Wide Tire Fabricators (Help me out here, please)... | Victory Motorcycles: Motorcycle Forums

Wide Tire Fabricators (Help me out here, please)...

Discussion in 'Victory Vegas' started by sladerholt, Jan 23, 2010.

1. sladerholt

sladerholt New Member

As I have said before, I am widening the swing arm on my Vegas 8-Ball to the same width as Jackpot (where I got the 250 wheel and tire).

The ID on my Vegas swing arm is 10.75", but the ID on a Jackpot swing arm is 13.25" - a difference of 2.5"...

Everyone that I have talked with tells me that the best (cheapest) way to get the belt to line up is to weld another 30 Tooth Pulley onto the outside of mine for the off-set.

THE PROBLEM: Assuming that I did weld another pulley on mine, the pulleys are only 1 and 13/16th" wide... without getting to detailed, moving the belt over to another pulley that was welded on leaves me short by about 1 inch (15/16th's), IF, and ONLY IF the 2.5" difference in the width of the swing arms translates directly into how much the belt needs to off-set on the front pulley(s)???

Everyone tells me that just welding on another pulley works like a charm, but my numbers just don't quite add up - AND I have never done this before so I don't know if I am working exact numbers into exact numbers i.e. I don't know if there is any leeway for the belt to off-set???

The only hopefulness I have is that there are geometric differences between the two swing arms... My Vegas arm is strait where a Jackpots arms seem to curve.

None of that may be relative to where the rear pulley sits in relation to the swing between the two models, so my inexperience is just trying to over-think it.

And please, before someone comments that I should just buy a Jackpot if I want a 250 tire... I have got EVERYTHING (OEM Wheel, 250 Tire, Pulleys for the front, Fender, etc...), less my time grinding and a little fabricating for under $400.00 U.S...

I will explain all that and post pics, IF someone can help me wrap my head around this issue with the Pulley Off-Set. THANK YOU AHEAD OF TIME! -sa

2. erklep

erklep New Member

i am wrapping up this very same project on my bike now. rather than widening my vegas swinger, i purchased the hammer swingarm. i also grabbed the hammer front pulley from the guy while i was there. bolted the hammer pulley on my motor and belt lines up just perfect. it was much easier than having to find another vegas pulley and having it welded. i would reccomend going that route. when i looked into buying a new pulley from victory, i think it was only around $170. ive had the 250 rear on the bike for a little while now and everything has been fine. im in the stages of building a subframe and fitting a custom fender right now.

3. randysfishing

randysfishing Active Member

Type of Motorcycle Currently Riding:
    2008 Arlen Ness Jackpot SOLD, 2012 Cross Country Tour Black

I wish you luck on this. Why not just buy a Jp or Hammer or is it cheaper to do this conversion?

4. sladerholt

sladerholt New Member

@erklep,

Glad to see someone else tackling this mod.... I actually found a pulley (ALREADY WELDED UP) on Ebay for $50 - nice! And I bought another Vegas swing arm (on ebay) for $50 - nice again... I would love to get my hands on a JP swingarm, but I just can't find one / or one at a bargain, or I definitely would go that route. So MIG welder - here I come.

Still, all in all, except for the fender, I am going to pull off this mod for almost nothing considering I DID get a back wheel and tire off a JP for $300... but the guy threw in another $1500 (at least) worth of stuff (matching front wheel and tire, chrome, chrome, chrome, pulleys, windshield(s) - total insanity what I got for the money)!

Help me out here if you would with some more details? Did you have to extend the belt guard, move pipes, grind down the fender support? Post here or shoot me an email: [email protected] Thanks for the reply!

@randysfishing: If you are patient, and very smart in finding the right parts, then there is no damn way just that buying JP could be cheaper - despite the nay sayers. I may have just got lucky, but when it is all said and done, if I spend $300 on the rear fender - then that is ALL I will have in the whole project including 8.5" wheel, tire, swing arm, pulley, etc.... Thanks for the goodwill! -sa

Sounds nuts I know, but I will post everything, with pics, and how I did it

5. bubba

bubba Well-Known Member

2006 Kingpin
    Interesting build. Please keep us informed. Pictures, have to have pictures!! Good Luck!!!

6. kevinx

kevinx Well-Known Member

1955 Hyda Glide

Not a big fan of welding cast aluminum myself in a high stress area, but it is your bike. Simply bolting on a Hammer front pulley only gives you about half the nut width in threads. Thats alright if all you are doing is the ocasional bike night, but not a great idea for a rider. The way to go[yes it cost money] is to buy a "Missing Link" pulley from Conquest
    When doing this you will need a different pipe to acomodate the wider swing arm, and a different front pulley cover to acomodate the wider pulley. The belt gaurd itself is the same

7. sladerholt

sladerholt New Member

Oh come on kevinx01, you don't really believe that the ONLY folks that can MIG/TIG/or HELIARC weld all work at Polaris do you? 70% of every weld in the world is done by somebody - especially in the bike world - not in a factory.

Done correctly, the whole damn bike can be cut-up and re-welded into a custom go-kart. And no, Custom Conquest (hats off) are NOT the only people that know how to mod a Vegas to a 250 rear tire...

