VOG Forum banner

What's wrong with Texas?

1951 33
Hey All,
Catchy title, right? Here's the deal: I've thought about moving to Texas for work. I like to hunt/fish and live where there is an abundance of publicly available ground. I've heard that Texas has no federal forests, little state ground, and is only 2% public land. In other words, it's a deal breaker for me if I can't go hunt on public ground. FIshing, I've heard is good especially in the salt water.
I don't like the thought of having to pay to hunt whitetail on a high fence operation.

So for those of you that live in Texas and hunt/fish, what's your take? Am I way the heck off or close or spot on with regard to access? I would think that with 2% public land, it'd be crowded like a Walmart on black Friday.
21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Super Moderator
26,892 Posts
Watching some tv show a while ago there was a program that went into the problems with feral hogs in the southern States and the efforts to get rid of most. Judging by the reactions of farmers and ranchers I'd think many would welcome people to help reduce the numbers. Yes, no?
I've seen listings looking for people to come shoot hogs on their property. I've also seen listing from the hunter to come shoot hogs on others property.

·
Registered
778 Posts
Annual Property Taxes where I am North of Houston run about 2% of assessed value. That may be considered high for some. However, you get a lot more house and property for you $ here than in most other areas in the US near a large City. As mentioned before we have no State income tax, and other costs of living are lower. Car insurance and Homeowner insurance can be high if you are near the Coast or near er to a large metropolitan area.
Utilities are reasonable and Gasoline is cheaper here than in most states because we don't tax the hell out of it like most do.
It's a BIG State and a very diverse ecology, demographic and climate so do your research about what you want and where you want to live.

·
Super Moderator
26,892 Posts
Vvb, more info on the hog shooting please. Bucket list item for sure.
I don't have any places but I know I've seen listing for it. I know in some parts of Texas you can actually charter a helicopter and hunt them. Some ranchers hire teams like that to take out their hogs.

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
Watching some tv show a while ago there was a program that went into the problems with feral hogs in the southern States and the efforts to get rid of most. Judging by the reactions of farmers and ranchers I'd think many would welcome people to help reduce the numbers. Yes, no?
These things know how to take down a hog and East Texas has a sizeable population of them, but that is all relative. The ones in the Sam Houston National Forest and The Big Thicket seem to be a bit more irritable than some other places in Texas.

BFRO Report 8547: Hog hunter watches bigfoot kill hog in Sabine River bottoms.

·
Registered
778 Posts
We used to hunt hogs on my buddies ranch in Leakey at night with a spotlight , shotguns with 00 loads. The spotlight would confuse the hell out of them and they would freeze or run in circles. The 00 would put them down and then we finish them off with a pistol or rifle. He had 400 acres, we killed 34 in three nights. Loaded them up in the bucket on his backhoe and dumped them in the carcass pit. A few of them took three of us to lift into the bucket. Those hogs get huge! They were a cross between feral hogs and black boars out there and they were mean. Between the hogs and the damn Aoudads we got in a lot of target practice!

·
Lone Rider of the Apocolypse
6,687 Posts
Wow. That's a lot of Hogs. I have to ask... Are they not good to eat?

·
Lone Rider of the Apocolypse
6,687 Posts
@VicVisionBulldog That is what I thought. Shame that, that is a lot of meat. I have had wild Boar and I loved it, but I imagine it was a different breed or whatever.

Reactions: VicVisionBulldog

·
Registered
778 Posts
The real young ones have edible meat.
The hogs out there are supposed to be cross between feral hogs and Black Russian boars. We tried meat from a young one and it was still gamey.
He’s a contractor and his hands would take some but we weren’t going to dress them, they stink. They really tore up the high fences even the bull wire! Then they knocked over the feeders
The bigger ones were mean if cornered. None of the processors would accept wild hog meat around there.

Reactions: Ghostrider25

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
I was going to say "the Houston Cheatstros"

21 - 34 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.