VOG Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So we were camping and to make a long story short. My only key is gone and i have 2 Choices. Right?
Replace ignition and tank cap. Or Locksmith.
Any other options? Can my dealer make me a key like GM or Ford does?
Thanks in advance.
This sucks, prolly last 80 degree day and I can't ride my Vic.

·
Registered
4,559 Posts
Find a metal detector? If you happened to have the stamped plate that was with the key, the dealer should be able to make one from that number. Possibly the vin might help but thats a long shot. Removing the ignition switch isn't hard and you can take it to a locksmith but they probably won't have a blank that will work.

Reactions: festes73

·
Registered
9,220 Posts
Locksmith, here. And my advice is to find a Smith. The days of codes printed on locks are all but gone, and very few auto makers keep the kind of records needed for making replacement keys. So, I see it as almost no chance for the Bike dealers to hold that info.

There is an app that the smiths can get to generate a key for autos with a vin and a bit of other info, but so far as I know it hasn't been extended to Motorcycles. A good Locksmith will be able to do the job quickly and easily without causing damage.

No advice about the wife. Auction bock, perhaps. :biggrin:

Naw, it will hurt her enough to see what it's going to cost to get a replacement.

This is assuming that you cannot pull the switch and take it to a shop.

Reactions: festes73

·
Registered
9,220 Posts
Using a Kawasaki KW-14 key blank readily available works on my 2014 CCT.
I have had a few spares made up with it and it works fine.
And, of course, after the first key is made, this is your next step. But I bet you already had that one figured out.

Quick true story. While on a trip (two or three states from home) I went to unlock one of the bags, but dropped the key. Did you know that there is a place between the bag and frame for the key to go that is impossible to reach?? I do. Anyway, thanks to the previous owner, who had hidden a key and told me about it problem solved. So, you never know. I now have a key, wife has a key and there's a hidden one.

·
Registered
770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Locksmith, here. And my advice is to find a Smith. The days of codes printed on locks are all but gone, and very few auto makers keep the kind of records needed for making replacement keys. So, I see it as almost no chance for the Bike dealers to hold that info.

There is an app that the smiths can get to generate a key for autos with a vin and a bit of other info, but so far as I know it hasn't been extended to Motorcycles. A good Locksmith will be able to do the job quickly and easily without causing damage.

No advice about the wife. Auction bock, perhaps. :biggrin:

Naw, it will hurt her enough to see what it's going to cost to get a replacement.

This is assuming that you cannot pull the switch and take it to a shop.
Thanks for your wisdom! I can take off the ignition easily enough and take it to a locksmith.
And have some copies made.

·
Registered
2,361 Posts
Hotwire, order another key or call a Smith....

Get more keys, I store one in my wallet... Took my daughter to a concert, the key fell outta my back pocket while I was laying somewhere, I was about to hotwire my bike infront of 100s of people, in the dark.... Then there it was laying right where I left it, shining at me like "here I am dumbass"..

·
Registered
9,220 Posts
Of course, it is impossible for me to loose my keys. I would be the object of much ridicule. Kinda like a cop misplacing his gun or badge.

No good would come of it. :brick:

·
Registered
770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hotwire, order another key or call a Smith....

Get more keys, I store one in my wallet... Took my daughter to a concert, the key fell outta my back pocket while I was laying somewhere, I was about to hotwire my bike infront of 100s of people, in the dark.... Then there it was laying right where I left it, shining at me like "here I am dumbass"..
Of course, it is impossible for me to loose my keys. I would be the object of much ridicule. Kinda like a cop misplacing his gun or badge.

No good would come of it. :brick:
We were camping at Chenango Valley State Park and I left my key in the bike. She took it out and put it in her bra. The rest is history.

·
Registered
9,220 Posts
Ah, ha!! Not all her fault. At least, That's how she's going to tell this story.

My wife couldn't do that. It's already very full. But, that's ok.

·
Registered
770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
And I'm guess you ain't too far from Syracuse
Ya an hr from Syracuse.
Right in the middle between Binghamton and Syracuse.
And she was wearing the bra. I didn't ask for the key til we were going to bed.

·
Registered
9,220 Posts
Probably laying in or under your sleeping bag or something.

·
Registered
2,361 Posts
Ya an hr from Syracuse.
Right in the middle between Binghamton and Syracuse.
And she was wearing the bra. I didn't ask for the key til we were going to bed.
I'm an hour north of Syracuse... The key should be in the last place her bra was moved.....

·
Registered
770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Probably laying in or under your sleeping bag or something.
we checked everywhere. Had to pack up and go home and leave the bike behind. Came back with my ramps and wheel chock. Also brought a 2' magnet back with me and no luck. I should have made a spare when i bought the bike 3 years ago.

Reactions: MagVic CCT

·
Registered
770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I'm an hour north of Syracuse... The key should be in the last place her bra was moved.....
Well we should ride together sometime. And my Wife has some large breasts but the kids sucked the life out of them.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.