VOG Forum banner
1 - 20 of 276 Posts

·
Registered
12,236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On the other thread it was mentioned about the HD dealer being closed on Sunday and rather then bogged down that thread I figured I would follow Spider's lead and start a new thread.
Andy and myself sat down for breakfast the other morning and during the conversation he had mentioned an HD dealer just down the road. He asked if I wanted to go over and I said yes. I figured this would work out perfect since I wanted to pick up some stuff and I love to check out bikes no matter what brand they are. Well, they were closed.
I didn't need much but I was looking for some new gloves, 3/4 boots,3/4 helmet and a new rag. Not much but probably around $500.00 worth of stuff. Plus I did want to check out the new Sportster and the Heritage. I am still pondering another bike whether the wife likes it or not (shhh dont tell her).
Okay, that's the background, now here is the point....
Why are dealers closed on Sunday's?
I know at one time it was a finance thing for all dealers (car or motorcycle), you just could not get financed on Sunday so why bother opening. Now with computers they dont have that problem.
Like most of the people on this site, and in the world, I am a working stiff. I have a job, I work 6:00-5,6,7,8... Monday thru Friday. The weekends are really the only time I have to go to the dealerships. Yes I could go after work, but the Metric dealers and the Vic dealers by me close at 6:00 most days and if I leave work at 5:00 I can really make it with much spare time. Not only that but at 5:30 they start bringing in all the bikes so your tripping over stuff.
I ride with a bunch of Harley guys and they make Bruce Rossmyer in New Smyrna, Ormand and Daytona part of every weekend ride. Allot of other bikers do the same thing I can tell you that these places are pretty busy on Sundays. I dont know how many bikes they are selling but they sure as heck are moving allot of merchandise.
I know the dealers say well we do it for financial reasons. If it is the cost of keeping your shop open for the day just close on a different day. I am not saying you have to have your service department open but the highest two traffic days when we are all out on our bikes is Saturday and Sunday.
I am one of those guys that doesn't buy clothing, boots or helmets online, I want to make sure it fits and willing to pay extra for it. I can't be the only one that feels that way. We want to buy from our dealers but why do they make it so difficult to do so?
So why are they not open on Sundays? I have no idea, maybe someone here can explain it to me...
End of rant....

·
Registered
4,895 Posts
Could it be that most Bike shop owners and employees want to ride on sunday ?

·
Registered
12,236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Trekwolf164 said:
Could it be that most Bike shop owners and employees want to ride on sunday ?
The Owners can still ride... Since when have they cared about the employees??? Just kidding.
I know with the economy the way it is there is no shortage of people available to work...

·
Registered
4,895 Posts

My Dealer is open late Thursday's closed Sunday Monday .
And almost everyone has motorcycles.

·
Registered
12,236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Staying open later on a couple of week nights would be great. But I havent seen that in my neck of the woods, except for the Harley dealers. I think most of them close at 8:00 or 9:00 on the weekdays.

·
Registered
3,229 Posts
Could it be because instead of having a million idiots; most dealers are trying to keep their core people paid well enough to eat. That core crew also has a life outside of the store. As it is we are all rotating working 6 days, and then 5 days a week. Tell me that you want to work on more then just a rare Sunday, and I am out of there. This is not Wall Mart, and the number of skilled people in this arena is finite. Thanks for thinking I should not have a life though. I*'ll pass on to the sales guys how low the opion ion of them is as well.

So the question then becomes this....
What the hell are you doing taking a day off? Get to work slacker!!

PS....Sorry if I come off sounding a tad like a dick in this, but I hate it when someone that only has to work 5 days a week makes a coment about how our jobs are so piss ant; that anybody could do it

·
Registered
25 Posts

I can't help but laugh and maybe even moan.
Possibly, because they all want a day off. Yes, when the boss takes off to ride on Sunday the mice are playing playing back at the store. The better employees are not willing to work on Sundays. I can't say as I blame them.
Signed,
Business owner who is burned out trying to please everyone - all of the time.
( Sorry just remembering too all those 7 day work weeks when I worked at my Dad's service station...great fun watching all those bikes go by)

·
Registered
23,463 Posts

Dealers I worked at were open 10 to 8 on weekdays, 9 to 3 Saturday, and closed Sunday. Nobody likes working 6 days, but if you close Monday people complain about that too. Sunday is traditionally the day of rest so it makes sense to close that day.People who are smart will call first... before they ride over there. LOL
If you need to get something go on an evening or on Saturday. Banks are closed Sunday and we still manage to have money on Sundays...

·
Registered
7,189 Posts
kevinx01 said:
Could it be because instead of having a million idiots; most dealers are trying to keep their core people paid well enough to eat. That core crew also has a life outside of the store. Tell me that you want to work on more then just a rare Sunday, and I am out of there.

EXACTLY, you're not going to keep good people being open all week-end. You have to do it with your core crew, nobody can afford to hire extra employees that would know next to nothing to cover an extra day. The car dealers have the same problem, I know have worked in them and my wife still does. They completely burn out their employees by doing 2 late nights and saturdays as it is. I would agree that the cycle dealers need to be open 1 or 2 late nights a week to help out us working stiffs.

·
Registered
12,236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

kevinx01 said:
Could it be because instead of having a million idiots; most dealers are trying to keep their core people paid well enough to eat. That core crew also has a life outside of the store. As it is we are all rotating working 6 days, and then 5 days a week. Tell me that you want to work on more then just a rare Sunday, and I am out of there. This is not Wall Mart, and the number of skilled people in this arena is finite. Thanks for thinking I should not have a life though. I*'ll pass on to the sales guys how low the opion ion of them is as well.

