VOG Forum banner

What's the real story behind Lloyd'z?

11K views 109 replies 33 participants last post by  navycraig 

Sounds like people bought Lloyd's stuff and installed it themselves and f**ked it up.
My friend and I dropped dropped our bikes off at Lloydz. We both got exactly the same thing done, except I had my heads ported and he didn't. Both bikes were completed, ridden 100 miles or so, then dyno tuned by Lloyd & Adam.
I have ridden the bike over 10K miles since the motor was done. I have drag raced it on NUMEROUS occasions. It is 100% reliable and runs like a swiss watch, my friend's is the same.My bike AVERAGES 45 mpg and makes almost 120 HP. I was NUMBER 1 qualifier at the American drag races in 2009 in the bagger class. Lloydz-built bikes DOMINATE those events.
I have raced with the Lloydz crew on 3 occasions and my bike is featuredon their speedfreaks page. I am taking it back to Lloydz for a re-tune after I change the pipes, install his new tubular intake, and bump the rev limiter to 6700 RPM. I'm looking for 128 HP out of my 104 inch motor.
I know a dozen people who have had Lloyd do their engines. I have NEVER heard anyone complain and a few of those people are on their 2nd and 3rd Lloydz motor build because they own2 or 3 Victory motorcycles. Lloyd gets tons of return customers who keep coming back time after time, because he truly is the guru of all things Victory.
Loydz-built bikes hold Bonneville speed records and many drag racing trophies... this is no accident, dude. Look at the dyno graphs on the Lloydz website. He gets 132 horsepower out of a 104" motor with little .495 cams in it. It runs just fine on 92 octane pump gas. That is unreal!
Believe what you want. I have been wrenching and tuning motorcycles for 30+ years andNOBODY puts a wrench on my bike except ME and LLOYD GREER.

Trekwolf164 said:
I just can't see buying a brand new motor and removing parts that have not had a chance to fail. Just my opinion
Buddy... Without touching the internals of the motor or changing the stock rev limiter, Lloyd can give your Vision 111 HP and 111TQ for $1800.00 Installed,and tunedincluding all parts & labor. Why wait?
Mufflers, Airbox, Fuel Controller, and Vision cams. You ever ride a bike that makes 100 Ft/lbs of torque and building before 2200 RPM? Let me tell ya, there's nothing like it. Load the bike with gear, put a passenger on the back, head up a mountain... the bike won't bat an eye.

Trekwolf164 said:
I have over 10000 miles on my bike my SO and I are not small people I have no issues climbing mountains or passing tractor trailers.
So you would have no use for better performance, even if the fuel economy stayed the same? What's that, 26 more HP? Downshift? What the hell for?
I was just thinking the other day that if my bike just made 26 less horsepower I would be truly happy with it.

redpin04 said:
I know people that love Lloyd and people that haven't had service up to snuff from him either.
Having been the service manager at a couple of large bike dealerships and having run my own business for a few years, I can assure you that there are always people who are impossible to please. Some people complain if their ice cream melts into their cake, when it's their fault for letting the plate sit so long.

mjw930 said:
However, what Lloyd offers right now is only about half of what I think is the optimal setup and I don't see anyone on the horizon working on the last two pieces to my puzzle, the head porting and a proper reprogram of the ECM. I'll forgo the ported heads but I'm really not into the piggyback fuelers, they are recipes for disaster, I've seen the results first hand. Besides, they don't allow you to extend the rev limiter so you are leaving a lot on the table.
Lloydz offers head porting in several stages with any combination of valve sizes you want. He did my heads. The new PC-5 Power Commander is out now. It does the fuel table and has ignition timing control and incremental rev limit settings as well. Adam (of Lloydz)had one on his new race bike at the last event we were at together. Piggy-back controllers are great if you get a good one and you know how to tune it. I have the PC-III on my bike. It was installed and tuned by Lloyd and I have no complaints.
Extending the rev limiter is only an advantage if your motor is still building power beyond the stock rev limit. A set-up thatmakes power in those highRPM ranges in most cases will kill off low end torque, which is totally counterproductive on a cruiser/tourer. This is why I am such a fan of Lloyd, he knows how to make torque AND horsepower without sacrificing one for the other. He understabds that "mild is wild".
My heads received a bowl blendingandgeneral port clean-up, along with a multi angle valve job, and swirl polishing of the valves. MAJOR increases in HP without sacrificing any torque... in fact torque is better all the way across the tach.
This is before and after:

