VOG Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All,

I finally took Veronica (2007 8ball) out this past weekend. I got her used and was only able to ride her twice before winter hit DC.

I noticed that she is making a noise that I can only describe as "whirring." This happens at low speeds and low gears. When she gets warmer or I am cruising along at higher speeds I dont hear it (it might still be there but I dont hear it). I have swept piped and she was remapped accordingly.

I took her to the shop and they said the 07 cam makes that noise. It vibrates through the tank. They said some people have luck with Amsoil to reduce the noise. Another forum said it was the gears since the Vegas is a gear based bike.

Thoughts? How can I quiet her down? All I want to hear is the thumping of my pipes!

·
Registered
368 Posts
I got the exact same bike including the year (07). Mine makes the same noise, part of the deal...nothing to worry about.

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
Welcome to VIC....when you have that much power, there's gonna be noise.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Wife's bike is the same bike.

Only whirling noise is the belt rubbing on the upper bolt of the front sprocket cover.

Bike has the lowering kit and brought down on the preload for her,

funny thing is that it only makes that noise when I ride it... hmmmm

As you have bought the bike used it may have had the lowering links installed.
But have a look at your belt to be sure.

Only the 06 and 07 models have this problem as the changed the upper bolt location on the 08 model years and newer.

just my opinion

·
Registered
27 Posts

I had the same issue on my 06 vegas, which I had lowered with the vegas low shock (approx 1.5") and I got the whirring/whining sound when I hit a bump and it was constant when I had a passenger. After about 5 months of looking what the problem was I found the belt hitting the cover. Check the link below which shows my modifications.
http://thevog.net/forums/display_topic/id_2560/
Hope this helps

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I am pretty sure its not the belt rubbing. The sound is coming from the front end of the bike.

Sounds like this is standard... but I wish I could quiet it down! I think it sounds like a hot wheels car wash set! Like kids playing with gears!

Anyone have luck with synthetic oil like Amsoil?

·
Registered
409 Posts
drublix said:
I am pretty sure its not the belt rubbing. The sound is coming from the front end of the bike.

Sounds like this is standard... but I wish I could quiet it down! I think it sounds like a hot wheels car wash set! Like kids playing with gears!

Anyone have luck with synthetic oil like Amsoil?
Amsoil...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.