XC or Vision... I Just Can't Decide | Victory Motorcycles: Motorcycle Forums

XC or Vision... I Just Can't Decide

Discussion in 'Victory General Discussion' started by steve76t, Mar 9, 2013.

1. steve76t

steve76t Member

Type of Motorcycle Currently Riding:
    '13 Victory Vision - Sunset Red
    Hi All,
    I'm getting ready to buy a new ride this spring and thought I wanted the XC (Sunset Red w/blacked out engine, pipes, etc). I rode a couple XC's last year and love the ride. HOWEVER, the more I look the more I think I might want the Vision (also Sunset Red) instead of the XC.
    The XC has more storage & more traditional styling, includes iPod connection & upgraded stereo/speakers, very cool backed out engine/pipes/crashbar & forks. However, it would require additional parts to make it ready for long trips with the wife on the back. If I go with the XC I'll be having to add the passenger backrest & luggage rack, passenger floorboards, Klockwerks flip windshield, and maybe the Tri-Oval Stage one exhaust/intake system.
    The Vision has tiny little side bags which may be it's biggest drawback. It does have heated grips & seats, electric windshield, linked braking, goofy looking trunk but damn nice look with it removed (wouldnt have it on except during long vacation trips as the wife has her own bike). The only thing I'd really need to add to the Vision is the Stage 1 exhaust/intake system.
    I've ridden a Vision but that was 3 or 4 years ago. I've ridden the XC a couple times last year. Never ridden them both back to back to compare the two. I hear the Visions are supposed to have a better handling and a little better power delivery.
    I really like the Vision but the wife DOES NOT. She rides her own bike 90% of the time, but does like to ride on the back of my bike occasionally. The wife likes the look of the XC much more than the Vision. I on the otherhand love the look of the Vision (especially without the trunk on). I also like the idea of the Vision having better handling characteristics as I'm a freak for twisty mountain roads. But I know the XC will handle the twisties well too. Had followed one once while I was on my Roadstar and when that rider decided to leave me, I couldn't get close to keeping up. I tried very hard, pushed the Roadstar as hard as it'd let me, scrapped floorboards through every corner, and had no chance of catching back up to him. What an effin' jerk!
    Anyway... Which way would you go if you were buying a new bike this spring? XC or Vision? So to all you XC riders out there... Can you convince me that my wife is right and the XC is the better choice?

2. steve76t

steve76t Member

'13 Victory Vision - Sunset Red
    Vision? XC? Cant Decide!
    Hi All,
    I'm getting ready to buy a new ride this spring and thought I wanted the XC (Sunset Red w/blacked out engine, pipes, etc). I rode a couple XC's last year and love the ride. HOWEVER, the more I look the more I think I might want the Vision (also Sunset Red) instead of the XC.
    The XC has more storage & more traditional styling, includes iPod connection & upgraded stereo/speakers, very cool backed out engine/pipes/crashbar & forks. However, it would require additional parts to make it ready for long trips with the wife on the back. If I go with the XC I'll be having to add the passenger backrest & luggage rack, passenger floorboards, Klockwerks flip windshield, and maybe the Tri-Oval Stage one exhaust/intake system.
    The Vision has tiny little side bags which may be it's biggest drawback. It does have heated grips & seats, electric windshield, linked braking, goofy looking trunk but damn nice look with it removed (wouldnt have it on except during long vacation trips as the wife has her own bike). The only thing I'd really need to add to the Vision is the Stage 1 exhaust/intake system.
    I've ridden a Vision but that was 3 or 4 years ago. I've ridden the XC a couple times last year. Never ridden them both back to back to compare the two. I hear the Visions are supposed to have a better handling and a little better power delivery.
    I really like the Vision but the wife DOES NOT. She rides her own bike 90% of the time, but does like to ride on the back of my bike occasionally. The wife likes the look of the XC much more than the Vision. I on the otherhand love the look of the Vision (especially without the trunk on). I also like the idea of the Vision having better handling characteristics as I'm a freak for twisty mountain roads. But I know the XC will handle the twisties well too. Had followed one once while I was on my Roadstar and when that rider decided to leave me, I couldn't get close to keeping up. I tried very hard, pushed the Roadstar as hard as it'd let me, scrapped floorboards through every corner, and had no chance of catching back up to him. What an effin' jerk!

Anyway... Which way would you go if you were buying a new bike this spring? XC or Vision? So to all you Vision riders out there... Can you convince me that I'm right (the wife is wrong) and the Vision is the better choice?

3. Volkmeister

Volkmeister New Member

2014 Indian Chieftain #1117

The tenor of your entry seems to tilt toward the Vision. Go with your gut.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. oilmagnet

oilmagnet New Member

2014 XCT LE / 2010 Vision

I have put many miles on my vision. It's best described as cruising the country in my favorite lazy boy strapped onto a Cadillac.All my HD buddies girl friends and wives climb on after 400 miles to get relief. As far as packing for long trips, the passenger seat will easily hold 8 changes of clothes. As far as the cross-country goes. I hope to have my new 15th Anniversary XCT in a few weeks. Then I could weigh in with more information.
    I stopped off at a local bike hang out a couple of weeks ago. After 5 minutes a small crowd assembled taking pictures and gawking at my road dirt covered vision. This happens everywhere I go.

