VOG Forum banner
1 - 20 of 128 Posts

·
Registered
5,092 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been doing some research on the next bike I want to add to my Stable. I'm pretty sure it will be a Sport Touring bike. I WILL NOT buy another BMW product ever! So they are out.

I've been looking at FJR1300 and Concours 14. I did a demo ride on an FJR a few years back and wasn't all that impressed. It was the last year of the previous version of the FJR. It wasn't comfortable and seemed pretty anemic from a performance standpoint. I was really disappointed because I've always liked Yamaha. I think they probably had it on the detuned Touring setting when I rode it. I'm not sure if the new FJR would be any better or not. The Concours seems to fit me better, but I haven't had an opportunity to ride one yet. I still think a Motus would be a blast, but I could buy BOTH an FJR AND a Concours for the asking price of a Motus!

I am wanting something with good performance and handling mostly for day trips to the mountains. Also to keep some of the miles off my Magnum. I want something I can pick up fairly cheap, ride hard, and put away wet, so to speak. I want some luggage on it for a little storage. I need it to be all day comfortable, or be able to make it to where it is pretty easily. I don't think I could do 300-400 mile days on a true sport bike anymore. I don't think my knees or wrists could handle it. So far, the Concours fits me well, is comfortable sitting on it at the dealership, is rated at 154 hp (at the crank) seeing 130-135 hp stock at the rear wheel and 160 hp at the wheel easily attainable with a pipe and a tune. One of the local dealerships has a used one that I should be able to test ride. There are several leftover 16's and 17's marked down $3000 - $4000 off MSRP in my area. Seems the Sport Touring bikes are not as popular anymore. Not sure why...

Are there any other bikes out there in this catigory I should be looking at? Anyone have experience with the newer FJR1300 or Concours 14? Any input you have is welcome.

Thanks!

·
Registered
174 Posts
No experience on the newer FJR... had an 08 FJR a few bikes back and liked it better than the Concourse. If I ever get the itch for another Sport Tourer, definitely going to check out the KTM Super Duke...

BEST TOURING BIKE: KTM 1290 Super Duke GT

Reactions: Poseidon

·
Registered
12,815 Posts
Tire Wheel Fuel tank Automotive lighting Automotive tire
There's the Honda ST 1300

Reactions: Poseidon and Flyboy

·
Lone Rider of the Apocolypse
6,677 Posts
Stay away from the Honda. They are overpriced for what they are and have high speed instability issues. All of the Police versions were pulled from service after several crashes; most never made it back. Love the engine and the suspenders are supposedly very nice, but it's otherwise very bland. And oh yeah, unstable! Pass.

I happen to love the Concours 14, and would have bought one if they had offered an updated 2017 model. But they refuse to do anything with the platform at all, and now I understand why

This is the Ninja H2 SX. That's right, the 1000cc supercharged Ninja H2 Hyper tourer! It just got released so details are thin at the moment. We don't even know for sure if it is coming to the U.S. but I would be shocked beyond belief if it didn't. It figures that this thing would come out now, just after I made my choice!

·
Registered
5,092 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Stay away from the Honda. They are overpriced for what they are and have high speed instability issues. All of the Police versions were pulled from service after several crashes; most never made it back. Love the engine and the suspenders are supposedly very nice, but it's otherwise very bland. And oh yeah, unstable! Pass.

I happen to love the Concours 14, and would have bought one if they had offered an updated 2017 model. But they refuse to do anything with the platform at all, and now I understand why

This is the Ninja H2 SX. That's right, the 1000cc supercharged Ninja H2 Hyper tourer! It just got released so details are thin at the moment. We don't even know for sure if it is coming to the U.S. but I would be shocked beyond belief if it didn't. It figures that this thing would come out now, just after I made my choice!
The H2 would be awesome! I can't believe it is chain drive tho. Seems like it will be more Sport than Tour. No one that rides long distances is going to want to deal with chain maintenance. I'm sure the price is going to be up in the neighborhood of the Motus too.

