VOG Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to put some aftermarket pipes on my XR and wondering what peoples thoughts were on the RPW's, Ness Honkers, Atom bomb's or any others out there.
I'm looking for a deeper sound, but not much louder as we have the new sound level laws for our bikes and at $250 per ticket I'm not wanting to go doen that road. I'd need it to be 90db at idle.

·
Registered
3,394 Posts
With those restrictions I would do the factory Stage 1 package. I tried the louder pipes and although they sounded great around town, after one 2000 trip I switched back to the stage 1's and couldn't be happier.

·
Registered
444 Posts
I agree with mjw930. The stage ones are perfect. Just completed a 4000 mile trip and the sound was pleasing but never got in my head as being to loud. I have been told that the newer stage ones pipes (mine) have been reformulated to be deeper sounding. Look up my video on Youtube. jazz10or is my user name on the tube. You can get a good exanple of the sound by listening thru good speakers or good headphones.

·
Registered
7,189 Posts
When you get some miles on the stage 1 pipes and remove the rubber seal from the airfilter it sounds real nice.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I too am looking for a louder rumble on the CR. I found the 2010 stage 1 a bit too mellow for the money. However, in Mass they too have a noise law, and I do a lot of mile (15,000 and counting) Is there somewhere I can hear the stage 1 2011 kit? Or is there another after market brand I'm not seeing?

·
Registered
7,189 Posts
You have to get some miles on the stage 1's before they open up and start to rumble. At 6,000 miles mine are MUCH louder than when they were new and still getting moreso. With that said, there are much louder options out there. Just saying, don't go by what the stage 1's sound like when they're new. I would LOVE to hear the new D&D pipes.

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
My RPW's are right at 90db at idle, 110 opened up. They are getting louder with age. :)

·
Registered
7,189 Posts
Those Centerfires sound like another very good option.

·
Registered
3,394 Posts
Box_brockton said:
I too am looking for a louder rumble on the CR. I found the 2010 stage 1 a bit too mellow for the money. However, in Mass they too have a noise law, and I do a lot of mile (15,000 and counting) Is there somewhere I can hear the stage 1 2011 kit? Or is there another after market brand I'm not seeing?
No such thing as a 2011 stage 1 kit. The only exhaust changes to the 2011's are on the stock pipes, the Stage 1's are the same. The previous poster was mistaken.

·
Registered
425 Posts
I went with the Ness Big Honkers on my Vision and couldn't be happier. Now that they've "broken in" they sound real good ,e.g. deep and resonant. I (generally) wear ear plugs on a road tripso everything is muted. However, my wife often rides with me and she indicates that they are NOT too loud or bothersome...Don't think you can go too wrong on any type of non-standard exhaust that you select for the XC or Vision..

·
Registered
463 Posts

I thought about RPW's but went with the stage1 for now on my XC and...after3000 kms in 2 weeks they are allready deepening up as they burn in. The sound under acceleration is just right deep n low. AT idle ..she's a pussy cat. I think it would pass Edmonton's idle and 2000 rpm law.

They sound very good. I had my rinehart days in the sun.

bored76 said:
I'm looking to put some aftermarket pipes on my XR and wondering what peoples thoughts were on the RPW's, Ness Honkers, Atom bomb's or any others out there.
I'm looking for a deeper sound, but not much louder as we have the new sound level laws for our bikes and at $250 per ticket I'm not wanting to go doen that road. I'd need it to be 90db at idle.

·
Registered
5 Posts

Box_brockton
I have a 2010 XR with Atom Bombs, VFCIII, Victory Stage1 Air Filter and I removed the weather stripping from the front of the air box.
My bike runs and sounds great. I live in Buzzards Bay, MA. I you want to come down and have a listen e-mail me @ [email protected]
Ride Safe.

·
Registered
7,189 Posts
For Loud and performance I would go with RPW, for more rumble and performance but not so loud I would go with the new D&D pipes and they look great.

·
Registered
136 Posts
ok boys you all have a diff. vic than me, i have a VJ, and was looking to do the RPW's with a half baffles removed. I live in mass. too and the only city that has the db law is boston and unless your being stupid youll be all set. is the previously mentioned Atom bombs louder than RPW's? I wanna get sick ass loud pipes. Im coming off a night train with Samson street sweepers that set off car alarms. I wanna break windows now.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.