Which Helmet Do You Wear? (If You Wear A Helmet) | Victory Motorcycles: Motorcycle Forums

Which Helmet Do You Wear? (If You Wear A Helmet)

Discussion in 'Victory General Discussion' started by Andy, Mar 19, 2009.

1. Andy

Andy Administrator

Type of Motorcycle Currently Riding:
    1957 Flxible Starliner Bus and a 2014 Marathon Prevost Motorcoach
    There's another thread on the site that talks about a specific helmet. Now that riding season is starting in much of the country, I thought it would be constructive to start a thread about helmets and what you may like or dislike about specific models. While there's not a one-size-fits-all model or style, trading our helmet buying experiences may be a good thing.

I'll kick off this thread by stating that I have two helmets that I use regularly. Yes, I have others, but the one's such as my custom painted Troy Lee helmet is too nice to wear! I save that one for charity rides.

In the hot weather I wear a 3/4 Arai. I first learned of Arai helmets when I was riding a Goldwing and have always been impressed with the comfort. It has great padding and offers good visibility and a good fit for me. The size of this helmet is true as I've typically worn Mediums and that size worked for me. The ventilation is okay.

For non-sizzling or cooler days, I wear a Shoei Multitec full face helmet. This is a pivoting helmet where a single chin-located button unlocks the pivot to make putting-on or removing the helmet a non-painful experience. (I've had some full face helmets that feel like they are taking my ears off when I removed it or made it difficult to use with glasses). It has good padding and is almost as comfortable as the Arai. The ventilation on this helmet is a bit better than the Arai. Although I have a fairing, the flip down shield is nice when caught in the rain and so far, I've not experienced any fogging. When the shield is down, it muffles all the noise. While this can be a good feature, it makes it difficult to hear the stereo when the shield is down.

I purchased both of these helmets online fromhttp://www.helmetshop.com/. I've never purchased a helmet online before I picked up these two models and they provided great service and quick shipping. I was a bit concerned about having the ability to try it on before I bought them as I'm not one to go to a dealer, try on their helmets, then go someplace else to attempt to save a few bucks. But my dealer had only a small selection of helmets and none of them fit me well. The other dealer only carried what I consider to be ATV or Youth oriented helmets. When I called this store, the phone was answered quickly and they were very knowledgeable. The return/exchange policy is stated below.

While I've never visited its "brick and mortar" store in Daytona, they have a nice selection of helmets. Again, the salesperson who helped me on the phone was very knowledgeable.

They are not advertisers on this site, but I did have a good experience with them and thought I'd share my experience.

I'd enjoy hearing about what you think is a great helmet as well as what you like or dislike about your current lids.

Exchanges, Returns and Store Credits

Exchanges -
    You can exchange your order for a different color, size, or brand by calling our exchange department during store hours. No Exchange Fees. You only need to pay the shipping costs.

Returns -
    You can arrange for a refund by calling our return department during store hours. There is a 10% return fee for returning items without an exchange. The maximum return fee is $25. Shipping costs are not eligible for credits.

2. HammerMike

HammerMike OT-CAN

I have two helmet's; full face carbon fiber victory that i wear on the highway and a shorty polo style ACC (advanced carbon composite) blue/chrome , that i absolutely love!! The shorty matches the colour of my bike, cool, but as for comfort, it's perfect!!
    I purchased the ACC online at headtrip helmets, the customer service is great!! I had a small problem with my wifes helmet, manufactures defect. I sent it back and they sent a new one immediately and covered the cost of shipping! I should mention that i live in Canada, so this was a big plus!
    The full face Vic helmet is also very comfy and very light! No complaints there!!

3. OneThumb

OneThumb OT-CAN

I have a Shoei RJ Air Platinum for the hiway and a Victory Ghost Flame Shorty for in the city or on hot days.
    [​IMG]

4. uknessie

uknessie New Member

interesting, i assume helmets are optional? is it the same in every state?
    in the uk it is compulsory and i have quite a selection (in my voluntary role i also teach first aid and my speciality is motorcycling stuff inc helmet removal). as you say the arais are a good and comfortable fit although not the quitest helmet ever. bmw make a great range of flip front helmets that are super quiet. my current favourite is a schuberth flip front that has 2 visors, one normal clear one and a further one inside that is tinted for the sun, not quite as quiet as the bmw but a fantastic cit with great features. expensive though at £400 ($600 ish).

the piece de resistance though is my open face helmet (for jackpot riding) made in the uk by Davida - http://www.davida.co.uk/styles.php?id=4 i dont know how readily available they are in the us but i have never had such a comfortable or quiet helmet in my life.

do you have a debate over whether to wear a helmet or not? with the death of natasha richardson this week i heard a head expert give/deliver a great analogy. we buy laptops and then get all sorts of latex/padded cases for them to protect them if we drop them. well your brain is a much more complicated/sophisticated computer with no spare parts available should you fall on it yet you may decide to ride without a helmet....... freedom of choice i know but devastating for family if anything happens

• Like Like x 1
  5. FishWitch

FishWitch New Member

Most states do have helmet laws. There will always be riders that try to skirt that and wear goofy stuff.

I also have the Schuberth. It was pricey, but it fits well & I like it. I saw a very intersting episode of "How's That Made?" on Discovery(?) and they were at the Schuberth factory and showed their helmets being tested and made. Quite interesting. I feel confident it will protect my noggin the best a helmet can in case of disaster.

I went to wearing a helmet skiing as well. Very sad that brain injuries could have been prevent with a litle bit of forethought and protective gear.

I will always wear gear and a helmet. Others can make their own choice, but I do my best to encourage ATGATT.

