VOG Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking at pulling the pin for a black 2011

I have read much about wind management and experienced bad buffing on a 2010 with 11 Cee Baileys and Vic lowers

I want to keep a lower profile shield. SO, whats the best shield out there with that in mind I am 5'11 and like to look over a shield.

Looks like I should make my own lowers. Only thing I dont like about the MS mounts is the alum in lieu of a nice chrome or black

Kewl metal deflectors look kind of weird but if they work ok..I see the HD Road glides are using something like it also.

Ok any problems with IPOD cord?

Thinking of the passenger backrest, I have a brand new luggage rack for the Vision that might be the same fit

Anything else I should know??

Might get it next weekend so I can get the service in before winter in the great Canadian North..way north!

THX for any advise, suggestions, comments or input.

We love our 2010 KP and 09 Vision but with keeper riding again the Vision may be overkill and the XC just right

·
Registered
17 Posts

Hello brother UN/Nato Brother,
I own a '10 XC and I have the Vic tall windshield and wind deflectors installed. I'm 6'1" and I am just looking over the shield. Talking with other members who are the same height, say the Cee Bailey's 15" shield works excellent. I might go that route. As for the Ipod cord, I have no issues. As for the passenger backrest, I'm considering getting the tour trunk so my backrest might be for sale. If your ever down in Petawawa, you can check it out.

·
Registered
3,394 Posts
@ 5'11" I would recommend the Gustoffsen +4 flip shield, Kewlmetal wingletts and factory lowers. The look is good and the performance is the best of all the windshield / lower combo's I've tried and as you can see from the list below, I have tried most of them.

Factory Stock
Factory Tall
Factory Flip
Cee Bailey's 9"
Cee Bailey's 11"
Cee Bailey's 13"
Gustoffson +2
Gustoffson +4

Factory Lowers
Home Made larger lowers
Kewlmetal wingletts

My current configuration @ 5'9" is the Gustoffson +4, Wingletts and factory lowers and it's a very nice ride.

·
Registered
207 Posts
I installed the iPod connector two weekends ago and it is a great accessory.

I have the factory trunk and we're very happy with it. The boss says it's comfy, it holds two full-size helmets (or my workout stuff, gloves, headgear, shinguards, etc.) and it looks great on the bike.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Good to meet a Brother here. I am the Prairie's Rep taking over for Jimmy while he heads as far south as he can on an adventure bike.

Might get through your way next summer, hoping to get down to the Sarnia/London/Chatham area to see family.
Hey you may have been at my son in law's patching in. MCPL Chris Downey and my daughter , Sari. he was hit by an IED May 3rd in the GHAN. I arranged to have him and his Dad patched in while he was in Ottawa. Chris and I organized a bike night for MFRC and raised over 13000$ in one night. Chris is doing really well considering.

ANyway, I will take all the advise here. I may be pulling the pin as I said this week so would likely order the back rest unless yours is available now? Are they a quick disconnect

jackal8392 said:
Hello brother UN/Nato Brother,
I own a '10 XC and I have the Vic tall windshield and wind deflectors installed. I'm 6'1" and I am just looking over the shield. Talking with other members who are the same height, say the Cee Bailey's 15" shield works excellent. I might go that route. As for the Ipod cord, I have no issues. As for the passenger backrest, I'm considering getting the tour trunk so my backrest might be for sale. If your ever down in Petawawa, you can check it out.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Thanks, IPOD cord for sure, I love the one on my Vision and use it 95% of the time I am sure.
No trunk for me but the backrest is good to go I think.

Cheers!

Jagular said:
I installed the iPod connector two weekends ago and it is a great accessory.

I have the factory trunk and we're very happy with it. The boss says it's comfy, it holds two full-size helmets (or my workout stuff, gloves, headgear, shinguards, etc.) and it looks great on the bike.

·
Registered
332 Posts
IPOD no problem. It works great, but the IPOD doesn't like bathing in coffee.(secure your drinks)

I'm using the Cee Bailey's 15". Planing on getting lowers, but wind isn't really bothering me.

You may be able to fit that Vision rack on the XC backrest, but you'll have to modify it and/or the bracket. The XC backrest mounts outside the fender. So, it's a wider set.

Just ordered the trunk. May have a backrest for sale soon. I purchased a JP rack and am thinking of fabricating a bracket for it to fit the XC. I saw that someone did this on a Vision. That's when I noticed how much more narrow the Vision backrest mount is compared to the XC.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Thanks, I think the windshield may be the hardest part to get the right one. I like to look over the shield but I dont want a barn door goldwing look either.

No drinking and riding so the IPOD is safe, I like were it is on my vision.
The back rest and mount for the passenger is a quick disconnect from what I can tell?
So are you selling the whole assy? everything i would need? and if so, how much?

Hoping to get a deal together next week coming up.
THX

tsdavis said:
IPOD no problem. It works great, but the IPOD doesn't like bathing in coffee.(secure your drinks)

I'm using the Cee Bailey's 15". Planing on getting lowers, but wind isn't really bothering me.

You may be able to fit that Vision rack on the XC backrest, but you'll have to modify it and/or the bracket. The XC backrest mounts outside the fender. So, it's a wider set.

Just ordered the trunk. May have a backrest for sale soon. I purchased a JP rack and am thinking of fabricating a bracket for it to fit the XC. I saw that someone did this on a Vision. That's when I noticed how much more narrow the Vision backrest mount is compared to the XC.

