Wired up my garage door opener to the turn signal cancel switch | Victory Motorcycles: Motorcycle Forums

Wired up my garage door opener to the turn signal cancel switch

Discussion in 'Victory General Discussion' started by kruzr69, Apr 28, 2012.

1. kruzr69

kruzr69 New Member

Type of Motorcycle Currently Riding:
    2012 Vegas 8 Ball
    I just finished wiring up my garage door opener on my Vegas 8 Ball and figured it might help some people out that are thinking of something like this. It is a simple mod that works well so far. I had this opener wired up on my WR250R for over 3 years and haven't had a problem with it yet. The first thing you will need to do is take your opener out of the case and figure out which 2 contacts on the circuit board activate your garage door. I just used my multi-meter and did a continuity test then solder a small gauge wire to each contact. I dont have any pics of this part because I did this years ago and did not tear it down again. After you get the wires soldered on you can either put the board back in the case, or I put it in a ziplock bag then wrapped it all up with electrical tape. Next you need to get your new wires up into your switch housing. I used 20 gauge solid wire and put a tiny slit in the wiring cover right where it exited the headlight. Then i just pushed the wires in to the wiring until it came out in the switch cover. I fished the other ends of the wires under the tank until they came out under the seat. To hook up the wires in the switch housing I think this pic explains it pretty good. [​IMG] http://i544.photobucket.com/albums/hh342/kruzr691/motorcycle%20stuff/IMAG0107.jpg Once you get everything in the switch hooked up, just connect the wires you ran under the seat to the wires you have on your opener and find somewhere under the seat to stick your opener. Thats it. Hope this helps someone out.

2. tonygiotta

tonygiotta Active Member

2012 Cross Country

I like it. I'm hoping that maybe the switch internals are the same on my XC controls? I was under the impression that the cancel switch didn't work because there was not an actual connection being made when it was activated, only a connection being broken. Looks like you're using it to actually mechanically close the garage door opener circuit instead. I'll have to open mine up and take a look inside. Thanks for the idea!

3. Bone

Bone Active Member

2012 Victory Cross Roads

That's pretty cool...i just mounted my door opener to the front of my forks on to my bike...I may buy another opener and try this little mod out. Do you have any picks of the opener mounted to your bike? I did a mod sometime back where I installed a push button under my instrument panel on my VTX 1300 and the card was hidden and protected...however I haven't looked for a spot to do this on my XR

4. vision_nut

vision_nut Moderator Staff Member Moderator

vision 08
  5. ray48

ray48 New Member

2012Cross Roads

It's easier to use brights contacts in the headlight bucket. If your opener remote has a12 volt battery you can eliminate that also.

6. foambuilder

foambuilder Active Member

I prefer the cute young lady that the Brit guy did. Easier to wire in some respects.
    YMMV