VOG Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi i own a 07 vegas with 7102 miles. I just changed fuel pump, pressure regulator, and filters . cleaned throttle bodies and air filter. (K&n filter). Changed plugs and wires. So put back together filled tank with shell 91 octane primed pump and went to start and would fire finally get it to fire it would idle for 3secs and die. Let bike sit for about a week and tried to ire again fired right up idled for 4secs idle great then started to misfire and backfire then died. I hear fuel pump running in tank im just at whits end . this is my very 1st motorcycle and i bought a victory because its supposed to be bullit proof. Had it for a month now and only rode for a week and a half.then then bike wouldnt stay running . was told by a shop that it was fuel pump and it would cost 1000.00 dollars. So i bought the fuel pump ,reg, and orings, rubber gromets. Thats where im out need help just dont want to give up on my vegas. ran great for the week and half.thats when i fell in love with her. Just want to enjoy her not just look at her. Thanks everyone for listening to my short story.

·
Premium Member
1,439 Posts
Do the 2007s have an Idle Air Control? If so, that might be a place to look.

·
Super Moderator
26,128 Posts
An 07 with so little miles was obviously not ridden. What did you do before starting to ride it, if anything?

Drain the old fuel?

·
Registered
5,092 Posts
My first guess is the battery or battery connections. Sounds like the battery might have a bad cell. Mine just did the same thing. Would start, idle a little, then die. Changed the battery and it’s good to go.

·
Registered
23,463 Posts
I bought a victory because its supposed to be bullit proof.
So... You bought your first motorcycle and chose one that was manufactured 12 years ago. The bike was ridden 600 miles a year, so it spent most of its life sitting and collecting dust.

When the bike started acting up, someone told you to replace the fuel pump... Was the fuel pressure tested? What are the chances the a fuel pump's life is only 7200 miles??? Seems unlikely.

You have an issue with a 12 year old motorcycle and you go straight to the "i thought Victorys were supposed to be bulletproof" bullsh!t? As if this issue is a reflection on Victory motorcycles in general.... Not nice.

·
Premium Member
1,439 Posts
The Vic’s pretty much are bulletproof...if they’re ridden often and maintained well. If you let anything sit for a long time (that wasn’t designed to sit) you’re gonna have some work cut out for you.

I understand the allure of buying an older vehicle with low miles, but with that comes the issues that come with stagnation. Don’t shy away from it, embrace it. This gives you an awesome opportunity to learn even more about your new motorcycle. You’ve taken the right steps by asking for help.

·
Registered
2,361 Posts
The Vic's pretty much are bulletproof...if they're ridden often and maintained well. If you let anything sit for a long time (that wasn't designed to sit) you're gonna have some work cut out for you.

I understand the allure of buying an older vehicle with low miles, but with that comes the issues that come with stagnation. Don't shy away from it, embrace it. This gives you an awesome opportunity to learn even more about your new motorcycle. You've taken the right steps by asking for help.
Like every bit of rubber rotted, from vaccuv to tires???

·
Registered
417 Posts
So how did you conclude at first it may be the fuel pump ?

·
Registered
417 Posts
Was it running ok when you bought it ?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yes ran well for about a week and a half. I was told by a local vic dealer that fuel pump was out only had 18psi. Dealer wanted to charge my 1000.00 . so i found fuel pump and new o rings grommets for 250.00 so i took out old pump put new one on assembly , new reg. The only thing is i cant find the rubber grommet that goes on pump . that goes to reg . but put on tester and same thing low pressure because of that grommet. Need help were to find it or part number thank you for everyones input.

·
Registered
7,189 Posts
I would suspect anything rubber. Throttle body boot and hoses are the first place I would look, o-rings on injectors, also battery and connections.

·
Registered
12,827 Posts
I would suspect anything rubber. Throttle body boot and hoses are the first place I would look, o-rings on injectors, also battery and connections.
Hey BD ........ not to hijack this thread but I noticed you had PCV and a Lloydz modded ECM. Do you need a PCV with a Lloydz ECM ?

·
Registered
12,827 Posts
Oh and for OP. Sorry about your problems. Dealer sounds real high $$$. You tried and you reached out here. Cool. However. Info is key here. We have a small list of Victory tuners / mechanics that we trust. Where are you located ? Maybe we can get you to the right one. Here you will get chastised first for presenting problems with little history. Never ever put the blame on a Victory for having issues. It was the years off neglect that created this issue.
Now that your into the fuel system and your missing a grommet ? Seek that first and give it a whirl. Next load test your battery. Need to be sure connections are tight and clean. Send us your info / location. We’ll be nice. Promise.

·
Registered
7,189 Posts
Hey BD ........ not to hijack this thread but I noticed you had PCV and a Lloydz modded ECM. Do you need a PCV with a Lloydz ECM ?
Yes, this was done before complete flash tunes were available. The ECM was flashed to up the rev-limiter to 6400 rpm's and he adds a little timing. It was later dyno tuned by Kevinx after I added Lloydz cams.
Today I would go with a Maximus, no Lloydz flash or timing gear needed.

·
Registered
12,827 Posts
Yes, this was done before complete flash tunes were available. The ECM was flashed to up the rev-limiter to 6400 rpm's and he adds a little timing. It was later dyno tuned by Kevinx after I added Lloydz cams.
Today I would go with a Maximus, no Lloydz flash or timing gear needed.
Yep. Kevin suggested Maximus on Honeys X1. I'm on the fence now with a Conquest street tune using VFC3 or Kevin's Maximus and Dyno tune. Scott does a great street tune. I ride with a buddy that owns his RT bike. That thing is stock with exhaust and VFC and runs well. I'm looking at the same $$$

Reactions: PreachSF

·
Registered
7,189 Posts
Yep. Kevin suggested Maximus on Honeys X1. I'm on the fence now with a Conquest street tune using VFC3 or Kevin's Maximus and Dyno tune. Scott does a great street tune. I ride with a buddy that owns his RT bike. That thing is stock with exhaust and VFC and runs well. I'm looking at the same $$$
The VFClll works for some set-ups but is no where near ideal. It will not tune the Lloydz Torque Tubes as it can not remove fuel from the equation it also will not adjust ignition timing. The VFClll is like using a claw hammer for finish carpentry work, it will drive the nail but it won't do nearly as good of a job as a more versatile tuner like the Maximus or even the PCV. If you can afford it, definitely go with the Maximus and Dyno tune

·
Registered
879 Posts
Yes ran well for about a week and a half. I was told by a local vic dealer that fuel pump was out only had 18psi. Dealer wanted to charge my 1000.00 . so i found fuel pump and new o rings grommets for 250.00 so i took out old pump put new one on assembly , new reg. The only thing is i cant find the rubber grommet that goes on pump . that goes to reg . but put on tester and same thing low pressure because of that grommet. Need help were to find it or part number thank you for everyones input.
Try cheapcycleparts.com for the rubber grommet that you are looking for. They have diagrams that you can enlarge and find the part a d part number that you are looking for.

2007 Victory VEGAS/VEGAS 8 BALL ALL OPTIONS (V07AB26/GB26) OEM Parts, Cheap Cycle Parts

2007 Victory VEGAS/VEGAS 8 BALL ALL OPTIONS (V07AB26/GB26) Fuel System, Fuel Tank & Lines All Options | Cheap Cycle Parts

Click on the 2nd link and look at parts 12 and 13. They are rubber grommets. Might be what you need

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.