VOG Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
has any body replaced the the output shaft on their xc? mine is worn out an an new front sprocket will last about a month before it is loose. any easy way to replace this or do you have to split the cases ?

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
Are you sure it’s the shaft & not the sprocket that’s the issue? Generally the output shaft/splines are hardened steel & the sprocket is softer steel that will sacrifice itself if it becomes loose and leave the shaft, that requires case splitting to replace, intact. If the splines are good-Red Loctite, tourqing to spec, & bending the retaining plate ears to lock the sprocket in should do the trick. If the shaft splines are toast you have a time consuming/expen$ive fix in your future.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Uh oh. That looks bad. Looks like your drive sprocket was loose for a long time and was pounding away on the shaft. Byte is correct in his statement that the shafts are usually harder than the sprocket. Maybe you got an inadequately hardened shaft? How many miles you got on your bike?

Reactions: ByteN2it

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
This is just me-If I was in the same situation at this stage of my life & with Victory's gone-I'd clean the out put shaft & slather it with JB Weld, slip a new sprocket on, torque the crap out of with my impact drive, maybe put a couple of tack welds on with the retaining plate & ride. You got nothin'n to lose unless you need an excuse for a engine upgrade/winter project.

·
Registered
4,878 Posts
This is just me-If I was in the same situation at this stage of my life & with Victory's gone-I'd clean the out put shaft & slather it with JB Weld, slip a new sprocket on, torque the crap out of with my impact drive, maybe put a couple of tack welds on with the retaining plate & ride. You got nothin'n to lose unless you need an excuse for a engine upgrade/winter project.
I was thinking the same thing. I'm not sure something that hardened wouldn't just crack and break apart. I guess it has to be tried to find out making sure to give a few days to really set up. I was thinking more along the lines of silicone to fill the space but only harden enough to stay in place and give the slack some cushion so it wouldn't rattle or make the spline worse.

Both are theoretical ideas and worth trying before taking the engine completely out and apart I think. Nothing lost but some time.

It's the constant back and forth torque on the shaft that has me concerned. Even if either of these ideas or something else only works for a season or two of riding; it could put the job of splitting cases and replacing that shaft off by years. I would probably try to locate a low mile wrecked bike that the engine had been taken out then use it. This engine could then be sent to Rylan Vos or other reputable engine re-builder for repair or sold as is for someone else to deal with. Maybe Rylan himself would buy it as a trade-in for a future customer or something.

·
Registered
4,878 Posts
It is Thanksgiving weekend BBob. This isn't Facebook where people think you're dead if you don't post everyday
If you say so. I don't do Fecesbook so I don't know what it's like there. I do know when someone is looking for info they normally follow up to the answers/questions to their questions otherwise why even bother asking in the first place? Why not wait until they have time to pay attention?

Then again maybe the OP forgot he was going on vacation in an hour or so. Anything is possible including having a job that allows limited access to the Internet like I said. It's just curious is all. I don't think anyone should be getting their panties in a bunch about it. I sure didn't. I'm sure there's a perfectly logical explanation.

·
Registered
4,555 Posts
Now my Wonder Woman Panties are all bunched up. I've gone a week without coming on here myself, due to work or whatever. I do get withdrawal, but I guess it goes with the territory.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Dammit, now my undies are all bunched too!!! Work out of town so I don't do the internet much when I'm away. If I ask a question, I'll get the answer eventually. If I ask a question this time of year, it doesn't matter if I don't get the answer for months as the snow really hampers a good ride here in Canada! Makes drifting easier though------

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.