up to the intersection. I have enough to do approaching an intersection, watching oncoming traffic, downshifting, braking, without needing to keep checking the damn blinkers.

Reactions: mchesterman

·
Registered
145 Posts
My signal will turn of prematurely. About 100-150 feet before turn I put signal on and just prior to the corner I look down and signal has turned off so I hit it again just so the guy behind me doesn't hit in the A$$. Now I'm told by Polaris/Victory to count how many times it flashes before shutting off are you kidding me ? Besides braking , downshifting , watching the other guy , oncoming traffic I have to count the flashes to ? Wow I should have been a Magician to.

:bsflag:

Reactions: mchesterman

·
Registered
8,075 Posts
take it to the dealers and park it and turn on the blinker and tell them to count the blinks till it shuts off....

·
Registered
145 Posts
I took it to the dealer and they contacted the Tech's at Victory/Polaris and said it's normal. The dealer never counted the flashes though. This complaint was put in same time with my right side saddle bag with latch wearing so it's documented. When I last spoke to Victory/Polaris this past Friday the 26th of Dec. I was asked to count flashes next time I ride. Well it's in the 20's here in Connecticut.But I will check. Thanks for the feed back. garbear.

·
Registered
203 Posts
I have had the same happen to me on my 2 XC's
The bike has to be moving and will cancel out after 4 flashes when its in the not working correctly mode hit the indicator switch again and it will work correctly.
We fitted a new ECU on the 2010 XC same problem I was hoping my 2012 XC would be good but not the case.
I would say it's a software problem.

·
Registered
171 Posts
From the 2012-2013 Service Manual
Turn Signal Switch With the ignition key in the ON or PARK position, the turn signal switch will activate the turn signals. •Push the switch left to activate left turn signals •Push the switch right to activate right turn signals •To manually cancel either turn signal, push the switch straight in toward housing when the switch is in the center position. If activated below 15mph* (24 kph), the turn signals cancel automatically, shortly after the vehicle speed reaches 15mph. If a signal is activated with vehicle speed above 15 mph, cancellation will occur based on distance traveled. NOTE: If a signal is activated above 15 mph and vehicle speed drops below 15 mph, cancellation will occur shortly after speed again reaches 15 mph. * The 15mph speed is approximate

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.