PS....Sorry if I come off sounding a tad like a dick in this, but I hate it when someone that only has to work 5 days a week makes a coment about how our jobs are so piss ant; that anybody could do it
Kevin,
**Edit** Oh why do I bother... Let me apoligise to everyone for having an opinion....

·
Registered
1,703 Posts

Another thing also, if a dealer finds good help, most likely that help rides, and has a life. Most of the people i've met through the years, riders and wrenches do what they do, not just for the money, but because it's part of their life style.
I'm sure if enough people talk to their dealers, show the dealer that there is money to be made staying open on the weekend, the dealer may possibly hire some part-time help, maby even just as a customer service jester, keep the flow goin.
But for me, sitting in a store on a sunny sunday or out ridin my motorcicle ?
Hmmmmmmmm

·
Premium Member
3,850 Posts
I think that if you look at anyone who has started his/her own business, you'll see someone who worked very long hours to make it what it is today. While I won't speak for others, when I was actively working, there was no such thing as a 40 hour/ five day work week.

As DSJR70 stated, we had this conversation on Sunday when we stopped by the H-D dealership to look around at the bikes and gear. Since the H-D dealerships in our respective areas are open seven days per week, we were a bit miffed to see this super-sized dealership with a sign that stated it was closed Sundays and Mondays. While we were there, not only was an MSF class in progress on the back lot of the dealership, a group of six H-Ds rode through.

I don't know about you, but to me, that's potential business and in this economy not being open to serve them and take their money is very strange in my book.

When we had a Victory Dealer in South Florida, it was the same thing. Closed Sundays and Mondays. The Ft. Pierce Victory Dealership operates the same way.

I will say that the mega dealership where I purchased the Spyder is open seven days per week. I'm not sure if this is just during riding season or year 'round. When I was there one Sunday, while they had a skeleton crew, I saw customers buying bikes, accessories and gear. In fact, I did the paperwork on my Spider on a Sunday and had it delivered the same day. They also offer free pickup and delivery(within a reasonable distance)for bikes needing service to assist those who may not have the time to drop-off/pickup a bike. I was just at this Dealership and asked how they were doing. I was told that business has picked up and this was evidenced by a much lower level of bike inventory. Just a few months ago, they were racked, stacked and packed with new bikes.

As stated in another post, while we're not trying to overwork the staff, if the customers are riding on Sundays, it seems that it would be not only be logical, but a wise financial move to have the dealers opened when the riders are on their bikes. While I won't pretend to know anything about operating a motorcycle dealership, it just seems like a no-brainer to be opened when your customers have the time to stop by.

Like they say in the Lottery ads...If you want to win, you have to play.

·
Registered
11,775 Posts
It is against the law in my county maybe even state to sell motor vehicles on Sunday. The Christian business owners fought for that complaining that they and their employees needed time for church. They also complained that other business operations would have an unfair advantage if they (non-religious heathens) stayed open.

As far as working 7 days that is too easy for words. You rotate staff with floating days off to cover your weekend. Anybody does not wish to work weekends, well, thanks for applying but no thanks.

Personally I think Sunday would be a big business day for a bike dealership.

·
Registered
4,867 Posts
Many years ago when big Bro stepped in and said "No car sales on Sunday" I told my wife it was the biggest mistake in the world. People have to work to pay for these overpriced roller skates. And at that time the only days i had to go looking for a vehicle was a Sat and Sun. I know they tried to overcome this by extending their hours , but after a long day at work the last thing on my mind was going and dealing with salesmen.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
In Utahyou cannot sell cars or Motorcycles and even RV's on Sunday as they are all closedthis is due to the law. What happened is some people from out of state came in and kept bsinesses open on Sundays (cars sales) and had an advantage becsue the religous group here kept there businenss closed and we had an unfair advantage or them so they made a law.Which I think is stupid as lots of people are offon Sunday and its a great day to go car shopping or evenMotorcycle shopping.The reason for that is the chuch (LDS) runs the state and I dont think this is the place to get into that I just dont agree with that.If I own a business I want to be open. Lots of people ride on Sundays and they like to stop in the shop but oh well they are closed here.

·
Registered
12,236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

satxron said:
As far as working 7 days that is too easy for words. You rotate staff with floating days off to cover your weekend. Anybody does not wish to work weekends, well, thanks for applying but no thanks.

Personally I think Sunday would be a big business day for a bike dealership.
Amazing, me and you are the onlyones to figure that out...lol I own my own company and a 60 or 70 hour week is not uncommon. My guys do not work more then 50 hours a week because productivity goes down.My business is 24/7/365 and I offer good incentives to my people that work the weekends. Saturday, time and a half, Sunday double time whether they are over 40 or not. But if they work the whole weekend I give them the following Thursday and Friday off so they have a little vacation. I realize that dealerships can not offer those perks because unlike my business, they can not charge more for a bike or parts on a weekend. So the flex week can work... But who am I to tell the dealer what to do... Just the consumer...

·
Registered
255 Posts
Nowadays, any number of reasons. Primarily, I think, to give small business owners a day off, and when coupled with a Monday closing, to give them and their employees two days off in row. Originally, the Sunday "Blue Laws" were enacted because the influence of religious leaders to close most businesses, especially those involved in the sale of liquor, to insure that they were the only ones doing business on Sundays. There are a lot of remnants of this practice still around, particularly in the "bible belt". I think it's kind of funny that in some places, liquor is apparently less sinful when sold by state operated "ABC" stores and I can't figure out why automobile dealerships seem to have been singled out for Sunday closures in the early days of their existance. I don't seem to remember either liquor ar automobiles being mentioned as sinful in the bible.

1 - 20 of 276 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.