VOG Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After spending some time on another bike, I realized something's up with the front brake on the XC. Lots of lever movement with nothing and then Bam! all stop. Most noticeable when stopping at a light. Very unpredictable. I think it's been gradual.
I opened the brake master cylinder and the diaphragm was partially expanded. I topped it off with no change.
I'm guessing the front system needs bleeding. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
3,394 Posts
It sounds like a good bleed along with making sure all the connections are tight should solve your problem.

I had a very small leak at the banjo bolt on the bottom of the master cylinder. I would get a drop or two on the tank after a ride. I loosened it up slightly, making sure to surround the fitting with towels so nothing dripped on the paint, moved it back side to side to free up the brass washers and re-tightened it and it's been dry every since. Before I did that I noticed some spongy feeling that's pretty much gone now.

I also noticed they brakes work very well but aren't as solid feeling as some other bikes. I think there's some expansion in the calipers or brake lines that accounts for this. If you are getting the toggle switch effect then you have air in the lines.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.