VOG Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Super Moderator
26,124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Today my wife left out in her Jeep to attend a baby shower. A short time later she calls and I could hear in her voice something wrong. She says "I've kinda run off the road and I'm stuck." My mind starts racing of all the things that could be wrong and I shoot up expecting to get dressed and head out.:run:

As she tells me more it turns out she was pulling into her friends driveway and fell off the edge. :doh: So I say "ok babe, send me a pic" and get this.

Tire Wheel Car Land vehicle Vehicle

So I ask if she'd put it in 4x and tried to back out. She says "no, I don't know how to do that!" I walk her through the one button operation (4x4s have come a long way) and tell her to slightly turn the wheel right and go slow. She has a friend in the background yelling "you can't go, your wheel is in the air!" I have to tell my wife to stop listening to her and listen to me.

She does and not even five seconds later she is screaming "I'm out!" Like I had a doubt.

Now the damage report. Overall the Jeep did well and I'm glad she wasn't in the Edge she used to have. The skid plate did it's job and now that she ate through the plastic trim I think some rock sliders are in order.
Wood Cloud Water Grey Automotive tire
Tire Automotive tire Automotive lighting Hood Motor vehicle

So all that brings me to this.....

What call have you gotten from a loved one where you first thought the worst but it turned out to be super simple and a non event?

·
Registered
4,841 Posts
Nice story and happy it was with parking, not on high speed

In 2003 my wife went to visit the neighbor WITH the car... Right trough there front door.... She went to school and learned how to drive a manual cars , but our car was a automatic, so instead of 3 pedals she had only 2 to choose from, and got confused hi hi...

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
Just two weeks ago I get a call at work from the wife which is really rare. Anyway, she says she's sorry to bother me at work but can I come home as soon as I can get a break. It's only five minutes away. I'm thinking what's up? Another broken water line flooding the floor again? The fridge overheating again? One of the trees came down in the wind and hit the house? The roof leaking again and dropping the ceiling that was fixed?

Nope. Couldn't open her bottle of wine.

·
Super Moderator
26,124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Just two weeks ago I get a call at work from the wife which is really rare. Anyway, she says she's sorry to bother me at work but can I come home as soon as I can get a break. It's only five minutes away. I'm thinking what's up? Another broken water line flooding the floor again? The fridge overheating again? One of the trees came down in the wind and hit the house? The roof leaking again and dropping the ceiling that was fixed?

Nope. Couldn't open her bottle of wine.
That's awesome!

·
Registered
8,141 Posts
Every time one of my daughters call up and sound distressed my mind immediately goes to "wreck".
Most of the time it's a blinker out, mechanical failure, or a boyfriend issue.

The last one was a vacuum hose leaking and a worn out throttle cable. The X decided ti steer and pay for the fix from 2k miles away by having my daughter take it to a shop.
The shop replace the two above and also all the control arms, tie rod ends, four wheel alignment, and a week and $1,800 later she was back on the road. Plus they told her another two grand should be spent to get everything they spotted...but there would be more.
Glad it wasn't my money!

·
Registered
9,224 Posts
Not long after we move into our home in the country in Magnolia, I am sitting peacfully in the den watching TV. All of a sudden a terrible, screeching cry for help from the bedroom. I'm thinking she fell somehow and broke a leg or arm. So I rush into the bedroom to see her with the back door open to the little patio off the bedroom and she's frozen, staring down a ferocious possom. Turns out the city girl is not sure about her critters. I closed the door (you can do that, you know) and assured her that although she very nearly frightened the poor possom to death, that he would be ok. Turns out she wasn't worried about the posssom at all.

I explained which creatures to avoid and which ones are alright. Not sure it helped, but now she knows.

·
Registered
379 Posts
I got "the call" that my wife was involved in a crash while running "Hot" in her cruiser. She is a PO in a neighboring city. One of her fine citizens turned left in front of her. She managed to avoid a head on crash by putting it in a ditch. Her final resting place was in between 2 large trees. Luckily she escaped any injuries. Talk about my heart rate going from 0 to 100 in seconds.

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
You guys obviously don't get this enough to get used to it. Mine screams all the time.
Now when I hear it, I roll my eyes, press pause on the show I'm watching, take a sip of my beverage, casually walk up the stairs to see what is going on.
I figure as long as I hear her scream I know she is still alive so how bad can it be.
So far each time I have been able to guide her to figuring out the problem on her own and watching her solve it.
Then I go back downstairs and resume the show knowing that I saved the day yet again.

·
Registered
9,224 Posts
It's starting to get like that around my place.

·
Registered
6,846 Posts
I don't mind when the ol lady screams.. it's when she calm and quiet that I get palpitations. First time was when she told me she was knocked up.. she coulda been talking about lunch. When she called to tell me that she'd been admitted to the hospital for emergency surgery on her heart she might as well have been telling me that I needed to pick up some stuff at the gross-me-out store on the way home.. and when she rear-ended a construction truck and wiped out her car she was as dead pan as a comic on mic night.

