VOG Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I’m the happy new rider of a ‘15 Vic XC. I picked up this beautiful bike in November, put it in hibernation to wait for the long Minnesota winter to pass. I’ve put about a dozen hours in the saddle in the last couple weeks. I’m so impressed with this bike. I have installed fork, and lower wind deflectors and I’m pleased with the airflow from under the fairing. My problem is with wind buffeting that seems to be from the air coming over my windscreen (stock) and beats the top of my head. I’m thinking a different windscreen might solve that. I would appreciate any input you might have. Kloc Werks? Windvest? Madstad?
I appreciate the support I’ve found on VOG.net!

·
Registered
89 Posts
Would you mind clarifying what you mean by “buffeting”? My interpretation is more along the aerodynamic terminology, an irregular or possibly somewhat rhythmic oscillation caused by wind turbulence.

Are you experiencing boundary of the free stream of air hitting you near the top of the head? If you want little to no wind hitting your head, you nay need a full touring shield.

What is your height? (Long or short torso?)

What bike did you come off of for our reference?

I have replaced my full touring shield with a tinted Klock Werks (has small flip). I look over it about 3 inches (I’m 5’ 10”), and the wind hits the between my forehead and top of my head. It is a constant wind, that I expect and don’t mind. I like my setup! My factory previous tour windshield created a fairly calm pocket of air.

·
Registered
9,246 Posts
Steer clear of Clear View. Not a bad company or shield, but for the XC for some reason, they are made of a different material. I works very well , but has distortion on the sides. I wouldn't do it again.

·
Registered
728 Posts
I had both the klockworks flip and now a madstad shield. I couldn't get used to the flip with the distortion around the edges, but love the madstad. The looks aren't for everyone, but I wanted function!

Reactions: Bernie58

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
I use a 7jurock with the flip. It's a great shield.

·
Registered
158 Posts
I went through several combinations before settling with the madstadt shield and brackets. It has the flexibility to make some adjustments for height and angle that you can customize for your size and setup. I get zero buffeting, and I really like it.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Would you mind clarifying what you mean by "buffeting"? My interpretation is more along the aerodynamic terminology, an irregular or possibly somewhat rhythmic oscillation caused by wind turbulence.

Are you experiencing boundary of the free stream of air hitting you near the top of the head? If you want little to no wind hitting your head, you nay need a full touring shield.

What is your height? (Long or short torso?)

What bike did you come off of for our reference?

I have replaced my full touring shield with a tinted Klock Werks (has small flip). I look over it about 3 inches (I'm 5' 10"), and the wind hits the between my forehead and top of my head. It is a constant wind, that I expect and don't mind. I like my setup! My factory previous tour windshield created a fairly calm pocket of air.
I would describe it as wind turbulence that hits the top 3-4 inches of my head. At highway speed I can raise my hand in smooth air flow until I reach about my forehead. There I find turbulence that rattles my full face helmet.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hey guys, I'm the happy new rider of a '15 Vic XC. I picked up this beautiful bike in November, put it in hibernation to wait for the long Minnesota winter to pass. I've put about a dozen hours in the saddle in the last couple weeks. I'm so impressed with this bike. I have installed fork, and lower wind deflectors and I'm pleased with the airflow from under the fairing. My problem is with wind buffeting that seems to be from the air coming over my windscreen (stock) and beats the top of my head. I'm thinking a different windscreen might solve that. I would appreciate any input you might have. Kloc Werks? Windvest? Madstad?
I appreciate the support I've found on VOG.net!
I have a Madstad and Klock Werks that I'm not using. I'll make you a good deal on both if you want to try your options. Shoot me a PM if you're interested.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks Partsguy, but I ordered a 7Jurock windscreen yesterday. I’m not much of an experimentation guy (if I have to pay for the experiments ;o). I'll be in touch if the new screen doesn’t do what I hope it does.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I had both the klockworks flip and now a madstad shield. I couldn't get used to the flip with the distortion around the edges, but love the madstad. The looks aren't for everyone, but I wanted function!
At 5' 4.5" on a good day, I am on the seriously vertically challenged side of life, have a '16 CCT, & have been looking to put a Madstad on.
Could you please.let me know how you chose the height of the Madstad,how tall u are, & where the top of the windshield is in your line of sight, when it's fully retracted.
Thanks.

·
Registered
748 Posts
At 5' 4.5" on a good day, I am on the seriously vertically challenged side of life, have a '16 CCT, & have been looking to put a Madstad on.
Could you please.let me know how you chose the height of the Madstad,how tall u are, & where the top of the windshield is in your line of sight, when it's fully retracted.
Thanks.
Madstad has the best personalized service , you give them your specs and they will tell you what height to go with. Also its got a few adjustments , tilt and up down.

·
Registered
617 Posts
I love my Madstad, they were excellent to work with. They suggested one size of windscreen (12" I think) and I found it was just a bit too small, they replaced it for a (14"?) for no charge, just asked me to return the other one. The only thing I would do differently is get the screen that had a tint on the bottom, other than that, awesome set up.

Reactions: Fishtale_19

·
Registered
5 Posts
I love my Madstad, they were excellent to work with. They suggested one size of windscreen (12" I think) and I found it was just a bit too small, they replaced it for a (14"?) for no charge, just asked me to return the other one. The only thing I would do differently is get the screen that had a tint on the bottom, other than that, awesome set up.
Hey VOGmen, u guys r great! Thanks for the tips, I was able to get what I wanted from Partsguy's offer, & am looking forward to the install & test ride(s).
TripleB

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hey guys, I wanted to close the loop on this and let you know where I landed. After all your input, and a bunch of reviews I ordered a windscreen from 7Jurock with the flip. It arrived today, I took my first ride this evening. I’m happy to say the wind management is much improved! I’m headed out of the country in a couple days (not on my bike) so I won’t get much riding time for a while. In June I’m planning a 2,000 mile ride with a much improved comfort level. Thanks everyone. It helps so much to hear from all of you.

·
Registered
3,313 Posts
Hey guys, I wanted to close the loop on this and let you know where I landed. After all your input, and a bunch of reviews I ordered a windscreen from 7Jurock with the flip. It arrived today, I took my first ride this evening. I'm happy to say the wind management is much improved! I'm headed out of the country in a couple days (not on my bike) so I won't get much riding time for a while. In June I'm planning a 2,000 mile ride with a much improved comfort level. Thanks everyone. It helps so much to hear from all of you.
Any other details? What size? Did you get the clear, smoke or dark one? Pics?

·
Registered
12,831 Posts
Great choice and nice bike !!!! Digging the seat ! Now get some Avon red matching grips from Witchdoctors !!!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.