6. Steve471

Steve471 New Member

I have an ACC helmet which I wear almost exclusively now and also a full face Nolan with Bluetooth that I wear when the weather gets a bit too cold.

7. SideshowBob

SideshowBob Member

I'm very hard to fit and have yet to find a full-face or "modular" helmet that will work. Of course, it might help if any helmet dealers would stock more than 3 or 4 models and keep some of the largest sizes in stock.

Summer in Las Vegas is just too hot for anything but a shorty and that's what I wear most of the year. When the weather turns chilly, I switch to a 3/4 with built-in face shield. Both are made by Z1R and seem to be of good quality (as far as I can tell, I'm no expert!). The 3/4 does bother me somewhat because it fits too low across my brow, actually touching the top of my glasses. I'm thinking I need to add some padding under the liner to make the helmet sit a bit higher on my head.

While on vacation in Arizona last fall I stowed the helmet and went lidless part of the time. It's a very liberating feeling.

8. Candubrain

Candubrain Active Member

2010 FLHTK, previously 08 VV premium tour
    I have a Schuberth C1 modular, really comfortable, but you can't breath behind a full fairing bike unless you crack the shield open. Need I say it's my cold weather helmet.

My main rider is a Zox 1/2 helmet, inexpensive and DOT certified, it has a zip off ear/neck curtain that is fitted for headphones. Good ventilation and very comfortable. I remove the visor and use a clear faceshield in the rain.

Presently thinking of going to a 3/4 helmet, Arai is extremely comfortable, but expensive and looks big on my head. I haven't tried the Shoei RJ, I hear there is a new model out this year. Really thinking hard about the Scorpion EXO200, but would like to see one first.

I've had Bell's in the 70's and Shoei's in the 80's.

Has anyone seen the Mimi Cromwell Spitfire Stainless Steel helmet, hand made in Italy. http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=270318592482. I love the look of this helmet, but it has no visor which is imperative to me.

9. stilcrazee

stilcrazee Well-Known Member

'12 Black XR
    I wear an HJC Sy Max II, full face modular with built in sun shield. Since I always ride with a windshield I leave the bottom of the clear face shield open about 1/8" at the bottom for circulation.

10. Drew

Drew New Member

Me too. Andy saw it and said "THAT'S the helmet you wear ... where's the rest of it". I wear it every time I ride - even in 100 degree + weather and high humidity of South Florida in the summer.

[​IMG]

11. GlennD

GlennD Member

2010 cross country
    I have a half helmet and a full helmet both fulmer.The half helmet is my helmet of choiceand only wear my full helmet when Its absolutely necessary. I am in Augusta Ga and with South Carolina ten minutes away I love to go over there and take the brain bucket off and ride.

12. VVVet

VVVet Member

I wear the Victory Torque and have been very happy with it for hiway and when it's not too hot. I just got the Victory ghost flame 1/2 and have found it to be quite comfortable in town and short hops on the tolls. I do have a real interest in the Shark Evoline and would really like any opinion on this helmet. It's rather expensive,and since it is modular to 3/4 face, and has the standard type visor and an internal sun visor, I see it as a great alternative to one for in town and one for hiway. The swing arm pulls forward and swings back to lock into the rear most part and you really can't tell it's modular. Here's some photo:
    http://www.compacc.com/p.cfm/c/1201002/p/21363
    It's also been reviewed in several places.
    Cheers!
    Russell

13. Andy

Andy Administrator

1957 Flxible Starliner Bus and a 2014 Marathon Prevost Motorcoach
    I've been looking at one of the new HJC helmets and ran across this one:

[​IMG]
    Open

[​IMG]
    Closed

I've owned HJC helmets in the past and they were fairly comfortable. I like the idea of the hinged lower area for ease of use as well as the pull down sun shield. Here's the specs:

• Advanced Injection molded polycarbonate composite shell
    • One Touch integrated SunShield System Patent Pending
    • Three Stage Multiple position Smoke tinted SunShield
    • 2 Stage Shield Closure Mechanism
    • SilverCool removable and washable interior
    The HJC IS-Max is the replacement of the popular CL-Max. HJC has improved this flip-up motordcycle helmet by adding a removable interior liner and a retractable internal sun shield. No need to stop and change over to a smoke shield. The sun visor is there whenever you need it.

Has anyone tried one of these? Are they comfortable? True to size? The price I found is $185.

14. CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke New Member

I too have 2 hemets that I use. I wear my 1/2 helmet (which is covered in "biker" stickers) whenever I'm riding solo. I'm in Florida & it gets HOT, so that's the most comfortable for me.
    When Laura & I ride 2UP, we use our "COMM" helmets which have the Scala Teamset Bluetooth communicators. Hers is a 3/4 HJC & mine is a Fulmer modular. Yeah, it's real hot but I need to talk to her when we're riding & the Scala Teamset is the only one that works for us. (I bought & discarded a "wired" comm set & also a set from Blueant as they would not hold a charge for more than 3 hours).
    BTW Florida is a "rider's choice" state but I CHOOSE to wear a helmet.

15. Gossamer

Gossamer Well-Known Member

Victory Cross Country Tour

i have 2 HJC helmets that I wear on long trips(out of state) or in very cold weather like this morning(21 degrees at ride in time). Helmets in Wisconsin are required for minors or drivers holding their instruction permits.
    My favorite is my FS-10 which has the sunshield. On long trips sunglasses and helmets give me headaches from the pressure on the temples. The sun shield, which I wish was darker, works very well. It also saves me from having carry and extra shield to switch to night time.
    It also came with a mouth guard for colder weather and a lower snap on deflector for the colder weather.
    Can't remember what I paid for it but it was well under $175 when I got it. I always liked the flip ups ideafor various weather conditions, but never found one that I liked.