And all due respect Kevin, front pulley cover = mod... Pipes placement = adjust (maybe)... My post is about how "I AM DOING THIS".... not "WHY YOU THINK I SHOULD DO IT YOUR WAY".... and I am not trying to be a smart-ass.

Post some pics of your Vegas with a 250 and I will probably say it's awesome. When I post my pics don't say I didn't spend enough money or it's "not right" because I didn't spend $500+ with Custom Conquest (hats off) for a chunk of metal. I won't even get started on what the guy who does my MIG welding would say about factory welding. -sa

8. sladerholt

sladerholt New Member

Absolutely! Thanks for the interest, although will probably go down later this year. Maybe erklep can post some pics... I am really interested to see them too. -sa

9. kevinx

kevinx Well-Known Member

1955 Hyda Glide

With the older FORGED swingarm I would agree completely with you, but the hollow cast arm you most likely have is a piss poor place to start welding

Lots of people have done the job, and no Conquest does not have to be involved. I just put it out to you that they sell a part that makes the job easier

I don't give a rats ass if you cobble your bike together with chewing gum, and duck tape. YOU ASKED several questions, and I gave you several answers. How you intend to deal with the front pulley cover is up to you. I just pointed out that you WILL have to do something. Just like the fact that the pipes will not sit right with a wider swing arm

Now as you said"With all do respect"
    In the futer if you are just interested in people saying ooooooohhhhh then; just say what you are doing. Don't ask questions that you don't wish to hear the answers to

10. kevinx

kevinx Well-Known Member

1955 Hyda Glide
    Looking back I see all of your questions had been prtty much been asked, and answered before; in another thread. I did however also see that you had an 05 which means you DO HAVE a forged swing arm

11. dsjr70

dsjr70 Well-Known Member

08 Vegas Low x 2, Vegas LE # 001, Cross Roads LE # 001, High Ball, Vegas 8-Ball, Cross Country, Vision, Cross Roads
    Now this is just fun (with all due respect)...lol

12. sladerholt

sladerholt New Member

Kevin I asked 1 question in this post about welding 2 pulleys together for width. I also respond and asked ERKLEP for advice pics on his project.

You, however, gave me a short dissertation of negative, pointed comments on issues that I am frankly way past now. I welcome everyone's comments, but you should consider how you phrase your thoughts in the future. -sa

13. kevinx

kevinx Well-Known Member

1955 Hyda Glide
    Your kidding me right??
    Someone comented about just bolting on a Hammer pulley, and I let you know the problem with it. Pointed Comment?? Not....However I offerd a reasonable solution. Just because you did not like my solution does not mean that I was trying to hurt your feelings. I have seen the same questions asked about going wide a couple of times a month since the Hammer was released. So you will have to forgive me if I had precviously answered you question previosly in another thread.

I commented about welding cast in a high stress place. I did not say you were stupid for wanting to do it, nor did I say it could not be done. Go ahead, and ask your welding buddy about the pro's, and cons of doing this job. While I am sure he is willing to do it. I'll bet he has reservations. Because while you have a welding buddy. I am a certified welder, and have been since you were ten.

Then since you asked about the belt guard I answered that question. Again not being able to track the hundred plus threads on this topic. I added a couple of other things to consider

Also while you are in your own words "New to this" I am a Victory mechanic, fabricator, and engine builder FOR A LIVING. I HAVE converted 2 customer bikes to fat tire, and have more then just a little idea of what I am talking about. Does that mean I think I know everything?? Not at all. Alll I was doing was doing is passing on so info. Only to have you come back sounding like a dick. My dad told me long ago that sometimes you just need to let people make mistakes with their arogance; it's the only way they will learn. I'm guessing he was talking about people like you. So instead of my phrasing; you might try reading what is written, and not get all boo boo right off the bat.

Now THAT was a short disertation. Pointed comments, and all .

14. sladerholt

sladerholt New Member

You know what Kevin, you right, your the bigger man and the professional.

And apparently you're intent on wasting any chance I have in discussing MY THOUGHTS about my bike with others who are actually interested - in this thread.

It's one thing to disagree with me if this were your thread, but it's different when it's my own thread - and judging the private msgs I have got about your first post here - I am dead on.

If you need the last word, go ahead and call me a dick again, or smartass, or quote some more of your father's wisdom - whatever you feel like doing.

But let me ask this (rhetorically): Who the hell are you to say the guy that does MY welding (who is also certified) has reservations about doing it? I don't care if you welded the Titanic together.... to comment on other people's professional ability - that you don't know - nor have ever met - TRULY says that YOUR ARROGANCE PRECEDES YOU!!!!

I am officially handing my thread over to you kevin, for anyone who wants to discuss this topic in the future - I am all done here - Its ALL YOURS BROTHER.

If anyone else wants to discuss this elsewhere - msg me. -sa

15. kevinx

kevinx Well-Known Member

1955 Hyda Glide

Now you see that is what I mean about not reading. I said NOTHING about your buddy's competance, and I am quite sure he is very skilled. I simply said you should ask him how he really feels about it, and that he would prolly tell you he has reservations. Reservations means that while he is willing to do the job; he might not think it is the best idea. So with that in mind I will have to say back to you......Your IGNORANCE proceeds you.