·
Registered
2,960 Posts
mom ( 83 ) calls me all mad and upset. says i got a flat tire just as i'm leaving to do all my errands,,, i tell her i'll be there in 15 minutes. i get there and the TRIPPLE A guy is there and all looks fixed. the guy says all the tires looked fine and he just finished checking all the tire pressures. mother insists something is wrong with the right back tire and she is not driving the car,,, i take it ten feet up the road and hear a clicking sound, turns out it was a stone stuck in the tire tread,,, i got this, lol. or the windshield washer fluid doesn't work even though she filled the container,,, i lift the hood and wonder who uses blue anti freeze and why is it overfilled,,, i can go on and on,,, gotta love mom !

·
Registered
2,346 Posts
Many years ago when Otter & I were first together we had bought the first computer.
I was still working a regular job so we could get our business rolling.

I get "the call" at work: There's smoking coming out of the monitor.
No flames just smoke. It stopped smoking while we were on the phone so I had her disconnect the cable & pull the plug.
She is one of those people who disrupt electronics: can't wear watches, CD & DVD players will quit, computers glitch etc..

·
Registered
6,798 Posts
Glad your wife's issue was not too serious VVB!
Sometime last summer I get THE CALL at work from my wife. I was already anxious picking up the phone because we text but usually don't talk during working hours unless it is really important. The call was "come home now the house is on fire"! I jump on the BBC and go flying home breaking every traffic law known to mankind on the way. When I get there the fire dept. is just coming out of the house and I don't see any smoke or damage to the house but the neighbors are milling around. Turns out that sometime probably months earlier the dryer vent came off and there was lint collecting up behind the dryer and the hot water tank next to it. From what I could determine the lint flared up and then smouldered. My next door neighbor happened to be outside and heard the commotion. He ran over and threw a blanket over the lint to smother it. In the meantime my son had already called 911. We were fortunate the house did not get tore up and my neighbor had everything under control before FD arrived.
I never used to go into that utility room, but I do now. I replaced that dryer vent setup and check it every once in a while. It is the stuff that you never think about that can bite you in the backside. This did not even scorch the drywall so I really thought my wife over reacted but we have had some discussions since with her and my son about how to handle small kitchen fires etc, ( and I was surprised that they had no idea of what should be done)so maybe it was a blessing in disguise.

·
Registered
7,536 Posts
My wife was working in the neighboring town, there are two directions you can get to her job one over a large mountain, the other way is around the mountain and pretty flat terrain.....At the time she had a Pontiac grand a.m. and it was snowing so I told her to go around the mountain since I didn’t think her car would make it in the snow.

I get a call that she was just involved in a one car accident and smashed into a guard rail due to the ice and snow.....I jump in my four-wheel-drive truck and sure enough the front end is smashed and she standing there with a local police officer.... knowing that I told her to go that way I walked up to her gave her a huge hug and kiss happy that she was OK ...Told her to take my truck ( Which I should’ve done in the first place) I thank the officer for staying with her, I had to climb on the front end to smash the hood down so I could see over the dent and drove off.

The cop looked at her and said wow he handled that really well you have a good husband....She then told him it was my fault because I told her to drive that way. (The road was horrible and slick as snot)

My bad!

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
What REALLY needs to get fixed is that terrible driveway! :banghead:

• Haha
Reactions: VicVisionBulldog

·
Registered
3,990 Posts
Not long after we move into our home in the country in Magnolia, I am sitting peacfully in the den watching TV. All of a sudden a terrible, screeching cry for help from the bedroom. I'm thinking she fell somehow and broke a leg or arm. So I rush into the bedroom to see her with the back door open to the little patio off the bedroom and she's frozen, staring down a ferocious possom. Turns out the city girl is not sure about her critters. I closed the door (you can do that, you know) and assured her that although she very nearly frightened the poor possom to death, that he would be ok. Turns out she wasn't worried about the posssom at all.

I explained which creatures to avoid and which ones are alright. Not sure it helped, but now she knows.
Lol. Last night my wife says "babe, what's this?" She shows me a still image of one of our security cameras that we just hooked up before our Texas trip. It's the one in the garage and you can tell she's creeped out but is trying to play it cool. It's a centipede hanging out In front of the lense and it's illumitaed by the night vision. I said it looks like a centipede er sumthin, and she goes oh, and I said "you thought it was a ghost, didn't you." And she told me to shut up.

·
Registered
4,559 Posts
Not a call but rather the lack of one: Many years ago my ex-fiance was down a car and I was looking for a second job. One day I have an interview and she wanted to grab some things from the store while I was in there so we both jumped in the Dakota. She drops me off at the interview then 2 hours later shows up to pick me up in a Taxi. She says nothing but "you'll see" and we drive 1/2 mile down the road where my truck (with a ladder rack) is in the car wash, stuck. The top roller came down between the cab and the rack and got stuck. To make matters worse, the green light went on so she tried to pull out, thereby tipping the entire gantry forward. Had to wait another 6 hours for a tech to come out and disassemble it so I could have my half-washed truck back. A phone call would have been nice, though. There are a few other reasons she is my ex...

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.