VOG Forum banner

what is a good throaty exhaust and more.

2754 Views 23 Replies 17 Participants Last post by  primethious
what is a good throaty exhaust that wont break the bank and is kinda easy to do yourself i don't want to spend a ton of money are slips on the way to go or should i go from the heads back and if i replace from the heads back do i need to do anything else. also thinking about dropping in a timing wheel any recommendation also what would i be looking at for labor if i have a shop do it. also has anyone after doing these kind of mods drove threw the mountains or in areas of the country that have hi humidity like Nebraska where we are in the 80 to 90 percent humidity during the summer. does your motorcycle bog down at all.
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

· Registered
1,724 Posts
slip ons are fine.
Search the forum for rajin cajin a member hear that modifies the factory mufflers.

What are you riding??

Your profile says you're not riding anything.

· Premium Member
14,558 Posts
I have RAGIN CAJUN DDT's...love them both for sound and performance. PM @crosscountryla and tell him what you want....he's ONLY one that guarantees his product for sound you want...he'll redo for FREE. He listened to me and I couldn't be happier. Tell Dave Dean says HI

· Registered
9,716 Posts
what is a good throaty exhaust that wont break the bank and is kinda easy to do yourself i don't want to spend a ton of money are slips on the way to go or should i go from the heads back and if i replace from the heads back do i need to do anything else. also thinking about dropping in a timing wheel any recommendation also what would i be looking at for labor if i have a shop do it. also has anyone after doing these kind of mods drove threw the mountains or in areas of the country that have hi humidity like Nebraska where we are in the 80 to 90 percent humidity during the summer. does your motorcycle bog down at all.

· Registered
5,651 Posts
Another vote for Ragin Cajun DDTs. The rumble shakes your chest and the torque will pull your arms out of their sockets. Cost me less than $200, out the door.

· Registered
1,539 Posts
Know I'm a rare one in the Victory Crowd but I'm a Fan of Freedom Performance True Duals and will probably do it again after such Great Results I had with my 2012 XC .. To my Ears the Best Sound you can do on a Victory as well as eliminate the CAT and 100% US Made Quality as proved with 4 1/2 Years and 80,000 Miles and they still Looked Near New .. While might lose just a Tad of Low End Torque , is only Noticeable on the Dyno Sheet .. To the Seat of the Pants Dyno just hearing the Sound totally eliminates what little bit of torque Lost .. Can get the complete Exhaust System for $899 shipped to my door and some slip ons are $500+ anyway and this Ride is 9 Years Old anyhow so paying 900 once should not have to worry about Exhaust Problems for a long time to come .. Maybe even longer than i have riding days Left .. Picture of Dyno and Bike the day before Trading it in at 4 1/2 Years Old and 80,000 Miles ..

Handwriting Font Rectangle Line Red
Tire Wheel Fuel tank Plant Automotive fuel system

· Registered
5,651 Posts
Not a fan of True Duals. The company, not the pipes. I had some on my Yamaha. A mount kept breaking every 8,000 miles. Design flaw. Nothing they could do about it except keep selling me mounts. I sold the bike.

Reactions: crosscountryla

· Registered
9,716 Posts
I bought all of the aftermarket exhaust systems trying to find an exhaust sound that I liked that sounded similar to the mufflers on my 2002, Dyna low Rider that I sold. For my ears, the Freedom Performance, True Duals had the best exhaust sound out of all of the many different exhaust systems that I had installed on my XCT. They sounded so good that I didn't even want to listen to the radio playing, but only wanted to hear the deep throaty rumble of the Freedom true duals. That was until I install a PCV and Lloyd's air filter. With more fuel added and more air too into the engine, the exhaust sound then became way too throaty and deep sounding for any long rides on the highway for my ears. I ended up selling them for a $250 loss. When I installed my stock head pipes and installed a set of Big Honker mufflers too, the first thing that I noticed was how much faster my engines gained rpm's from a stop when compared to the smaller head pipes on the Freedom True duals.

· Registered
5,651 Posts
I bought all of the aftermarket exhaust systems trying to find an exhaust sound that I liked that sounded similar to the mufflers on my 2002, Dyna low Rider that I sold. For my ears, the Freedom Performance, True Duals had the best exhaust sound out of all of the many different exhaust systems that I had installed on my XCT. They sounded so good that I didn't even want to listen to the radio playing, but only wanted to hear the deep throaty rumble of the Freedom true duals. That was until I install a PCV and Lloyd's air filter. With more fuel added and more air too into the engine, the exhaust sound then became way too throaty and deep sounding for any long rides on the highway for my ears. I ended up selling them for a $250 loss. When I installed my stock head pipes and installed a set of Big Honker mufflers too, the first thing that I noticed was how much faster my engines gained rpm's from a stop when compared to the smaller head pipes on the Freedom True duals.
Your DDTs are a testament of what just changing slip ons can do for performance. My XCT is running Bassani Quick Change slip ons. My tuner recommended them because he did the testing for Bassani for this pipe for this particular bike. I have to admit the performance change was so significant I thought I was making it up. I switched back to stock and got confirmation. Then I switched from The Bassani to your DDTs. The bike almost pulled my arms out of their sockets! Unfortunately, the DDTs were a little too loud for couples riding. The headsets kept picking up the exhaust and we found ourselves yelling to be heard. So the DDTs moved to my "Me Only" bike and the Bassani returned to my Touring bike. Best of both worlds.

Reactions: Chattanooga_Mark

· Registered
146 Posts
Does anyone have experiences with the Thrush mod? I was considering it but everyone seems to use a different model number.

· Registered
1,652 Posts
If you want a nice sounding set of slip on mufflers that were designed to provide torque then look at D&D mufflers, I had a set of D&D slip ons on my 2013 Cross Country Tour. D&D designed the mufflers using a dyno so they could tune them for low end torque. I was very happy with the D&D slip on mufflers on the Cross Country Tour.

The nice thing about the sound of the D&D is they are very nice sounding without creating any drone and are not bothersome while riding.

I had a set of Vance & Hines Monster Rounds on my Harley Davidson Ultra Limited along with a set of Vance & Hines Power duel headers, the Monster Rounds were a nice deep sound and were not bad while riding with no drone.

I also had a set of Rinehart slip on mufflers for the Harley and while they sounded nice they were louder, the did not drone at all but they were just a little to loud and after a while you would just get tired of them. The Rinehart was a very good quality muffler.

I still have the Vance & Hines Monster Rounds that make such a deep sound.

I like my stock Yamaha exhaust because it is not annoying while riding and it makes a nice deep sound, Yamaha tuned the exhaust sound with Yamaha music division in a dyno cell to get the exhaust note just the way they wanted it.

· Registered
262 Posts
The previous owner to my 15' XCT installed Arlen Ness big honker slip ons. They have a nice low rumble at Idle and on acceleration they can be heard from a distance, they have a nice sound while at cruising speed as well. At least that is what I have been told.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.