VOG Forum banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
2,643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im on my second vic now but the first one didnt last long as a car desided to stop me as I drove out of town.
My new er 09 pin has sweep exaust big air and chip.I really don't ride fast often but once in a while I do like to take it up there.I have been a bit tentative to lay full in on the throttle as I have just crossed the 1000 klm or 600 mile mark on the bike.
I have pushed a bit a couple times but find it strugling at speeds in and around 100miles an hr or 160 klm per hr.
I have not as yet gone further .
This speed seems a bit low for the type of hp and handling this bike seems to have . Can you give me some ideas on max speeds and abilities of this machine.
pop

·
Registered
23,463 Posts

The bike will easily break 100 MPH in 4th gear.
Do you have a windshield and lowers the size of a barn door? What gear are you doing this in? Wind resistance meets weight meets horsepowerand finds the limits of top speed very quickly. Bike weighs inexcess of 700 lbs... add your weight... now figure it makes what, 78 HP?Without a windshield if it would do 120 mph you should feel extremely lucky. With a windshield maybe 110-ish on a good day?

·
Registered
2,923 Posts

I have windsheild and lower's, I have had my KP up to 185 KMS in sixth gear, about 114 miles per hour, I know there was more in her but road was running out.
With our new laws up here it is unlikely we will get too many chances to try an exceed this anymore.
Regards

·
Registered
2,643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Now I have a bit of an idea what to expect from my ride. Thanks for the notes.
I guess having rode several other bikes and enjoyed most I guess I was expecting a wee bit more with the stage 1 kit.
NOw I guess I have some new concerns and they are rated hp . Victory says about 80 to 85 or at least thats what I have been lead to believe. Then add stage 1 and should give 10 to 15% boost I would think.
I ride with a couple fellas that ride suzuki intruders (1500) they are both capable of about 190 plus minus as I have rode them there once trailed by a car for reference to speed. Im not sure now why a 62 hp bike rides to 115 120 mph with full sheild and lowers but kingpin at least in my case has to struggle .Just an honest question here .
The hanging on to the susi is a much greater task than the pin!
help me out here folks any opinions?
poptop

·
Registered
40 Posts

I just did a few rough sum's and i think that if you take the revs up to 5700 the max mu 8-ball Manual states you could be doing 133Mph or 215 kph.
100 mph in 5th would be 5288 rpm.
I was just playing with gear ratios and tire sizes in excel, different back tire and the result would be diffferent.
I do stand to be corrrected, please post if I wrong so i can change the spreadsheet
Neil

·
Registered
2,923 Posts

Man forget what everyone tells you there bike can do, forget all the sum's yo work out, forget the manual stating 133 or what ever, and a 100 miles per hour in fifth gearis nothing on these bikes. The only true way too find out your top speed is to go with what a GPS tells you, which I have done when I did 185 KMS.
People will tell you they do XXX miles per hour, remember the speedo is not aways correct
Regards

·
Registered
3,229 Posts

Speedos on Jap bikes are notoriously optimistic. Most read around 10% high when I compare to actual wheel speed on a dyno
On the closed loop bikes[steel frame]the limiter kicks in @ 103MPH in 5th gear, but 105 in 4th. 5th is limited to 5200rpm
Real wheel HP is 74 on a stock 100" bike, and around 80HP with all S1 kits except the Swept pipes. Swept is lucky to pull off 76HP

·
Registered
2,643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I think my dealer may have misrepresented his product to me than . Not that I am not reasonably happy with the performance but yes a bit disapointed in the representation. That and Im not a gear head so I simply took the info on the proformance pipes as the truth . (one of the best choices for hp boost with stage one)
thanks for the honesty folks . wish there was more of it out there!!!If you know what I mean.
poptop

·
Registered
23,463 Posts

poptop said:
Victory says about 80 to 85 or at least thats what I have been lead to believe. Then add stage 1 and should give 10 to 15% boost I would think.
Victory (any manufacturer) list their claimed power AT THE CRANKSHAFT. We are talking about REAR WHEEL POWER. Crankshaft power meansnothing.
You will nevergain 15% with a stage 1. More like 7%if you have good pipes.

Stage 1 with swept pipes..... Rear wheel power....

