VOG Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
l own a 2012 cx with forged engine guards the bike looks great put the buffeting is terrible. Replace the stock fairing with a Conquest speed fairing that took care of the light feeling in the front end. The kW windscreen is ok not great going to change with Madstad system. Installed JTD hard lowers again better wind management but hot as Hell. I am in south Florida, today it was 86 deg. Bike thomometer read 90 deg. Next thought is to remove forged gaurds and install round gaurds. Has anyone has success eliminating wind buffeting by doing this. Anh
Any help would be much appreciated

·
Registered
4,559 Posts
I've never heard of any buffeting issues with the Cross Country with Forged Bars.

Windscreen shape and size, helmet, torso length all play a part I would imagine. Also the air from below coming up around the tank, over the screen and around the sides (forced inward by the shape of the forged bars) all come together right about the forehead for shorter folks and maybe chin for the taller ones. Flipped upper lip on windshield, center fork air deflector, lower closeouts, fork deflectors, different helmet, taller windscreen... any or all of this could solve the problem. Since every rider is built different, you will have to probably just work with different solutions until you are happy.

I currently have fork deflectors and center deflector, but believe it or not, moving from a Bell Pit Boss to the Akoury AK88 did more for the shaky head than any other modification. Still get airflow and it's a little on the turbulent side but I'm ok with it.

When I install the tall XC windscreen (not xct) and add the soft lowers, I don't feel a breeze unless I'm stopped in a crosswind. I'm 5'7" or thereabouts.

• Haha
Reactions: rdeerx

·
Registered
379 Posts
I eliminated all buffeting with the metal fork mounted wind deflectors from Witchdoctors and a tall windshield.
I wouldn't take off the forged bars. Those bars give the XR & XC a great look.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I eliminated all buffeting with the metal fork mounted wind deflectors from Witchdoctors and a tall windshield.
I wouldn't take off the forged bars. Those bars give the XR & XC a great look.
Thanks Fuzz I was looking at them. My question is does it effect the handling of the bike at high speeds?

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
When I got my 14 CC summer of 2017 I knew at first ride the buffeting had to be tweaked. This was my first fairing bike but every windshield tourer I have owned got solved with lower fork mounted deflectors. Witchdoctors did the trick quiet successfully. I could have also tried a higher screen but I really liked the way the existing 11 inch klock werks allowed me to see way over the screen. In the cooler months with soft engine guards, sometimes I am in a bubble it seems, except in cross winds. Handling has remained superb.

·
Registered
4,841 Posts
I sold my CCT coz i could only ride it with a open face helmet, so that just wasnt gonna work , ha ha

Buffeting with a full face gave me a HUGE headache

·
Premium Member
1,439 Posts
Buffeting can be greatly reduced or eliminated. I have a Cross Country Tour with forged bars (removed the CCT lowers), Memphis Shades fork lowers, and a Madstad windshield. I'm 6'1" and have close to zero buffeting issues.

·
Registered
865 Posts
l own a 2012 cx with forged engine guards the bike looks great put the buffeting is terrible. Replace the stock fairing with a Conquest speed fairing that took care of the light feeling in the front end. The kW windscreen is ok not great going to change with Madstad system. Installed JTD hard lowers again better wind management but hot as Hell. I am in south Florida, today it was 86 deg. Bike thomometer read 90 deg. Next thought is to remove forged gaurds and install round gaurds. Has anyone has success eliminating wind buffeting by doing this. Anh
Any help would be much appreciated
I had issue with my forged bars with my pant legs slapping the heck out of my calves. To the point where they bloodied them. I wear loose fitting jeans. I made my own set of lowers with some plexiglass and clamps and they worked out great. I still get breeze down that way but nothing like before. Combined with the flare screen it all works out great for me. Cost me a whopping $25 bucks, only because I made another set for a friend.
https://www.thevog.net/threads/wind-buffeting.144209/page-3#post-2933361

Reactions: slickvic

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
I have a 2011 XC with forged bars. I added fork lowers and a flip windshield that I can still look over. I don't have issues with buffeting.

·
Registered
165 Posts
JTD hard lowers work great with forged bars. I run them year around and with the adjustable vents set correctly when hot out you get a surprising amount of air. I don’t find it uncomfortable at all, and zero buffeting.

·
Registered
12,831 Posts
Yep yep yep. Me too. Forged bars and JTD lowers. Vents pointing at our legs and all good. Went from KW flip to LRS ( Long Ride Shields). Nice darker tint and about 2 “ taller and I’m just as cozy as can be.
I didn’t want to eliminate all wind ...... I’m on a motorcycle for goodness sakes. I wanted to hear my stereo better and just keep my glasses from dancing to the music. I think the larger 6 foot plus fellas have the most issues with buffering. Simply find the shield that works because the JTD lowers is as good as it gets for forged bars.

