VOG Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone own a 2011 XC that makes a whirring noise on light or steady throttle up to 2500 RPMs, it's pretty loud once warmed up. It's not the gear clatter issue (I'm fully aware of that) this is a whirring noise in all gears. The 2010 XC doesn't make this noise.

Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
471 Posts

The local demo unit is the same. Seems they took the noise outta the tranny and put it in the engine. Can it be that difficult to make a quiet drivetrain??
RR

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you, finally someone who knows what i'm talking about!!! You wouldn't believe how many people say there 2011 doesn't make any noise at all. Do you think this is normal or is there an issue??? It drives me nuts when i'm riding on secondary roads constantly hearing this whirring noise. I would rather have the 2010 with the noisy transmission then hear this whirring the whole time.

·
Registered
3,229 Posts
We had a demo weekend at work, and I rode a host of 2011 bikes during the event. While riding I kept my ear out for the "awful" whirring noise below 2500 that I keep hearing about. Well yes I did hear a light wirring noise, and I belive it is from the primary. Thing is you are sitting a foot above roughly 400 MOVING METAL PARTS. The only way to make these things any quieter would be some type of sound deadening insulation or encasing the motor in a shell. Either way it would make the engine bigger, heavier, and just plain ugly. If these drivelines make to much noise. I really need to suggest a convertible to some people

·
Registered
7,189 Posts
kevinx01 said:
We had a demo weekend at work, and I rode a host of 2011 bikes during the event. While riding I kept my ear out for the "awful" whirring noise below 2500 that I keep hearing about. Well yes I did hear a light wirring noise, and I belive it is from the primary. Thing is you are sitting a foot above roughly 400 MOVING METAL PARTS. The only way to make these things any quieter would be some type of sound deadening insulation or encasing the motor in a shell. Either way it would make the engine bigger, heavier, and just plain ugly. If these drivelines make to much noise. I really need to suggest a convertible to some people
People forget that their car motor is under an insulated hood and firewall. I love it when people come to my body shop to pick up their car, open the hood and start the motor. Then the questions start about "what's that noise"? That's your motor running, close the hood and turn on the radio!

·
Registered
63 Posts

Just put the first 500miles on my new '11 Cross Country. The couple we have been riding with for years sad it sounds like a jet engine to them when they pull along side.
Before all they could hear was the sound of my Road House pipes on my VTX1800.
My Stage 1's are being installed this weekend hope to give her a little more exhaust note .
So far I am not disapointed with the change.

·
Registered
7,189 Posts
BigRedXerII said:
Just put the first 500miles on my new '11 Cross Country. The couple we have been riding with for years sad it sounds like a jet engine to them when they pull along side.
Before all they could hear was the sound of my Road House pipes on my VTX1800.
My Stage 1's are being installed this weekend hope to give her a little more exhaust note .
So far I am not disapointed with the change.
The stage 1 pipes take some miles to really get some good sound going. I have 6000 miles on mine now and they just keep getting louder with a deeper tone.

·
Registered
7,141 Posts

VicXCrider said:
That must mean I have an issue because my whirring noise is definetly loud. Mainly right around 2000 - 2500 RPMS on light throttle. Looks like i'm going to the dealer.
Just a thought, have you checked your oil level?
Do you check while it's on the sidestand or standing straight up?

·
Registered
59 Posts
Mine does the same thing. When I'm driving in 1st or 2nd gear really slow there is a whirring sound is the only way to describe. Almost sounds like something rubbing. I have 1,500 miles on my 2011 XC. I've changed the oil and had the 700 mile service. Tech heard it and doesn't have any idea what it is. Belt seems right, no rubbing on belt guard, shock has 52 psi???? I just figured it is what it is, cause the bike runs awesome!!!!!!

·
Registered
46 Posts
I have a 2010 XC and hear a whirring noise at lower RPMs. I have always thought it was the airbox sucking air in under the tank. Does not soung mechanical to me. Every thing works and the bike runs great. Have 14000+ miles on the machine.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I hear the whirring noise too. That hasn't bothered me so much and I realize some noise is to be expected due to the reasons mentioned above. My '11 Vision has a pronounced rattle/clatter that occurs when the bike is idling in neutral after it warms up. The dealer says there's nothing wrong, but my "08 Vision didn't sound like there are loose parts rattling around in the primary case. I hear this is a problem with some, not all of the new transmissions.

·
Registered
4,500 Posts
I have RPW exhaust and have never heard anything!!! :) Seriously, every bike I have owned has it's own noise personality. I love the way Vics sound!! PS......Try Amsoil next time you change your oil!

·
Registered
7,189 Posts
My guess is you're hearing the gear driven primary. You probably don't hear it as much on the 2010 because of all the gear whine. Put some pipes on it, don't worry, be happy.

·
Registered
317 Posts
So on my 6 mile ride (pretty much all highway) back to work after lunch, I turned the radio all the way down and tried to listen to a whirring sound (2011 XC). I didn't hear any noticeable noise other than what I would consider normal engine sound and the wind. I'm going to take the bike out in a bit to blow off some steam and not strangle my son (just kidding, but he lost my iPod touch so I'm not happy with him). I'll listen for it as I cruise I-64 and dodge those crazy Illinois drivers.

·
Registered
2,397 Posts
My 2011 XC now has a little over 3200 miles on it and that is the one thing that really bugs me is the high pitched whir and from what I can tell it comes from the primary or transmission. It shifts good, and has no issues, just up to 2,000 RPM it is a real loud whir and then gradually quiets as the RPM hits 2500. t is real lous when cold and warming up. The one thing that really bugs me is that noise...

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.