VOG Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have read that these bikes are made in the USA, but I have not been able to verify this.
Does anyone know where most of the parts are made, or where these bikes are assembled?
Apparently my googlefu is off.
Thanks for any solid information about this,
Also, how does Vic compare to HD in this regard.
I have heard rumor that HD is mainly produced over seas, is this true?

·
Registered
402 Posts
Engines are made in Osceola Wisconsin and the Bikes are put together in Spirit Lake, Iowa. As for other parts I have no idea, like any other mfg including Harley I would guess they are sourced through many foreign and domestic suppliers.

EDIT: See below for more polaris info. They are based out of Minnesota.

As for how it compares to HD for being American made, no one really knows. There are all kinds of rumors and numbers floating around for both Victory and HD but I have never seen concrete numbers for either manufacturer from an actual source. The majority of parts for both are American and both are assembled in America. However with a global economy both will have their share of foreign parts, now way around it. I think they are both pretty close in % of American parts and depending on who wants to argue you will get differing numbers.

From Polaris' Website:
Polaris Industries Inc. is headquartered just outside of Minneapolis in Medina, Minnesota. Polaris engineering, manufacturing and distribution facilities are located in Roseau, Minnesota; Osceola, Wisconsin; Spirit Lake, Iowa; Vermillion South Dakota. International growth is an essential part of Polaris expansion worldwide.
Polaris Industries designs, manufactures and markets innovative, high-quality, high-performance motorized products for recreation and utility use.
Our product lines consist of all-terrain vehicles (ATVs), snowmobiles, RANGER Side x Sides, Victory Motorcycles and related parts, garments and accessories (PG&A). Polaris engineering, manufacturing and distribution facilities are located in Roseau, Minnesota; Osceola, Wisconsin; Spirit Lake, Iowa; Vermillion, South Dakota; Passy, France; Ballarat, Victoria, Australia; Winnipeg, Manitoba; and Hudson, Wisconsin (joint venture with Fuji Heavy Industries, Ltd.) International growth is also an essential part of Polaris expansion worldwide.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Thanks for your insight, and I agree that concrete numbers are difficult to come by. It would be nice to add actual facts to this conversation when it inevitably comes up, but they are difficult to find.

·
Registered
7,186 Posts
It's been said around the web that the Vics are 20% higher in USA content than the HD's, lots of Chinese electronics and chrome on the HD.

·
Registered
2,995 Posts
well the fenders are made in Sussex, Wisconsin. The brake pads used to be made in Wisconsin as well but I don't know if that changed.

The tail lights for several years were made in Germantown, WI but I know in 09 that changed(if not a little sooner), now made in Taiwan.

Some of the electronics on early bike were Delphi and Visteon parts, haven't followed along well enough to know if that's still true.

Bottom line though is sourcing changes a lot depending on contracts they have with their vendors.

Reactions: CarAudioTekk

·
Registered
2,995 Posts
wired wheels are german, Cross bike seats are Italy. Handlebar controls are China or Japan(they look alike to me, wow a non P.C. statement LOL).

Certain series Dunlops are US made, some are imported.

Brembo brakes are Italian but the new bikes don't use those anymore, not sure where they are coming from.

Headlights are Sylvania which I'm 80% sure made in mexico, not sure about the buckets though.

Transmission I think is Japanese made since 03.

·
Registered
4,867 Posts
randysfishing said:
Where does the Oilthats in the Motorcycle come from when you buy it?
Randy thats just Evil ! Funny, but evil.

When i pulled the front fairing off to do some antenna routing and speaker work. I noticed a little sticker written in German. I havent had any of the other silver off but don said he saw German too.
Just like almost anything nowadays you will find foreign parts here and there.

·
Registered
3,229 Posts

redpin04 said:
wired wheels are german, Cross bike seats are Italy. Handlebar controls are China or Japan(they look alike to me, wow a non P.C. statement LOL).

Certain series Dunlops are US made, some are imported.

Brembo brakes are Italian but the new bikes don't use those anymore, not sure where they are coming from.

Headlights are Sylvania which I'm 80% sure made in mexico, not sure about the buckets though.

Transmission I think is Japanese made since 03.
Fuji made the initial run of trannies in Japan for the 03 bikes. After that they were made in Wi. with the new stuff learned from the Japs.
By EPA standards a motor vehicle must be over 72% domestic content to be considered American made. This number is slightly confusing though as build labor is figured into that percentage. In the early 2000's was the last time I saw content listed for motorcycles. At that time Vic was just over 78%, and HD was right at 72%. I wish these thing were treated like cars by the EPA\DOT. Thrennot only would it mandatory to list content. Tools, and information would have to be shared with the public in a reasonable manor. Meaning the tool trucks would be able to sell Digital Wrench type software

·
Registered
2,995 Posts
hmm, seems like a lot of the bike is made here in Wisconsin same, same state as that other brand based out of Milwaukee, forget their name right now.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.