when dealing with family and friends........... | Victory Motorcycles: Motorcycle Forums

when dealing with family and friends...........

Discussion in 'Victory General Discussion' started by Kyle.H, Aug 23, 2019.

1. Kyle.H

Kyle.H Member

Type of Motorcycle Currently Riding:
    none
    so here is a question my family all rides and some use to. they are all up in arms about me getting a motorcycle a lot of them think i will be killed on it. how do you go about discussing with family about me getting a motorcycle any good key talking points to try to make this conversation go smoother cause no matter what i say I'm wrong. i have rode my friends motorcycle for years. i have never been reckless on a motorcycle. how do you get your point across with out being exiled out of the family. any and all help will be appreciated.

2. recumbentbob

recumbentbob Well-Known Member

2014 Cross Country Tour
    Take a motorcycle safety course then show them the certificate.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. VicVisionBulldog

VicVisionBulldog VOG Police Chief Staff Member Moderator

Top Poster Of Month

13' Vision Tour / 08' Vision Street Premium
    I'm a police officer so my motorcycles have been the least of her worries over the years.

Plus it probably helped I just started riding when we met so it wasn't something new I sprung on her later.

Then I also have life insurance and I'm worth much more dead. Lol!

Overall I just have a great wife!

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  4. VicVisionBulldog

Top Poster Of Month

What points have you thrown at them?

5. Kyle.H

Kyle.H Member

none
    i would be willing to take the msc to ease their minds i have told them bikes are a lot more well built now safety wise since the 60's on and the i want cruiser not a sport bike. they point is i will get hit and killed. my point was no one lives for ever and when our time is up its up. i told them i would up my life insurance to 600,000. 00 . i have also told them i will get a new lid that has a hud display built in so full facemask. i told them to come ride with me or behind me and see how good i really am. i told them the bikes i want and they just see stuff from their time period. i also told them i am willing to GPS the bike its self that way they can see where the bike is at if i don't come home that night and i did not answer my phone.

6. lou8700

lou8700 Well-Known Member

2012 Victory Cross Roads, 2014 Victory Cross Country Tour
    Baseball Bat!

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. Ghostrider25

Ghostrider25 Lone Rider of the Apocolypse

'14 Victory Vision.......... '17 Triumph Trophy ...... '11 Suzuki GSX1250FA
    I think the safety course is the best approach. It proves you are serious about going about riding in the right way. Is it just me or is it kind of odd that all the family rides but they do not want the kid to?

• Agree Agree x 4
  8. VicVisionBulldog

Top Poster Of Month

There are two apps my wife and I can teach each other with. One is FollowMe and the other Life360. Life360 is free and really is good, I would recommend it.

Just one it can, if you pay, teach how you drive and give reports on excessive speed, hard stops, and more. It can also have different locations marked and let people in the circle know when you arrive or leave.

It tracks each drive and does show high speed on a drive report it creates each time.

9. Kyle.H

Kyle.H Member

none
    The reason they don't want me riding is because I was involved in a high-speed car wreck on the interstate I had a drunk driver hit me when I was 21 shattered my legs arms shoulder ribs and a bunch of other bones I had to learn how to walk all over again I was stuck in a wheelchair for 4 years that's the reason they don't want me to ride on a bike they think fate is just ready to drop the other shoe at that point I guess

• Informative Informative x 3
  10. Hsns

Hsns Active Member

2006 Hammer
    Your profile says you're 37 and your posts sound like a teenager living at home...If you're married, your wife's input should probably be considered to keep the "happy wife, happy life" thing going. If you're not married or she is on board with the idea, tell everyone else to pound sand and live your life how you want to live it.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. BrotherWind

BrotherWind Well-Known Member

Vision tour 10th anniversary. #90
    Well that clears up some thoughts. Riding is a personal choice. It seems my entire life I've gotten that skit. Even recently from my Dr. For one reason or another or their bad experience they always assume you'll be eventually consumed. Riding is a personal choice. Rule your life or be ruled, just do consider thoroughly before deciding. Motorcycle course is a great start, as mentioned. Good luck.

12. Bujee1

Bujee1 Well-Known Member

2011 Cross Country, and 2016 Cross Country Tour
    That fear is real. But perhaps the odds are in your favor now. Rehab is no joke, though. I’m not sure I would be up for adding risk of going through it twice.

13. DSmith

DSmith Active Member

08 Vision, 13 Vision, 01 V92, 12 Triumph Tiger, 12 Can Am Spyder, 11 Polaris Sportsman 850 EFI, 81 Yamaha Maxum
    Sounds like you have already paid your dues and realize just how quickly life can change, kinda gives you a one up on most of us.

I teach motorcycle skill enhancement/safety, as others have said, get in some classes. And not just one, the msc is very simplistic and in my opinion a good start but inadequate. Not sure where you live, but if you do a search I could almost bet there is someone or group doing classes, many are even free or just a donation. As just about any rider coach will tell you, most of the riders out there that think they know how to ride, really don't. In visiting with my motor officer friends the most common thing I hear after investigating a motorcycle fatality is if he would have just learned to ride he probably would still be with us today. Ever hear that "experienced" rider say "That f'n car pulled out in front of me and I had to lay my bike down"? What he is really saying is I am a lousy rider and I am looking for a excuse to blame someone else.

I had been riding for over 40 years before I took my first class, I was grandfathered in on my motorcycle endorsement and had never taken a test or class for it. My wife and family were always against my riding and it was my wife that signed me up for my first class. I was pissed but went anyway to appease her. I went into the class with a bad attitude, cocky if you will, after all with all my experience what could these guys teach me? The instructors quickly recognized my attitude and they had me laying my scoot down in the very first exercise in front of about 40 other students. It was humbling to say the least. I could have got pissed and rode off into the sunset but I stuck it out and by the end of the class I began to realize I really didn't know squat about riding, even with my 40 years of experience.

That was back in 2010 and even now I take every advanced riding class I can find, even as an instructor. The more classes I take the more I realize how much more there is to learn.

Where am I going with all this? My wife, friends, and family all support my riding as they have seen my skills improve considerably. They know that when **** is going to hit the fan I am far better prepared for it than most. I am guessing that your family would feel the same way if you could show them how your own skills have improved.

Good Luck

14. Kyle.H

Kyle.H Member

none
    Not married anymore Happily Divorced enjoying that freedom and yes I am 37 and mainly the only part of the whole issue being exiled out is me and my niece and nephew are very close and I'm also The Godfather so trying to explain to them why I'm no longer in their life is what will be difficult so that's why I'm looking for actual advice I already know if I get the bike i know what's going to happen.

15. topcat

topcat Well-Known Member

2011 Kingpin
    If you do not live with your parents and are single just buy the freekin bike.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 3
    • Like Like x 1