VOG Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I can't seem to find information on the front and rear pulley sizes - no. of teeth on each - can someone help?
Unlike all you American guys who overdrive for highway speeds, I want to gear mine down one tooth on front - I'm continually downshifting for hills or crests as our speed limit is lower - 62 mph and cops are tough. I use 5th more than 6th when cruising in our hilly country so I figure if I gear it down I will be able to hold 6th more andalso use 2nd in low speed turns rather than 1st,should have even better acceralation as well.
Can I go one tooth down on front without shortening the life of the belt due to the smaller raduis?

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
I am wondering if the 92ci 5 speed stock sprocket would work since lots of guys put OD sprockets on them to get higher gearing. I would suggest sending an email to KevinX.

·
Registered
7,141 Posts

What are your legal hiway speeds in New Zealand?
Country Roads?
Secondary Hiways?
Main Hiways?
Express Hiways?
I myself only use 6th gear on our expressways where the legal speed posted is 100 kms or 62 miles/hr. or when I can keep the revs above 2,200 rpm. On these hiways we normally travell with the speed of traffic flow 100 to 140 kms/hr.
Our country roads where limits are posted at 80 km,we can cruise at around the 90 limit without much trouble from the law or as longas we are keeping up with the flow.
Even at a constant 90 to 95 km in 5th on these road even if level I do not use 6th. When I first got the bike I use to use 6th on these roads, the motor never sounded like it was labouring and could increase speed without downshifting. I did notice that by keeping it in a cruising range of 2,200 to 3,000 rpm (Sweet Spot) in fifth I got way better fuel milage.
As with the 8 Ballline, the gear ratios are still the same in all models, exept for 6th gear which is called a true overdrive.
My point is, just because you have a 6th gear, it is not a gear that youalways have to use in order to keep the revs down.
Ride Safe:OT
PS: Do you ride during your winters?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.