Why did Polaris stick with Indian motor and not Victory? | Page 2 | Victory Motorcycles: Motorcycle Forums

Why did Polaris stick with Indian motor and not Victory?

Discussion in 'Victory General Discussion' started by LouisArena, Oct 8, 2021.

1. Bikesofbrads

Bikesofbrads Well-Known Member

Type of Motorcycle Currently Riding:
    2015 victory xct & 06 katana
    Is the only way to possibly make it better, well, adjustable suspension too if being spoiled

2. SteveSmirh

SteveSmirh Member

Custom Victory
    Whoa : impressive!

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Texasbaehr

Texasbaehr Well-Known Member

2012 Victory Vision Arlen Ness, Kawasaki Drifter 800
    Indians are selling very well so Polaris read the market and responded. While we love our Vics many of the designs were just too polarizing for the cruiser/ tour bike buyers out there. The Vision like the Honda Rune are either love it or hate it designs.
    The elephant in the room was Harley and Polaris had to tap that cruiser/ tour market with familiar designs. Look at all the Japanese cruisers, they all have HD similar styling.

• Agree Agree x 3
  4. jwfuchs1

jwfuchs1 Well-Known Member

Cross Country
    How many miles do you got on your custom Vic?

Any pictures yet?

• Funny Funny x 1
  5. jwfuchs1

jwfuchs1 Well-Known Member

Cross Country
    The biggest fu(k up with the Challenger in my opinion is not having Cross Country size of saddle bags or floorboards. I also thought the bike was more cramped than the Cross Country. Out of all the bikes I've ridden the Cross Country is the only bike that I feel like I'm sitting in vs sitting on top of.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
  6. slickvic

slickvic Well-Known Member

2011 Cross Country
    The new Chieftain / Harley look alike / standard fenders……. Could be a hit with a little more styling. Throw in the challenger motor. Redesign the in your face dash. Larger floor board and you have the closest thing to a Cross bike that Indian can muster. Only then would I be interested as I fit on anything with my size. It’s the motor that will get me interested mostly. I’m all about the motor. The 116 doesn’t do it for me as I like to ring out the throttle from time to time.

• Like Like x 2
  7. Chattanooga_Mark

Chattanooga_Mark Well-Known Member

2012 CCT, Wonderful in white
    Polaris had 2 out the 3 American built motorcycles, now they only have 1. Yes, the Indian brand sells better. But Polaris didn't have to murder their own brand to care for their adopted brand. Doing so still has serious repercussions from a huge segment of the biker community.

Never trust someone who murdered their own to babysit yours.

I fully understand the business is business aspect of things. Thankfully both Wine and Menetto are gone.

• Like Like x 4
  8. normthenomad

normthenomad Well-Known Member

2012 Crossroads LE, 1997 Buell S1 Hammer performance 1275 crush setup.
    The KP ergonomics are on a par with my CR, maybe not used to the CR yet but I liked the KP parking lot speed maneuverability better than the CR. The CR feels pretty nose heavy at walking speed, at speed the thing corners like it's on rails and surprisingly easy to flip to one direction to the other when playing in the twisties.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. NY mike

NY mike Well-Known Member

Indian chieftain - Harley Ultra
    I can agree with some of that Vic. I do prefer my limited platform better myself. But that mite be because in the last 40 yrs of my Bagger time mine have all looked the same and I’m bored with the look. Not to mention
    My platform handles much better at 100+ speeds. Like you I want that motor. My 111 does a great job with definitely enough TQ for me anyway. The in your face dash I didn’t care for in the beginning. But it’s grown on me to where now I love it and the ride command is just a major bonus performs well. I can live with the Harley lookalike thing if I had to in order to get that motor if that what it comes down to. But as of now I still love this bike as is. As I’ve said if nothing on the horizon in the next 2 years I’ll be looking for a queen like mine.

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. zebber

zebber Active Member

2016 Magnum, 2017 Indian Roadmaster
    I swore I would never get rid of my Victory's and get an Indian. I also swore to never own another Harley, not that I hate Harley's but I do hate passing 50 bikes that look just like mine. You don't have to worry about that with a Victory or Indian,, at least around here. But as time went on I kept wondering what would happen if I broke down 1000 miles from home on the Vision. Have broken down 200 miles from home and it sucked ,but 1000 miles is a different story and with no dealers now and parts getting harder to get I started changing my mind about getting something newer, less miles and easier to get parts for in an emergency. With Harley out of the picture the next best thing to a Victory was Indian. After riding all of the models at the demo event the only one I remotely liked was the Roadmaster so I got one. Is the Roadmaster as good as the Vision? in some ways it's better but in other ways it's not as good. But, I can get parts and accessories easily,, for now anyway. For shorter trips I still have the Magnum so the being far from home worry is not there.

• Like Like x 4
  11. Chattanooga_Mark

Fear makes a lot of people do a lot of things. But it most certainly won’t entice me to spend $30K on a Polaris Indian.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Funny Funny x 1
  12. NY mike

NY mike Well-Known Member

Indian chieftain - Harley Ultra
    @slickvic I just found this $hit I really don’t want to buy a new bike ! C8432A3B-6C74-4995-A9FA-0EEEB207D031.png

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  13. Texasbaehr

Texasbaehr Well-Known Member

2012 Victory Vision Arlen Ness, Kawasaki Drifter 800
    It’s a business decision. Having two competing lines of bikes is not sustainable. Especially for a company who mainly manufactures off road and water power sports.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Chattanooga_Mark

I disagree. Having a unique ‘power cruiser’ line along with a ‘heritage’ line was and could have remained great. They were ‘competing’ with themselves and they ‘won’ no matter which Polaris brand was purchased. They could have easily adjusted the manufacturing numbers and the investment as needed for each line.

IMHO, part of the ‘problem’ was the designers and the engineers had completely run out of ideas on what to do with Indian after they came out with the initial bikes. That’s been proven by Indian then copying H-D design cues and then taking what they did for Victory and coming out with the Challenger.

Polaris Indian, going forward, can’t continue to copy aesthetics or take from Victory because they already spent those ‘assets’. The next ‘new’ bike will hopefully be new and unique.

• Agree Agree x 4
  15. normthenomad

normthenomad Well-Known Member

2012 Crossroads LE, 1997 Buell S1 Hammer performance 1275 crush setup.
    Just returned from a 3500 mi.ride, AZ to KY and back. Rode an additional 300 or so while I was there. Took all the old US and state highways whenever possible. US 60 and US 54 comprised most of it. I felt more comfortable on my Vic than I ever did on a Harley. There aren't many gas stops going that route, much less dealers. Have made that run twice now on Vics one on an '06 KP, this time on a '12 CR. The only glitch I've had was a flat just outside of Roswell on the KP. DO NOT go to the Harley dealer in Roswell. He knew he had the only tire available.Believe me I paid big.
    Told one of my cousins a Victory is the only motorcycle I'd trust to ride where I do since I ride alone.
    I'm 75 soon to be 76 and have been riding just short of 60 years.
    Victory, the motorcycle I always wanted.

• Like Like x 10
    • Winner Winner x 1