VOG Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I noticed this morning on the way to work a whining noise everytime I reduced speed (between 2nd, 3rd, or 4th gear) or when I started coasting (clutch lever in) on the way to slowing down. I believe I'm hearing it from the rear tire area. Anyone every heard anything like this? I did an inspection and didn't see anything rubbing and the only thing I've did recently with regard to repair was have the brake line recall corrected, but didn't have to remove the tire or anything.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Could it be the drive belt , Jack it up and spin the rear wheel .

·
Registered
417 Posts
" So I noticed this morning on the way to work a whining noise everytime I reduced speed "

Ok I'll get this in before anyone else , Its not the wife on the back is it ? :)

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
Check your rear tire and I mean roll the bike and check the whole rear tire.
Some tires wear down and cause a noise.

Reactions: bubbleh1

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
any chance of a lowering kit? can be rubbing on fenders.
the brake line runs past the swing arm and could be inclose proximity to the tire, if the mech had forgotten to fasten one older between the tire and swingarm.
I have a rear air kit and I checked that area pretty thoroughly last night. I will check the break lines again just to verify. Thanks!

·
Registered
39 Posts
I have a 2015 XCT and mine was doing the same thing. Took it to a dealer and it ended up being the drive belt needing retentioned. The tech compared it to the drive belts on the new bikes on the floor and showed me how lose mine was. If your handy and have the tools, you should be able to fix it yourself.

·
Registered
417 Posts
If its none of the above its possible the belt is getting a bit hard you could give it a spray to see if it goes away but its a bit of a coincidence that you had some work done and now its there . Maybe give them a ring and ask if they adjusted something you was not aware of its probable this caused the whining .

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I wish I was that handy, but I'll take a look and see what I can. If that is the case, they will get it this week.

I have a 2015 XCT and mine was doing the same thing. Took it to a dealer and it ended up being the drive belt needing retentioned. The tech compared it to the drive belts on the new bikes on the floor and showed me how lose mine was. If your handy and have the tools, you should be able to fix it yourself.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I talked to the dealership and they didn't doing anything except reroute the brake line per the recall. No adjustments or anything. I'll take a look and like CERobinson said, I will take it back and let them work on it.

If its none of the above its possible the belt is getting a bit hard you could give it a spray to see if it goes away but its a bit of a coincidence that you had some work done and now its there . Maybe give them a ring and ask if they adjusted something you was not aware of its probable this caused the whining .

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
@bubbleh1 what tire did you install on the rear? some tires are a little noisy on certain surfaces.

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
@bubbleh1 That belt is probably not the problem, The E4 rear can make a little whining noise, mine does on some surfaces and not on others. Other than that the tire has been pretty good.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
@JamesBond did you see the picture I posted? I think the belt is tighter than it should be too based on my readings. As far as road conditions, I agree you can hear tire sounds based on the type of road your on but this is different. the noise doesn't sound like tire noise, but I also don't know what a bad belt sounds like either.

@bubbleh1 That belt is probably not the problem, The E4 rear can make a little whining noise, mine does on some surfaces and not on others. Other than that the tire has been pretty good.

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Do you here a chirping noise?

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Yes that is always a possibility

Reactions: bubbleh1
1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.