VOG Forum banner

Wobble help

3K views 32 replies 11 participants last post by  Nuklhed 
#1 ·
Fairly new to motorcycles,
Installed new tire first time. Replaced original rear elite to cobra , front tire still have about 50% tread so I didn’t replace. First ride pretty bad wobble at 70-85 mph. Defective rear tire ?
Should I replace the front as well ?
Didn’t have it before tire replacement

#2 ·
We need more info.

This is on a Vulcan? I'm not much help they're never having one. Or did you get aXC?

How old is the front tire?

Did you balance, or who balanced the rear? How? Beads or weights?

Is this on all road surfaces and only certain ones? Have you noticed?

#3 ·
Fairly new to motorcycles,
Installed new tire first time. Replaced original rear elite to cobra , front tire still have about 50% tread so I didn't replace. First ride pretty bad wobble at 70-85 mph. Defective rear tire ?
Should I replace the front as well ?
Didn't have it before tire replacement
Are the tires both radials or bias ply?

Is the tire mounted with the correct rotation for the location (rear) ?

Is the wheel properly aligned?

Do you have the tire pressure set correctly?

#4 ·
My guess would be rear wheel not properly aligned. Follow the manual for that process.

Be sure tire is properly inflated to correct air pressure as well.

#5 ·
Check rear wheel alignment. Don’t go by just the marks alone on the swing arm. Once your snug spin the rear wheel and watch the rear pulley and belt how it tracks. Properly set the belt should run left to right. On the pulley wheel. 80% of the time it’s rear wheel alignment. You said no wobble before rear tire change so I’m assuming the alignment is off.

Now for the info part. What’s your front tire brand and is it bias or radial. I’m assuming the new cobra rear is radial ? If it is your generally ok with radial rear and bias front but having the same brand and tread pattern helps with tracking. Also watch your tire pressure. Cold 37 front and rear is fine. As the tires heat up while riding they will approach 39 to 40 psi warm.
Balance beads ? Rim weights ?

#7 ·
Thanks for all replys
It's 2011 XC , so the Aligment was slightly off I re aligned , front tire was at 26psi rear at 42 , got em both to 37 cold, front is oem Dunlop elite 3 radial , rear is Avon cobra v92 not sure if it's radial or bias with rim weight.
went for a ride still some wobble. Aligment seems still slightly off , more to one side. Not perfectly in the middle. Doubt it would make a huge difference though.
Tire Wheel Automotive tire White Light
Tire Wheel Automotive tire White Light

#8 ·
26 psi would definitely be a problem.

Was that your old rear tire?

#12 ·
I have to ask what the front tire looks like and why your not doing both at the same time.

#14 ·
I'd be losing that E3 even if it looked brand new. Also loose the rim weight. Find some Dyna beads or Ride on.

#15 ·
Can't buy E3 anymore so what is the date code on that front tire?

#17 ·
This is the front. So I both tires are Radial now. Does that mean it’s not a good thing and would possibly cause a wobble ?
I would assume front is original bikes 2012 with 10.700 miles.
I bought it last year with 8500 miles. So I didn’t even really look at the tire. Thought tires lasted longer then that , like I said pretty new to bikes. As soon as I saw how bold it was I ordered a new one

#19 ·
What is the date code?

Oval with numbers on it stamped in side of tire.

Honestly I'd just replace it.
Probably an old tire and you might as well start fresh.

#22 ·
Week 1 2012.
9+ year old tire.

Stop. Change that before you ride that bike.

#23 ·
Totally agree with what others have said. Usually ok for tires to be up to ~5 years old. Older than that and you are just asking for trouble (dry rot, rubber breaking down, etc).

this is not like a car where you can have a blowout and still have 3 tires to rely on to get you stopped and pulled off the road (not that a blowout in a car isn’t dangerous too....just WAY MORE dangerous on a bike)

do yourself a safety favor and replace ASAP.

#25 ·
Look in the sipes/ tread. They are dry rotted. You new rear tire has bite and a different composition than that beat front tire. 5yrs for a tire that’s usually rule of thumb. Get rid of it. It’s done.

#28 ·
I suspected the front was old which is why I asked. Unfortunately the question was ignored, so I left it alone. Like I've said a thousand times, "help me, help you."

#30 ·
It will feel like a new bike.
What front did you order?

#32 ·
I'm happy with my new Cobra Chrome. I think you'll like it. Anything is better than that old tire you have now.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.