As you can see, all gains/no losses. Now, Keep in mind that my pipes SUCK and I was told up front that my numbers would reflect that. I can bring up the low end torque to a flatter curve and increase HP as well with a good 2-1 exhaust.
Also notice that the stock 5800 RPM rev limiter is retained. My best 1/4 mile times are when shifting at 5600 RPM... The way the motor is tuned now, increasing the rev limit would get me absulutely nothing.

Clubford00 said:
If someone wants to spend the money on a cruiser thats their decision but i dont understand why someone would want to take a smooth riding comfortable bike and hop it up. Performance is nice but performance also makes things wear out sooner. Speed costs in more ways than one.
You can see above the kind of performance I am enjoying. Now let me say this...
If you rode my bike normally, in traffic, on the highway, around town... You would never know anything was done to it. It rides and runs just like a stock Kingpin would. It is not the least bit high-strung and as long as you don't open up the throttle you would have no idea anything was done to it. The comfort of the bike is in no way affected. It still averages 45 MPG no matter how I ride it.
I really don't see a downside...

bikendad said:
The downside "could" be shortened engine life. This may or may not be a consideration for some people here but anytime you add power you usually give up some durability.
Remember the 'mild is wild' comment? If you keep things mild (this is a low RPM very mild engine) there is no reason to think it won't run 100,000 miles, and I'll want a new bike before then.
If I decide to keep this bike, andthe engine shows wear (which it would ANYWAY), I'll rebuild it as a 110" or a 116". They make motors every day... I want the bike to be the best it can be. It's not about racing (although that's fun and all) it's about how effortlessly the motorcycle moves. I ride this bike on 6-9 day vacations and I want to do those trips on an 11 second bagger that handles great and is all day comfortable.I have what I wanted in spades. I can ride with Goldwings,DL 1000s, C 109/M109s, VTX 1800Fs, Yamaha Roadliners/Raiders... I am NEVERoutgunned.
I'm not trying to convince anyone, and if a guy is happy with the stock bike, more power to him. This thread was the question of Lloydz Motorworks being good or not. From my experience, they are more than good. I love Adam and Lloydie like they were my little brothers. They do, however, have to work withinreality. They will give you the absolute best compromise of drivability/longevity/performance that you will get on your Victory motorcycle without fail...If you let them do their thing and listen to their advice.
I walked in WANTING a certain package. Lloyd asked me a few questions and told me what I NEEDED. I said "fine". No regrets here. I got WAY more than I expected.

Sutherland said:
HC
I guess this topic has rubbed you the wrong way.
What makes you think I'm rubbed the wrong way? I answered a question about the shop that built my motor.
The conversation got onto the topic of the 'why' of performance and I offered my opinion on the subject.I have certain insight on this topic, being a gearhead, torque junkie, lifelong racer, and ex-Tech/Service Manager. I have spent good money andthrown away money in the search for performance. Lots of good lessons learned, some the hard way.
When I get rubbed the wrong way, you'll know.

Sutherland said:
Not sureif this comment at end is ment as threator not, but if it is I am not worried about you or anyone else
Regards
Would you please lighten up? I have given no indication that I am angry with anyone, norhave Ithreatened anyone. Jeeps and a Chrysler...
This is called a discussion. We are all (I hope) adults here and should be able to havesomebanter back and forth aboutmotorcycles without anyone getting their undies all wrapped around the axle. We may not agree with each other's point of view, but weshould still be able to appreciate each other's position.
Or maybe not...

