VOG Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I ordered the Kuryakyn seat made by Mustang for my Goldwing.
My dealer had the driver backrest mount in stock for my XC but not he backrest.
I installed the BR mount yesterday. Today my new seat came in for my GW with the mustang backrest for the seat.
I put it on my XC. Fit snug with a slight movement from side to side.
AT $165 that is a good savings.
I will check it out more tomorrow with the seat off to make sure it will work without causing any problems.
The mustang back rest has better adjustments.
just a thought

dd

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
After using the mustang backrest for a few days I think I will not need to change the bars now. I have nothing to compare them to since the victory backrest has not come in yet. If they are alike it could save ya $40
You can adjust the backrest to move you forward. I added a threaded spacer and cut it to length to move the backrest where I wanted. Feels good now.
Now if momma's backrest will come.

just a thought

dd

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I got my Vic backrest for my XC. Although there is a savings with the mustang br I would go with the Victory BR. 3 reasons the adjustment screw is longer so you have better options to move it forward or reward. 2) there is a cool little storage on the back, 3) the locks on the BR arm is better and will lock as where the mustang is only by pressure due to the slots on the BR.
Unless you already have a mustang BR.

just a thought
dd

·
Registered
666 Posts

dd, the draw back with the Victory one is the bar is bent inward.. I had to take it apart and turn everything around. And now it works but to me just does not look right.. Oh well...
Also, once U turn it around, the notches that are in it to keep it solid are now no good.. Backwards.. I have heard of some bending the bar, I may try that..

·
Registered
44 Posts
Vic back rest I also turned the backrest bar and supporting bracket under the seat around. the little flip lip on the bracket under the seat was still holding the seat back a little too far forward for me, so a little grinding helped. Now i don't feel as if I'm being pushed forward.

·
Registered
44 Posts
back rest mount I reversed the entire bracket under the seat. there was a backing plate that was curved at the top. after the bracket was reversed the curve now faced the front. so the curved portion held the backrest bar slanted to the front. i ground off the curved portion till it was almost flat. this allowed the post to sit in a more vertical postion. If this is not clear let me know.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Sorry, but not clear to me. The mounting bracket mounts to the bike with 2 large bolts into the frame. The area that holds the flat vertical backrest bar is fastened to this with 4 smaller cap screws. I tried to put this piece with the flexible stop for the vertical bar on the backside of the main bracket. Vertical flat bar will then not slide into the slot. What am I not understanding about this? A picture might help.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Since seeing the pix, and looking at my bike. I can understand what you did. I just need to go out and grind down that tab, or heat it and bend it straight up. I see your located just north of me, I'm in Inverness. Thanx for the info.

·
Registered
44 Posts
back rest Hope it works for you....seems to for me. Yea, we are about 40 miles north of you. route 41 to passes just a few miles from the house. be glad to meet up for a ride some time.

·
Registered
44 Posts
backrest while I had the seat off today I made a slight change. the seat mounting holes were a little off, made it hard to line up bolts. the mounting threads in the frame seem to be pretty soft material - I almost cross threaded one of the bolts. I removed the big base mount and with a rat tail file I elongated the hole slightly,about half the thickness of the bracket metal (less than 1/8"). material is so soft that it only took about 2 minutes or less. reinstalled the mounting bracket and slide it forward slightly. this allowed the bolt holes to line up perfectly. I also rolled up the passenger grab strap and left it under the seat.wife may make me pull it out later. How many miles you got on XC? I only have about 68. Happy riding......

·
Registered
301 Posts
I had my strap rolled & electrical tied to keep it cleaned up, BUT today I decided it wouldn't be used. Cut it off. Picked mine up 0n July 28th, now have a little over 3900 mile. I enjoy this ride!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
5,041 Posts
I'm very happy with the Utopia BR. It's wider and goes on around a little farther giving a better feeling of support. I went with the quick release as well so I can take it off when just riding around town without my lady friend. I like the way it adjusts up and down as well. Basically, once you get it where you like it, it's pretty much done but adjustments can be made on the fly if the padded cover isn't on the upright. http://www.utpr.com/crosscountryroad.html

·
Registered
48 Posts
Utopia BR Does the Utopia come with all of the needed hardware and mount, if so it is a cheaper alternative @ $215
BBob said:
I'm very happy with the Utopia BR. It's wider and goes on around a little farther giving a better feeling of support. I went with the quick release as well so I can take it off when just riding around town without my lady friend. I like the way it adjusts up and down as well. Basically, once you get it where you like it, it's pretty much done but adjustments can be made on the fly if the padded cover isn't on the upright. http://www.utpr.com/crosscountryroad.html

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.