VOG Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,850 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, follow me on this thought...

Let's face it, there's been more than just a few threads on problems that have been caused or misdiagnosed and it seems that some of the times, the problem was software/mapping related. So, with that said, let's look into the future and see how technology could make for a better Rider experience.

These days, we have wireless everything. If a computer can connect wirelessly to the Internet by using an Air Card, a Wi-Fi Hotspot or by tethering a cell phone from just about anywhere, and since most Riders carry a cell phone in a pocket these days, just how far are we away from the days when we can have the engine connect to a cellphone via Bluetooth? If the engine's control module determines a problem, it could use the Bluetooth connection to call a "diagnostic computer" and have it download the fix.

Maybe this is science fiction, but think about it...it could happen.

If the engine's circuitry determines a problem, it could trigger a "trouble" light to pull over. When the bike is stopped, it could connect to the Mothership's computer, diagnose the issue and download and install an immediate patch.

Okay, call me nuts, but if 20 years ago someone told you that you would have a GPS on a motorcycle, what would you have said?

Maybe I'm nuts (I've been called worse), but maybe this could this be the diagnostic system of the future.

Remember how strange OnStar sounded when it first launched?

·
Registered
11,775 Posts
Actually the technology exist right now for that type of thing. The security is the problem. If I do a stage one or whatever whats to stop me from giving that to my friend the programmer to crack it. That could be the new Warez for downloads. It also takes the dealer out of the loop.

The only way to stop that is to have the verification from each bike actually able to phone home. Once it is that interactive imagine the hacker at bike night stripping the brains out of all the bikes. What a laugh he would have. To stop that each bike would need its own WEP key so that would have to be available to the dealer. Or the dealer would need a master WEP> Oh, it could get ugly.

I prefer my bike not talk over wifi or bluetooth. I want something plugged in. Like the Power Commander!

·
Premium Member
3,850 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
dsjr70 said:
Well they dont download but OnStar can do diagnostic while your on the road.
Correct...they don't download, but it is an interactive system. If an airbag is deployed, if you don't answer the speakerphone, EMTs are automatically dispatched. That's a form of interactivity.

Now, in terms of security, to keep the hackers out, each engine would have a distinct embedded code that would be required to handshake with the receiving computer.

Just thinkin' out loud.

Would it put the Dealers out of business...No. There's still plenty of other services that can be offered.

In Silicon Valley, the manta was: Innovate or Die.

On the other hand, if Microsoft got involved with Victory...well, just hope you don't see a blue screen on your display! Rebooting a bike may be much more difficult than pressing the Control/Alt/Delete keys.

·
Registered
11,775 Posts
That is what I mean. When the firmware becomes software and can be interactive it is subject to being hijacked.

Companies like GM via OnStar would know on the fly what code the car put out as it put it out. They could simply call the owner and say " oh by the way your car is a bit hot and out to time you need ". They can unlock your car now and start it.

Guess what? They can turn it off too. They can also listen in on any conversation in the car at any time. Every good drug cop should make friends with at least one OnStar guy.

I prefer owning my bike and the brain. I kinda bothers me that Victory still owns the code that runs it. But, that is the future.

You are correct Andy, it is coming. As far as other ways to make money at a dealership, the repair bay pays the rent every month at every dealer to my knowledge. Well, I guess Harley shops the T-shirt rack pays the rent. :)

·
Registered
4,867 Posts
I dont claim to have a clue when it comes to this type of technical mumbo jumbo, But is it possible that with what you are claiming to be a future system, could actually cause (as satxron says) a total shutdown or possible hazard if someone hacks your bike at 70 mph on the highway?
Just thinkin out loud also.

·
Premium Member
3,850 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It sounds that I'm not that far off in this wild prediction.

Like anything else that requires a "login" and/or password, there will have to be strong security measures in place to prohibit hacking. But, there's another side to the coin...

Suppose your bike is stolen, a call to the Factory could disable the engine and render the bike useless. For the sake of discussion, for safety purposes, the software could be coded to where the disabling feature could not be initiated while the bike is under movement or possibly running below a predetermined RPM/speed setting.

As even another thought, it could be used to speed up the diagnosis process when something goes awry on a bike. It's entirely possible that the software could trigger a light that states something like Go To Dealer and when you arrive, the Dealer will already be notified and know what's wrong and get you back on the road in a much more timely manner.

Again...just thinking out loud.

·
Registered
11,775 Posts
Andy said:
As even another thought, it could be used to speed up the diagnosis process when something goes awry on a bike. It's entirely possible that the software could trigger a light that states something like Go To Dealer and when you arrive, the Dealer will already be notified and know what's wrong and get you back on the road in a much more timely manner.

Again...just thinking out loud.
:) as long as we can change that to go to shop instead of dealer. lol

·
Premium Member
3,850 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
vjohn556 said:
Yes but what would be the cost of a new bike with all this good stuff?
If you look at the pricing of computers over the years, either prices fall for base models or for the same price you paid the previous year, you'll get more for your money. Whatever it would cost today will surely cost much less next year and even less the following year.

Just thinking philosophically, all the pieces are in place. The bike's power plant uses electronic mapping. Bluetooth is an affordable, widely used technology. Cell phones can be used to transmit data. Now the task is seeing if it makes sense to connect these pieces together to add an alternative method of diagnosing/repairing problems as well as keeping the manufacturer aware of potential issues as they arise.

·
Registered
92 Posts
On the Onstar subject. They have the capability to disable your vehicle remotely right now. They also can as I have been told open the phone line without your knowledge and listen to conversations inside the auto (with a warrant of course). I personally think some of this tech is really quite bad for our privacy if not our liberties. But thats another topic for another day.

·
Registered
80 Posts
All of you have valid points. But with the lack of proper training and the flat rate pay system the service tech's don't know how to do all the repairs correctly and perform shortcuts to move on to the next job. Warranty pay is a joke and ongoing training is usually not offered. Which results in poor customer service, a lack of dealer loyalty and dealers going out of business at an alarming rate. Bottom line we will always need techs. ECM codes only give a general idea of what is going on with the computer system and requires a highly trained tech to properly diagnose the root cause of the problem.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.