My wife’s Magnum with tube bars and no close outs or wind deflection just a short LRS flip shield and her only complaint is the rush thru the tube bars. I can feel a huge difference compared to my XC.

·
Registered
28 Posts
2012 CCT Here. I'm 6'3" and have quite a bit of buffeting at speed. It has the tall windshield and I suspect air around the tank.

Has anyone tried the Memphis Shades fork deflectors with the lowers left on? I can't be the only one who has faced this challenge.

Thanks all,

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
Larrybud, fork deflectors significantly reduced the buffeting from around the tank for me. I made my own but there are several choices. do a search on VOG and you'll see the choices.

·
Registered
527 Posts
Search my "Different direction on buffet control" thread. I can't figure how to just post its link!
Lots of ideas and discussion there.

I've been busy, but have plenty of metal to make some CFAD's if someone wants.
I have another idea, kinda like the tank wings, but will be lower, and more forward. Will see.
The problem with the fork mounted deflectors is heat...not an issue with cfad. But its hit or miss. Most that I sold were extremely happy, a few were ehhhh not much.

With Bad Ace apparently having issues, there's a need, It may take a while, ut I'm up for making some, if anyone is interested.
I plan some video testing with yarn tufts on various configurations, including my frame wings, I'll call them.
I'll keep you all posted...
Jeff

Reactions: slickvic

·
Registered
12,831 Posts
Interested for both forged bars and tube bars.
Thanks.

·
Registered
45 Posts
2012 CCT Here. I'm 6'3" and have quite a bit of buffeting at speed. It has the tall windshield and I suspect air around the tank.

Has anyone tried the Memphis Shades fork deflectors with the lowers left on? I can't be the only one who has faced this challenge.

Thanks all,
I have them. They work great. If I had known about them before I would still have a Suzuki C90T hahahah I have a long ride shield that's 14" I think..The Memphis Shades were under $100 from J&P.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Search my "Different direction on buffet control" thread. I can't figure how to just post its link!
Lots of ideas and discussion there.

I've been busy, but have plenty of metal to make some CFAD's if someone wants.
I have another idea, kinda like the tank wings, but will be lower, and more forward. Will see.
The problem with the fork mounted deflectors is heat...not an issue with cfad. But its hit or miss. Most that I sold were extremely happy, a few were ehhhh not much.

With Bad Ace apparently having issues, there's a need, It may take a while, ut I'm up for making some, if anyone is interested.
I plan some video testing with yarn tufts on various configurations, including my frame wings, I'll call them.
I'll keep you all posted...
Jeff
Hello, I have a 2014 XC with hard lowers and fairing deflectors, but getting hit in the face with wind. I've been looking for solutions to help with this and noticed your CFAD's so I'm wondering if they'll work. I tried to go to Bad Ace's website for availability, but as you said, they are having issues. If you're still making these, I sure am interested! Your thoughts? Thx in advance.

·
Registered
4,559 Posts
contact @jjpilot, he also fabricates these and they are good quality.
I tried many different variations, but don't have hard lowers. My guards are open other than having some highway pegs and driving lights mounted. I found that I get the best wind management with the fork deflectors, the center deflector and a smaller helmet. I run a short v-stream smoked windscreen and at 5'7", I am looking quite a bit over it. I get wind in the face, but that's one of the reasons I like riding, but buffeting is only an issue with strong cross winds, lower temperatures and denser air. The issues is air flow coming from several directions and creating turbulence around the face, forehead or chest depending on how you sit and the length of your torso.

·
Registered
5 Posts
contact @jjpilot, he also fabricates these and they are good quality.
I tried many different variations, but don't have hard lowers. My guards are open other than having some highway pegs and driving lights mounted. I found that I get the best wind management with the fork deflectors, the center deflector and a smaller helmet. I run a short v-stream smoked windscreen and at 5'7", I am looking quite a bit over it. I get wind in the face, but that's one of the reasons I like riding, but buffeting is only an issue with strong cross winds, lower temperatures and denser air. The issues is air flow coming from several directions and creating turbulence around the face, forehead or chest depending on how you sit and the length of your torso.
Thanks for the reply. I'll try to contact him. My biggest issue is the wind coming up between the forks and over the tank. Actually, the hard lowers might be part of the problem as well. It's not horrible by any means, but always looking to improve. The Klock Werks windshield I purchased I find really helps with wind over the top. Thx again!

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.