Thanks for the info on the Honda. I had seen it in my searches, but it really didn't peak my interest anyway.

The Concours seems like a no frills bike. I actually like that for my purpose. Minimal electronics. I really don't need or want the electronic suspension and all the other crap they put on most of these bikes. If I go with the Concours, I will probably add the Rostra cruise control, but I may just do a throttle lock. I saw info on unlinking the brakes. I may look into that as well if trail braking is not an option with the lowest setting for the linked brakes.

I really just need to ride the new FJR and the Connie at some point. In the mean time, I'll do some research on the KTM and the Triumph.

·
Registered
6,846 Posts
I can't tell you how many times I almost talked myself into a Concours. I very nearly bought the Buell ST once too.. ended up getting the M2 instead cuz I liked the looks and it was hella cheaper.

I dunno if I'm still game for a sport tourer. My SP1000 Moto Guzzi will always hold the trophy in my heart but that was a long long time ago... my new XC seems to work pretty good for me in my dotage.

·
Registered
23,463 Posts
I can't tell you how many times I almost talked myself into a Concours. I very nearly bought the Buell ST once too.. ended up getting the M2 instead cuz I liked the looks and it was hella cheaper.

I dunno if I'm still game for a sport tourer. My SP1000 Moto Guzzi will always hold the trophy in my heart but that was a long long time ago... my new XC seems to work pretty good for me in my dotage.
If I'm honest with myself... a sport-tourer would be the most practical machine for my current motorcycle use.
But... I like big V-Twins to power my motorcycle and I hate the styling of the sport-touring machines.

I wonder if I'm alone in this or if there's actually a market for a sporty, big V-twin powered, stylish, sport-touring rig?

·
Registered
2,346 Posts
I wonder if I'm alone in this or if there's actually a market for a sporty, big V-twin powered, stylish, sport-touring rig?
I don't think you are alone but I also don't think there is enuff people out there to get a manufacturer interested.
A naked, no frills, ballsy, v-twin with a sport geometry for handling would be a lot of fun.
Most of the buying public want all the hi tech & plastic body parts.

·
Registered
6,846 Posts
I think there WAS a market for it.. the Buell did a pretty nice job of filling that role a while back but HD killed it. I really enjoyed my M2... I liked the sportier riding style and I didn't have to wind out to have fun. I always hated doing 10K rpm to get anything done.

I used to really enjoy my Guzzi too.. not quite as torquey as others you might mention but it was a nice compromise between cruiser and sport bike.

·
Registered
12,815 Posts
Tire Wheel Land vehicle Vehicle Fuel tank
Victory made one. It was called the Cross Country and Cross roads.

·
6,677 Posts
If I'm honest with myself... a sport-tourer would be the most practical machine for my current motorcycle use.
But... I like big V-Twins to power my motorcycle and I hate the styling of the sport-touring machines.

There is another option, and it's one that most people don't really think about. This is a [email protected] bike, and ticks most of the boxes even for a sport tourer:

The KTM Duke 1290GT. A big V with power to burn, excellent but non-obtrusive electronics and versatility beyond imagination. Expensive to own and operate though, which I find to be a detriment. a great bike though regardless. On paper this machine wins any shootout scenario you can throw at it! However, the looks can be polarizing, which is nothing new for me. Seems all my bikes are that way!

·
6,677 Posts
This is old...
BMW K1600GT vs. Kawasaki Concours 14 vs. Triumph Trophy SE vs. Yamaha FJR1300 | Conquering The Divide

Yamaha is lightest and cheapest.
Concours is the quickest.

