VOG Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4,877 Posts
Unfortunately, the maintenance costs alone will demand ads.
Not necessarily. Gmail, Google's free email program, is one of the most popular and most stable online email programs available and I don't see any ads. Linux Mint is one of the most stable free operating systems available. Linux isn't the best for a corporate environment but you can't beat it for a home system and it's all free; including the Office Suite.

I've been using adblockers for years though. A lot of websites are pushing me to whitelist their site so I get the ads they want to show but I rarely do. Not many sites are important enough to me to whitelist and see the ads.

I can't stand FB. Lost some friends due to it years ago. That's when I found out how nasty leftists can be. I shut down that account then a few years later I needed a FB account to access an online course I was taking so I created another but locked it down and refused any "Friend" requests and blocked them from even trying. FB isn't too bad when it's completely locked down with no "friends" to clog it up.

·
Registered
865 Posts
Not necessarily. Gmail, Google's free email program, is one of the most popular and most stable online email programs available and I don't see any ads. Linux Mint is one of the most stable free operating systems available. Linux isn't the best for a corporate environment but you can't beat it for a home system and it's all free; including the Office Suite.

I've been using adblockers for years though. A lot of websites are pushing me to whitelist their site so I get the ads they want to show but I rarely do. Not many sites are important enough to me to whitelist and see the ads.

I can't stand FB. Lost some friends due to it years ago. That's when I found out how nasty leftists can be. I shut down that account then a few years later I needed a FB account to access an online course I was taking so I created another but locked it down and refused any "Friend" requests and blocked them from even trying. FB isn't too bad when it's completely locked down with no "friends" to clog it up.
You're right, but gmail doesn't communicate in nearly the same way. Plus, Gmail is Google.

Linux reminds me a bit of Novell. Simple, safe, relatively impervious. But it's an OS, not a tool.

Yeah, Facebook, can't stand some of the things its done. I have an account. At one point, it was primarily used for keeping in touch with family or finding long lost friends. All the trolling has destroyed that.

Reactions: BBob

·
Premium Member
1,439 Posts
The point of Gmail isn't to show you ads within Gmail; it's to detect stuff in your emails and show you tailored ads during your Google searches and while browsing the web in general.

·
Registered
655 Posts
I'm laughing all the way to the bank as a stock holder....

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.