• Like Like x 2
  5. flumpydog

flumpydog OT-CAN

2011 Victory Cross Roads

Sounds to me like you already made the decision, go with the Vision. As you said, your wife rides her own bike 90% of the time, so why worry so much about what she likes.

6. FlaMike

FlaMike Member

2013 F6B (mine) 2013 Vegas 8ball (hers)

You gotta buy the bike you like. I'm in a similar boat, wife rides her own. So my bike choice is my decision. Sorry honey.

Ask her to look at Vision from the back, I think they look good from the back w/o trunk (which is easily removed)
    That's pretty much what her view will be.

Good luck!

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. bubba

bubba Well-Known Member

2006 Kingpin

Both great choices..The Vision would be my choice!

8. Lostintexas

Lostintexas Well-Known Member

Cross Country Tour (RIP)

Get what you like, but the coparison of a XC and a Vision is not a comparison, they are too far apart. If you like the XC platform, look into the XCT. It comes with your heated grips, seat, removeable trunk via quick release, excellent wind management out of the box and your IPOD connecter.
    I doubt a vision has better handling, well I didn't notice it, but I was ignorant at the time that I was supposed to pay homage, and fall over in awe when in the presence of a Vision. Power? Maybe because of the air intake design, but I couldn't feel it on test rides. Again I didn't know I was supposed to, I was comparing what I wanted.
    Vision looks are polarizing, and were meant to be. Storage, tiny. Someone will come along and tell you they can pack for a month in one saddlebag, well I can't and neither can most folks. You do get an electric windshield that seems to be the most important thing in life to a few, that is all they talk about.
    Check out all your options and at least look at the tour. You may just want the blacked out because you do, but you are looking at two completely different set up machines and trying to squeeze them together, and that isn't fair t them or you.
    Good luck on the shopping

9. Trekwolf164

Trekwolf164 Well-Known Member

Victory Vision,Slingshot

Buy the XC.

If momma is not happy,no one is happy.

Ride safe

• Useful Useful x 1
  10. phoenix9

phoenix9 Well-Known Member

2012 Cross Roads Classic Limited Edition #001

After reading one of the above posts I guess we better start being nicer to the XCT folks! [​IMG]
    As for the Vision vs XC it was already correctly stated that there is no comparison.....you need to look at the "Tour" model if you go that direction. I also agree with the others on here that since your wife already has her own bike this one should be YOUR decision.
    Without hurting anyone's feelings, the Vision is a freaking OUTSTANDING bike.....best I have ever riden for 1000 miles in a day.

11. marvin24

marvin24 Member

2013 Sunset Red Victory Vision
    I have the 2013 Sunset Red Vision a d I love it ride is great handling is great the only problem is the storage compaired to the XCT either one will make u a great ride. Be safe!

12. marvin24

marvin24 Member

2013 Sunset Red Victory Vision
    I have the 2013 Sunset Red Vision a d I love it ride is great handling is great the only problem is the storage compaired to the XCT either one will make u a great ride. Be safe!

13. Nessie044

Nessie044 Well-Known Member

2013 Vision

I'm with Volk and Flump. It sound's like you're a Vision owner and just don't know it yet.

There are only two things I've ever heard anyone fault the Vision on - the way it looks and its storage capacity. IMO, for someone primarily touring solo, the storage thing is a non-issue. There are VOG members who have ridden from here to Timbuktu on their Vision without a whimper that they couldn't carry enough stuff with them. Do the XC's sidebags carry more? No question, but in your case, I'd hardly think that would be the deciding factor. And despite what the detractors say, you can get a lot of shizz in the Vision's side pockets if you really try.

I'm beginning to sound like a broken record with this, but it's true. There are respected members of the VOG who used to own Visions and who are now on X bikes that will tell you the Vision is hands-down the better handlingmachine. That's no rip on the X bikes, but it speaks volumes for the Vision. I'm pushing up against the 30K markon my Vision, and probably close tothree-fourths of those miles have been spent riding mountain roads, some little more than paved goattrails. I guarantee there's no way you're going to be disappointed in the way the Vision handles the twisties.

There is one feature of the Vision that could potentially cause you trouble and that is its ability to render other bikes invisible. If your wife is the least bit prideful about her bike (and thischildishness seems to be more a thing for us menfolk), she would begin to resent the Vision.There are guys I ride withwho have developed a complexaboutthe over-the-top attention the Vision receives everywhere you go. If I had a dollar for everyone who's taken a picture of or staredstunned and glassy-eyed at myVision, I could afford that Lloydz Big Bore kit.

As others have said, your gut will leadyou to the right bike. The fact that you're looking at a Vic as your next scoot means you can't lose either way. Keep us posted on what you end up with.

@Andy - I can't be certain, but it sure looks like someone hacked Trekkie's account and is posting stuff the real Trekwolf would never write.

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. Trekwolf164

Trekwolf164 Well-Known Member

Victory Vision,Slingshot

My account has not been hacked.

Gunny would probably say it better than I but

Every Marine is a soldier not every soldier is a Marine.

Every Vision is a Victory Motorcycle Not every Victory Motorcycle is a Vision.

It takes the right person to decide if they really want to be one of the few ,the proud,The Vision Pilot.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  15. Nessie044

Nessie044 Well-Known Member

2013 Vision