satxron said:
11.96 1/4 mile time.
In today's technology over 11.00 is the turtle races. Stock 1200 Sportsters are high 12s I think.
1) Sportsters are 125 lbs lighter than a Kingpin with hardbags. My bike went 12.77 when I bought it.
2) Few baggers with a race weight of 960 lbs with rider run 11s. The 11.96 was in the 100 degree heat with 90+% humidity, not exactly ideal conditions.
3) There is a big difference betweenyour wants/needsand mine. Does that make my wants/needs wrong?
4) I don't even pretend that 11s are fast in comparison to Gixxers and Busas, but you must admit that in the bagger class, that's quick, and my plaque for fastest qualifier is a testament to that.
5) What does your bagger run?
When I bought this bike it went 12.77. Soon it will go 11.70s. I know a second doesn't sound like much but a second is an eternity in drag racing, and the 1/4 mileisonly a small part of riding a motorcycle. For a cruiser/bagger to run 11s on 92 octane fuel, get 45 MPG,be as docile as stock in traffic, make low end grunt like a locomotive, and retain allits creature comfortsis one hell of an achievement. It's my money, it's my bike, and it's what I want. I don't know why peoplehave to be such Negative Nancysabout it.If improving the performance of a cruiser is not your thing, then don't do it.
If you do want to improve the performance of your Victory cruiser, the smart money is spent at Lloydz Motorworks. No one gets better results than Lloyd. That's the truth.

satxron said:
What about "I respect that but maintain there is absolutely no (need) to do it" did you see as a challenge?
No part of it. Did I appear challenged?

satxron said:
My bagger runs just fine the way it is. My 27 year old V-65 bone stock makes your bike look like it has a broken leg at 11.2. They were 10.7 with pro riders. I can't achieve that.
What's yourpoint? That you can compare apples and oranges? That's quite a talent. You are aware, of course, that a good 600cc sportbike will make yourV-65 look like it has a broken leg?

satxron said:
Somehow you think we are inadequate if we can't go as fast as you. I find that kinda strange.
Ouch... My jaw is sore from you SHOVING WORDS IN MY MOUTH.I think your feelings of inadequacy are yours alone, I had nothing to do with it. I never said or even inferred any such thing.

satxron said:
But, there are some that like to push the motors they have to the max as a hobby. That is fine.
If I wanted to push my motor to the max it would be making 160 horsepower. Maybe you should read my posts more slowly. I have said more than once that it's not all about horsepower.
satxron said:
I don't need more power on my bagger. I will not spend 2 grand for a second in time in the 1/4 mile on my bagger ever.
Good for you. I hope that keeps you happy.Are we done now?This thread is not a contest over who has the biggest penis, is it?

Andy said:
Personally, since you can barely fill a thimble with my knowledge of the internal combustion engine, I can only hope that some who are better versed in this area will chime-in and share their knowledge on this subject.
Since it seems to have come down to personal preference... stock or modified...and there seems to be no technical sticking point in contention, I fail to see what anyone's technical knowledgewill be able to clear up for you, Andy.

Sutherland said:
I beleive this was the topic we started with, most of the comments made so far are not even related to this
There were posts addressing that very question.
Let me make this easy: WHATEVER YOU DO, DON'T LET LLOYDZ TOUCH YOUR MOTOR, SAVE THELLOYDZ-BUILT ENGINES FOR PEOPLE WHO WILL APPRECIATE THEM.

satxron said:
I don't know why engineers would not push the motor to its very limit of perfection and performance. There must be a down side.
There is this little Federal agency called the EPA. Motorcycles sold in the United States have to meet very strict exhaust emissions and noise standards. This severely limits what the engineers at Victory can do. They WISH they could make the bikes as powerful as they could while retainingreliability, because these thingswould easily make 1 HP/cubic inch. This is also why the new 96" Harley motors only make 63 HP.That's all that dinosaur will make in emissions legal tune, and the thing runs so hot it's about to melt down... to the point of having the computer shut off the rear cylinder at idle. Did Harley engineer it this way because it was the best engineering they could come up with?Did theengineers atHD say to each other "Let's shoot for 63 horsepower"?Hardly.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.