Stock 2008 Kingpin. As you can see, those pipes don't do much...

·
Registered
4,500 Posts
Maybe it's just me and my old age. Top speed does nothing for me. It's more about 1/4 type speedor 0 to 50 that gets me going. If you want more top end speed, change the gear ratio.

·
Registered
2,643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I guess at this point this nieve old fart has lost respect for the honesty of the marketer . Ya dumb as it sounds I did hold this Victory team to a standard when I bought the new bike , a standard I at the time felt they were up to .
But if what Im hearing is correct weather speed or any of that is important to any of us the real deal is misrepresentation . I did want a true American moter cycle . I guess I got that along with the exageration of both manufacturer and sales team.
I guess what this does is remove some of that partnership with my bike that a rider develops . Thanks Victory!!!
pop

·
Registered
158 Posts
I knew more about the bike than the salesman did...
But the real liars was the HD dealership... and I kid you not 14months later, they still have the bike, they could have sold it on the spot - ....and they will have it a lot longer.

·
Registered
133 Posts
The top speed on mine is 75 (the speed limit on the freeway). Plus, I would probably fly off if I were to go any faster. Plus with only 5 gears, I like to keep it around 65, but i do like to get there as quick as possible.

·
Registered
423 Posts
A high top speed will only get you in trouble. So what if it doesn't go much over a hundred. How often are you going to do that anyway. I used to own a Concours 14 with a real top speed of 160 according to Cycle World. It was a nice bike and fun to ride, but I had trouble holding it back so I got rid of it. I have just as much fun on my Hammer and I don't have to break the speed limit too often. The Hammer is more comfortable too.

·
Registered
1,538 Posts

Hey, I got readings (GPS) just in excess of 110 mph from my Stage 1, 100" unit.
I have Ness Flybars fitted, so sit up just a littleand I don't think that I need any more speed as it's the sheer pleasure of riding it that does it for me.
One thing to remember when increasing speed is that the absorbed power from the engine goes up by the power, cube rule, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Power_law
So.......
To cut through all the maths and technical stuff, this means that each time you double the speed the required power goes up by 3 times then double again and its 3 X 3 (ie 9 times) then 3 X 3 X 3 (ie 27 times) and so on........
So by the time you reach 16 times the firstspeed,3 X 3 X 3 X 3you need 81 times the power it wasusing at that timeand it just getsworse and worse.

It's all to do with logarithms and that sort of stuff.
So when you are travelling at high speeds it will take an enormous amount of extrapower to make a little difference in any increase of speed. Producing a more slippery profile for the air will work so much better.
But with the torque, that's another thing and it's why our bikes are so, so good when pulling off the line.
I hope this helps a little.
Paul.

·
Registered
44 Posts
if speed is what your after why not buy a slightly used crotch rocket soooo much cheaper and easier you can get a gxr1000 for about 6 or 7k and have all the speed you want no fuss

·
Registered
2,643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks agian for all the great tips !! I apreciate all of them .
My need for speed is not a nessesity and my quest was more for info on such . I recieved great info from all.
I do ride my sons 600cbr honda for a blast once in a while so that point is well taken.
I do as many others have pointed out love that burst from 0 to 100klms or hole shot . Great buzz!!
Paul your info on power was extremly interesting as was the torque and hp info Half Crazy provided.
Just a note here today we are in a bit of a snow storm and well as I look out the window dreaming of a spin on my pin , im affiad thats excatly what it would be a spin not a nice one in 0 degree weather.Have a good one folks and dont go to fast!
poptop

·
Registered
234 Posts
Something is wrong with your Vic, if you are struggling to get to up to 100 MPH.

I have had my 04 92' up to 110 MPH 2 up, with zero problems. She could have easily pulled more if I had the mind to do it. I have the Victory factory deluxe shield and lowers. My 04 actually runs better at 100 than 70.

My bud has an 06 Vegas and we have been up to 110=115 MPH racing from red light to red light. At no time were the motors struggling at all! Both of our motors are stock with performance pipes (mine are modified slip ons, he is running drags) and we both have S&S breathers and maps.

However, the only time I have been running at a sustained 110 MPH (obver two miles), was with the stage one only. She had plenty more juice, and at no time has she been north of 5000 RPMs in top gear.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.