If it were me, I'd probably get the Kawi. I want the SIMPLE one with the least electronics.
The Concours is definitely the simplest. This was something the dealers kept telling me they wanted to maintain to keep the bike simple and keep it at a more competitive price point. Well they achieved that I suppose, but if they had given it the electronics with the IMU like they did the Ninja 1000, another pretty nice overall package that I did not give much consideration due to its smallish size, I would have bought the Connie. The Connie is still my favorite, but the lack of update plus ridiculous insurance cost drove me away from it. But let's be fair, here; if I had not received such a stonking deal on the Triumph, I still would have bought the Connie. But there was no beating the Trophy at the price point I got it for with the feature set it has and the agility this bike has. It's an absolute dream to ride. It's not the fastest of the bunch, but it's fast enough, the weather protection is actually better than the Vision's, It's way more comfortable than the FJR, handles way better than just about any of them, and provides the best overall value. SO what does that mean? Yep, you guessed it

Cat Felidae Carnivore Small to medium-sized cats Whiskers

:biggrin:

·
6,677 Posts
@Poseidon I have a chuckle at what they are calling sport tourers these days. Bikes like the Kaw Ninja 1000, Ducati Supersport S and the Suzuki GSX-1000F are now being given that classification. I suppose they loosely fit the bill, but they are too small in my opinion to fit the bill fully. But they are calling them mid-size STs. The Suzuki doesn't even offer OEM panniers, so how can that bike be a sport tourer?

Today, bikes like the Ducati Multistrada, BMW S1000 SX and similar bikes are now being given the handle of sport tourer. I don't see these bikes that way at all. At least they don't fit my definition. Granted, they have panniers and can eat up a lot of road miles in good overall comfort, but that is where the similarity ends in my view. One thing these bikes have going for them is the fact that they offer a bit more utility in the form of longer suspension travel and the ability to take on roads that the traditional sport tourers cannot. There is something to be said for that, and some might want and even need that versatility. It's all about what you want to do with the machine. I am not an off road guy, so that functionality is lost on me.

And don't even get me started on the Motus. That is not a sport tour machine really. Hell, they don't even call it a sport tourer anymore. Now they are calling it a "gentleman's' sport bike". Ummm... OK. Whatever. What it really is is just a ridiculously overpriced boutique bike with an identity crisis. Pass.

The FJR is the enigma bike to me. I have tried to buy one 4 different times, through 3 different redesigns and every time I end up on something else. Ultimately for me it's just not a comfortable bike. Looking at it you would think it would be, but the OEM seat sucks and the ergos just plain disappoint. So it looks like for me that the FJR will remain the best bike I never bought.

Reactions: Poseidon

·
Registered
23,463 Posts
There is another option, and it's one that most people don't really think about. This is a [email protected] bike, and ticks most of the boxes even for a sport tourer:

The KTM Duke 1290GT. A big V with power to burn, excellent but non-obtrusive electronics and versatility beyond imagination. Expensive to own and operate though, which I find to be a detriment. a great bike though regardless. On paper this machine wins any shootout scenario you can throw at it! However, the looks can be polarizing, which is nothing new for me. Seems all my bikes are that way!
Ugly is the first thing that comes to mind... followed by expensive... and then complicated.

Give it way too much power, then put a $6,000 electronics package of wheelie control, launch control, traction control, driving modes, etc so you don't kill yourself on it. How about we make a version de-tuned to like 130 HP without all the electronics and $6,000 cheaper? It wouldn't hurt my feelings if they did a different styling as well...

·
Registered
7,186 Posts

You're not alone. When I heard of the Big Vic liquid V-Twin that supposedly exists and makes big power, this is what I envision. I dream that Indian will breath life into it at a Reasonable price, then I wake up and reality strikes!

·
Registered
23,463 Posts
You're not alone. When I heard of the Big Vic liquid V-Twin that supposedly exists and makes big power, this is what I envision. I dream that Indian will breath life into it at a Reasonable price, then I wake up and reality strikes!
Victory... like quitting school 3/4 of the way through the 12th grade. They were almost there... just some minor refinements in the trans, quiet the engine down, maybe water jackets... maybe a bigger version of the Octane engine... They were poised to really have THE American cruiser line-up and then dropped the ball in favor of a new ball called Indian. Indian impresses me about [ ] this much.

1 - 20 of 128 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.