VOG Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
3,513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there such a thing as a winter tune for cooler weather??? Was speaking to another rider I met and he was telling about this.

I was this can’t be???

·
Registered
12,828 Posts
I tuned during the fall. Couldn’t make up my mind if I wanted a summer tune or a winter tune. It was a compromise of weather thing for me.
Lol.

·
Registered
9,232 Posts
Pretty sure with the electronic wizzardry today, and coupled with fuel injection, most machines today will take care of themselves if tuned right from the start.

This guy must still be working on old, carburated , bikes.

·
Registered
9,232 Posts
I tuned during the fall. Couldn't make up my mind if I wanted a summer tune or a winter tune. It was a compromise of weather thing for me.
Lol.
Which, and I really hate to go there, but which oil would you use for the winter tune vs the summer tune?? I'm afraid to make a move now, till the question is answered.

·
Registered
12,828 Posts
Which, and I really hate to go there, but which oil would you use for the winter tune vs the summer tune?? I'm afraid to make a move now, till the question is answered.
Glad you asked......... you'll be happy to know that Spectro Golden4 20/40 will flow in extreme freezing cold temps and keep its viscosity well above boiling. Getcha some and stop the insanity !

Reactions: MagVic CCT

·
Registered
405 Posts
Funny you should mention this tuning thing. Back in 2013 I had Rylan install the DR cams, air filter, and dyno tune my bike. Wow! What a difference. Never had an issue with summer or winter. I did have some issues on a Colorado ride one August. Dramatic changes in elevation really effected my bike, fast idle, hard starts, sluggish performance. Since I lived in Arkansas and mostly rode there and in Texas it wasn't and issue, since I was mostly at sea level and my bike ran flawlessly. Fast forward to 2018, we moved to New Mexico and I live at 6100 and I frequently ride from 5000' to 10600' in a matter of hours. Same poor performance issues as Colorado. I contact Rylan for a solution and he suggests the Maximus tuner and Ryan to do the offsite tuning. So off with the PCV, and in with the stock O2 sensors. I've been riding with the new set up since July and can honestly say this is the best thing I have ever done to my bike. The elevation changes are almost non existent, crisper throttle response, easier starts, 1000 more RPM's of usable power above 5000, and I actually get better fuel mileage. (not much, but noticeable) Recently rode in Arkansas and the elevation change did nothing but increase performance, WOW engines run so much better at lower elevations!!
On one of my rides up Sandia Crest I got behind another rider who was running a little slower than I wanted to in the corners so I passed him in one of the open corners ahead. I guess it was on, because he passed me back in the next straight away (which there are only a couple), so I passed him back in the next open corner and it was a drag race. I was able to power right around him. When we got to the crest, high fived each other, started talking and ended up riding together for a couple more hours. His bike was a Yamaha Road Liner that wasn't stock and was tuned for the area (113). He was pretty darn surprised I could power right around him like I did, so was I. You could say I'm pretty happy with my new set up.

·
Registered
12,828 Posts
So my question is .....
why do some offer Maximus tuning on their Dyno and charge for the tuner yet you do not possess the tuner when the tuning is all done ? Is this a common practice ?

·
Registered
3,513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So my question is .....
why do some offer Maximus tuning on their Dyno and charge for the tuner yet you do not possess the tuner when the tuning is all done ? Is this a common practice ?
You are supposed to keep the device after the tune. If you don't get it demand it. But having said that I know for a fact those that offer the tuning at some point will go to just purchasing a license instead. So you would be SOL if you have to go back to stock or need to change something.

·
Registered
12,828 Posts
You are supposed to keep the device after the tune. If you don't get it demand it. But having said that I know for a fact those that offer the tuning at some point will go to just purchasing a license instead. So you would be SOL if you have to go back to stock or need to change something.
This is the answer I was looking for..... thank you. The tuner I was considering didn't explain it that way and for any reason going back to stock would tell me there would be a charge again to make the adjustment ?
if I possess the tuner will I be able to switch back to stock just using a lap top ?

·
Registered
12,828 Posts

·
Registered
3,513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
if you had to go get warranty work. flash the unit back to stock.
Not only that but if you wanted to make changes and modify your tune. Its worth learning a bit how to use it.

·
Registered
610 Posts
if you had to go get warranty work. flash the unit back to stock.
I'm pretty sure it would show that the computer has been tuned/retuned, if your worried about warranty work then it should probably just be left alone.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.