VOG Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I accidentally hit my exhaust pipe right behind my rear head with a soft "finishing" towel and it stuck right to it quick, pulled right off but left a little mess, I have tried "Goo Gone" with a lot of scrubbing got a little, very little of it off. So was just wondering if anybody knows a better easier way to get it off without damaging the chrome. Thanks

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
I did the same thing... But on my blacked out rear header pipe. I am wondering if it just needs to melt up over time.

WW

·
Registered
8,075 Posts
ICE ... As in H2O frozen.....

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Good ideas guys.

Obviously ice won't hurt the black powered coating.. I wonder if oven cleaner and/or the steel wool would damage the finish...

·
Registered
17,745 Posts
I've had great results using nothing but time.
Eventually it will come off on its own.

·
Registered
8,075 Posts
I used the ice trick with my Harley when plastic shopping bag sorta kinda hit it as I was lifting it from the saddle bag to the ground after a shopping trip, apparently, heat then cold works wonders.....

·
Registered
6,181 Posts
If you visit your local HD dealer you will find products meant to remove boot heel marks from their exhausts. The exhausts on late model Electra Glides and Road Glides are just begging you to make contact every time you ride.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Oldman47 is right. I had melted rainpants leg on pipes a few years back. I tried everything under the sun. There is only one thing in a HD dealership that I find of value - their boot heal remover.

·
Registered
8,075 Posts
Oldman47 is right. I had melted rainpants leg on pipes a few years back. I tried everything under the sun. There is only one thing in a HD dealership that I find of value - their boot heal remover.
Are you saying that the ICE trick did not remove it for you, wow is all I can say, and a lot cheaper than the HD stuff I bet.....

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
Warm it up and use EZ OFF oven cleaner. Be sparing with it and use a damp cotton cloth. The synthetics are nice, but cotton don;t stick to hot.

Follow up with some chrome polish after cooled down again.

I figured out my rain pants weren't heat resistant on a friends CVO one day. Told him I didn't want to ride it, because I might break his expensive motor siccle. He never knew. LOL

·
Registered
594 Posts
3M Adhesive Remover. Its designed to take a lot more than just adhesive off and should take all the work out of it. I know its safe for painted surfaces so should be fine on the chrome.

Reactions: normthenomad

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
When I wax my bike I also wax all the chrome as well. I have had a towel leave a mark when the pipes are hot, but when the exhaust cools down the marks wipe right off. If a mark is hard to wipe off I grab the wax and put a dab on the mark and it wipes right off.

I use Liquid Glass on the paint and the chrome as well as the rims.

Liquid Glass will not discolor on chrome when the chrome gets hot so it is safe on heat shields covering the exhaust. My bike is two years old this month from the build date and I have owned it for one year ten months. My chrome looks like new on the bike no rust any where. Any spots or marks are always easy to clean off.

·
Registered
637 Posts
I have used Kroil and SilKroil . It is very thin and penetrates and lifts the plastic. Works well on carbon residue on firearms, which is why I originally purchased it. $54 a gallon so it's not cheap but I still have most of the gallon after several years of use. A little goes along way. It lifted melted micro fiber towel residue , I let it sit over night and wiped it off the next morning.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Real simple solution, heat up the bike take a white terry cloth towel soak it in cold water and ball it up so you have a lot of layers between your hand and the pipe. wipe the pipe down.turning the towel as you wipe. Re wet the towel often so you do not burn yourself (wear gloves). Keep doing this till it's off; Works every time..

·
Registered
179 Posts
I accidentally hit my exhaust pipe right behind my rear head with a soft "finishing" towel and it stuck right to it quick, pulled right off but left a little mess, I have tried "Goo Gone" with a lot of scrubbing got a little, very little of it off. So was just wondering if anybody knows a better easier way to get it off without damaging the chrome. Thanks
Easy Off oven cleaner!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.