Why did Polaris stick with Indian motor and not Victory? | Page 4 | Victory Motorcycles: Motorcycle Forums

Why did Polaris stick with Indian motor and not Victory?

Discussion in 'Victory General Discussion' started by LouisArena, Oct 8, 2021.

1. Slash1

Slash1 New Member

Type of Motorcycle Currently Riding:
    2016 Vegas 8-ball
    I’m with slickvic. Just bought my second Victory when they killed the brand. Left me high and dry for accessories. Love the way the Vic makes power. Looked at the new Indian Chief and wondered why it only makes 75 hp. No thanks.

2. James__

James__ Active Member

2014 XC
    79 horsepower isn't anything to get excited about, but 111lb-ft at the wheel out of the box is pretty good.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. James2003x

James2003x Active Member

2015 XCT

Or they weren’t idiots.

If they kept both. What do you think people would buy more of once they took a ride in each bike? Most would buy the better performing less expensive better Handel if motorcycle. Unless they just wanted Indian for its name.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. slickvic

slickvic Well-Known Member

2011 Cross Country
    But a sale is a sale and yes some just want an Indian. Polarass still wins As I mentioned in another thread or maybe it was this one. Indian / Polarass is now allowing dealers of multi brands to place there bikes in the same building as BMW, Yamaha and Ducati. Seen it and now I laugh. So now what cha got to say Polarass. Someone comes in to look at an Indian and they leave on a Beemer ? Yeah that’s good for business….. atleast for the dealer.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. walks35

walks35 Well-Known Member

2004 Victory Kingpin
    Just watched this that posted a few weeks ago. Interesting take.

• Like Like x 3
  6. NY mike

NY mike Well-Known Member

Indian chieftain - Harley Ultra
    Better performing stock out of the box has to go to Indian with the challenger motor at this point. And handling I’d say that was about even. Fit and finish hands down indian. But you could definitely get into an excellent machine for less money with victory

• Informative Informative x 1
  7. Mikekoz13

Mikekoz13 Well-Known Member

2014 Indian Chieftain, 2016 Cross Country, 2008 Victory Vision
    Over the years I’ve ridden Yamahas, Harleys, and now, I own an Indian and two Victory’s. I was late coming to Victory…never bought one until they were out of business.
    Why was I late coming to Victory? 1)They had zero marketing in my area so they were never even on my radar. 2) I was not a fan of the looks initially. 3) Iwas a Harley guy.
    So what happened to change my mind and to get me away from Harleys? It was Delmarva Bike week…I think in 2012….and Indian had a tent set up. They had a couple old Kings Mountain Indians set up…..and a pretty raw “new Indian” with an early version of the 111 motor. It stopped me dead in my tracks and I spent about an hour talking to the reps about what would be coming out in the future. Shortly after that there was a long article in one of the motorcycle mags about the new Indian motor.

when the bikes finally came out I went to a demo day, rode one, and a few months later bought a 2014 Chieftain. I took a lot of heat from my HD friends but I just smiled….knowing that I was riding a better Bike.

So how did I wind up coming to Victory? It was the Summer of 2017 and Victory had gone out of business a few months earlier. I went to Vermont with a Friend on a Bike trip. Most of his Friends up there rode Victory’s. It was the first time I had ever really been around Vics. I was surprised at how big they were and how well it looked like they handled zipping thru the mountains.
    My wife even said, “Look how smooth those Victory’s look going thru all those turns. You should get one when we get home.” I told her that I wasn’t getting rid of my Indian. Her reply…”Who said you had too?”
    So when I got home I figured I would look around and see if I could find a leftover for a good price. I was looking for a Cross Country in the pearl suede site. A month later I found one 3 hours away. It had 1 mile on it.
    I called the dealer to verify the price that was posted…..sticker was $20k….price listed was $13,400. I asked for a completed bill of sale and in less than an hour the deal was done and I had a bill of sale in hand. They added on the stage 1 tri ovals installed for $500 and bag guards for $100. For $14,000 I got the best motorcycle that I have ever owned.
    What makes it the best for me? Absolutely bullet proof (23k miles), easy oil changes, and the room. My Chieftain looks small sitting next to it.
    I bought a 2008 Vision Tour Premium from the original owners widow 2 years ago. Again…a fantastic Bike that handles like a dream.

I took a lot of ribbing for a long time from local folks about my Victory. But now I get a lot of people asking about it and I always get compliments about it. When folks see it they know who’s it is….not just another black Harley. Unique, dependable, and as one guy put it “Dude, your Indian is beautiful but your Victory is a bad motherf*cker.”

My favorite bike out of all that I have owned.

The Cross Country…..man if Indian would build that Bike with that Power Plus motor….

• Like Like x 6
    • Winner Winner x 3
  8. Slash1

Slash1 New Member

2016 Vegas 8-ball
    I know the torque numbers look good, but they just tell me that the Indians are tuned like HD engines: big bottom-end grunt with less and less power as the motor revs. I much prefer how the 106 in my Vegas makes power. I also love the sound track from that Freedom engine!

I think Victory sales slumped because they weren’t spending any capital on great designs, other than the XC line. How many matte paint jobs do you need in one line? If Victory had kept with the “factory custom” concept, they could have stayed relevant. I’d have never changed brands. Compare the crap paint jobs in later model years to the beautiful paint on the mid to late 2000s bikes.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  9. James2003x

James2003x Active Member

2015 XCT

I was referring to the challenger vs the victory.

10. Slash1

Slash1 New Member

2016 Vegas 8-ball
    Sorry. I was comparing to the new Chieftain bike.

11. Chattanooga_Mark

Chattanooga_Mark Well-Known Member

2012 CCT, Wonderful in white
    Except the 2018 or 2019 Victory would have had the new Victory designed ‘Challenger’ motor. So once again, Victory was the American Muscle powerhouse brand.

I snicker a bit at Polaris trying to maintain Indian as a heritage brand while also trying to turn it into a muscle brand. What full blown idiots.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2021 at 12:26 PM
    • Agree Agree x 2
  12. Slash1

Slash1 New Member

2016 Vegas 8-ball
    I think Victory is the best thing that ever happened to HD. I doubt HD would have put so much into motor development if Victory hadn’t been embarrassing them into it.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  13. NY mike

NY mike Well-Known Member

Indian chieftain - Harley Ultra
    Yeah but let’s be realistic it’s a could’ve would’ve should’ve for victory but Zero reality. Everyone one knows this Indians heritage only goes back to 2014. But let’s be honest again it got them off the ground and running with the heritage styling. And now that old heritage styling is just about done. Which I think is a mistake myself. A lot of buyers moved in their direction for exactly that reason. But hey what do I know I’m just a rider.

• Agree Agree x 3
  14. Chattanooga_Mark

Chattanooga_Mark Well-Known Member

2012 CCT, Wonderful in white
    Completely agree. Polaris seems to think they’ve already run out of runway regarding heritage with their Indian brand.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Alwhite00

Alwhite00 Well-Known Member

Victory
    Just for the record I LOVE my 2015 XCT. I’m 6’2” and it fits me like a glove with the controls in the forward position. Any other bike I’ve driven or even sat on feels small. Especially HD

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1