·
Registered
332 Posts
I have the backrest and a JP rack, but haven't made the mount for it yet.

I couldn't justify the $400+ price for the factory rack and saw that many were making their own. So, just the backrest for now. Heck, maybe I'll keep the setup once I get it done.

Contact this guy for a set. Looks like the price is right.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Cross-Country-Roads-Backrest-and-Sissy-Bar-rack-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem3a5e9b2e45QQitemZ250695331397QQptZMotorcyclesQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

Auction is over, but didn't sell.

·
Registered
368 Posts
I'm about 5'11" and have the 13" Cee Baileys with the Vic lowers. 95% of the wind problem was solved and the remaining I would expect....we are on a motorcycle and I want a little bit of wind hitting me !!

I put on the pass backrest, the boss says it is nice. If I go on a long trip, the boss has her own bike so I dont have storage issues. My pack gets strapped down to the pass seat/backrest and the rest in the bags...plenty of room for me. I have no intention of dropping another $400 for the luggage rack from Vic, I dont need it but thats me. If I rode 2-up all the time on a trip, I could see where it would be nice.

I also recently bought the driver backrest, which is removed in seconds if I dont want it. Its nice to have the option as my back is a little bad...sometimes I need/want it, sometimes I dont. Nice to have the option and it fits in my bags so I can stash it out of the way if I dont want it, but have it with just in case.

I also put pegs on the highway bars and love them...nice option to stretch the legs even more.

Once I solved the wind buffeting...I have nothing bad to say about this bike and love it. I bought it in May and have about 6k miles on it. Took it across SD in 97-98 degree heat in July and no issues, rode great. I think it handles better at slow speeds than my 07 vegas 8-ball did. My first Vic was an 04 touring cruiser and although I liked that bike, the XC is far superior for touring.

·
Registered
423 Posts
mjw930 said:
@ 5'11" I would recommend the Gustoffsen +4 flip shield, Kewlmetal wingletts and factory lowers. The look is good and the performance is the best of all the windshield / lower combo's I've tried and as you can see from the list below, I have tried most of them.

Factory Stock
Factory Tall
Factory Flip
Cee Bailey's 9"
Cee Bailey's 11"
Cee Bailey's 13"
Gustoffson +2
Gustoffson +4

I would like to see a picture of you sitting on your bike with your current setup. I am considering the +4 and I am you height. Did you sell the +2 or do you use it sometimes?

Factory Lowers
Home Made larger lowers
Kewlmetal wingletts

My current configuration @ 5'9" is the Gustoffson +4, Wingletts and factory lowers and it's a very nice ride.

·
Registered
7,186 Posts
I'm 6'1" with a 32" inseam. I have the Vic tall shield and it works great for me as I look about 2" over the top of it. I added the kewlmetal winglets (my homemade version) as well and they really smoothed out the airflow. 80-90% of the buffeting is gone with this combo, I may add the factory lowers as well.

·
Registered
63 Posts

mjw930 said:

Factory Stock
Factory Tall
Factory Flip
Cee Bailey's 9"
Cee Bailey's 11"
Cee Bailey's 13"
Gustoffson +2
Gustoffson +4

Factory Lowers
Home Made larger lowers
Kewlmetal wingletts

Did a search for Gustoffson windshields and couldn't find them . Could you post a link?
Thanks

·
Registered
120 Posts
BigRedXerII said:
mjw930 said:

Factory Stock
Factory Tall
Factory Flip
Cee Bailey's 9"
Cee Bailey's 11"
Cee Bailey's 13"
Gustoffson +2
Gustoffson +4

Factory Lowers
Home Made larger lowers
Kewlmetal wingletts

Did a search for Gustoffson windshields and couldn't find them . Could you post a link?
Thanks
http://www.bikescreen.com/
The above is the web site. I have Gustoffson+2 windscreen with a flip. I'm 5'11"
and love the screen. Take a look at my pics and you can see it on the bike. Yes it's dark but that's what I like.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I'm 6.0' with a 32" inseam. I ordered the Cee Bailee's 17" windscreen, and it was way too tall. I sent it back and had them cut 3" off of it, and that seems pretty much perfect for me. Great customer service.

I got the Ipod extender and it works great.

I got the standard backrest, and the wife says it's 'fine.' Not a glowing endorsement, I realize, but since she's started planning vacations on the bike (when I couldn't get her to ride across the street on my last bike!), I figure it can't be too bad.

I got the soft lower 'close outs' for wind deflection. They're awesome in the cold, but they trap all the heat from the engine, so they're uncomfortable in the heat. Easy on, Easy off, though, so I'm still pretty pleased.

Other stuff: That engine puts out a ton of heat. The right pipe bumps up against the floorboard, so if your feet are all the way back, you'll get heat on your boot. If there's water in the spark plug wells it'll boil and sploog out on your engines and tranny box, but it's easy to wipe off. If you overfill the saddlebags, they're hard to latch (I know, shocker). There is some engine noise, some buffeting with the stock windshield, yada yada yada, but for me, at least, none of that stuff was anywhere near as bad as the posts make them seem. More like just idiosyncrasies of the machine.

All in all, it's exactly what it seems to be -- a freakin' awesome machine with plenty of power, storage and style, and a couple of quirks but no deal-breakers.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Hobb said:
All in all, it's exactly what it seems to be -- a freakin' awesome machine with plenty of power, storage and style, and a couple of quirks but no deal-breakers.
+1

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.