What Happened to all the Avon Cobre Chrome 180/60/R16 Tires? | Page 3 | Victory Motorcycles: Motorcycle Forums

What Happened to all the Avon Cobre Chrome 180/60/R16 Tires?

Discussion in 'Victory General Discussion' started by Richie271, Sep 13, 2021.

1. jmstang302

jmstang302 Well-Known Member

Type of Motorcycle Currently Riding:
    2009 Vegas 2008 VISION 2013 XC. 13 Vegas 8 Ball
    That's not even an Avon CC. Looks to be an E4?

This is you isn't it? Lol

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. Barry_Barker

Barry_Barker Active Member

2012 Victory XR
    I wish!!! Those guys can ride!!
    It is an E4. Longest lasting tire I can find. The Chrome rear tires I'm lucky to 3500 miles out of one, makes it hard to enjoy a trip.
    Funny thing, I run the Chrome front tire, love the feed back and they last. 9 to 10,000 miles on the front.

3. jmstang302

jmstang302 Well-Known Member

2009 Vegas 2008 VISION 2013 XC. 13 Vegas 8 Ball
    H or Z rated?

I replaced an H rated at 18k

4. Barry_Barker

2012 Victory XR
    H rated.

5. md2420

md2420 Well-Known Member

2014 Vision
    @Barry_Barker are you riding around on cheese graters? Wow! That seems very low mileage to be going through tires like that.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. IndyVictory

IndyVictory Well-Known Member

2012 Victory Cross Country Tour
    I did not write anything but I think anyone determined to get the cover off comes to the same conclusion. :)

7. 1stVictory

1stVictory Well-Known Member

2012 Pearl White CC Tour
    How to install one:

• Winner Winner x 1
  8. Barry_Barker

2012 Victory XR
    I have an uncanny knack for picking the curviest, hilliest, most exciting roads available, avoid the highway or freeway at all costs. Additionally, My wife loves riding, so we push along at a pretty good clip. This last ride included the towns of Santa Fe, Taos, Mora, Angel Fire, Red River in New Mexico, and Cuchara, Evergreen, Estes Park, Grand Lake, Steamboat Springs, Minturn, Lake City, Creede in Colorado. These roads are tough on tires. Texas and Arkansas are also tough on tires, my other favorite states to ride in. Trust me, my riding buddies go through tires just as fast as I do. I want a longer lasting tire, it just isn't made yet.

• Like Like x 3
    • Informative Informative x 1
  9. tidefan86

tidefan86 New Member

2017 Magnum X-1
    Ives tried Dyna Beads and they are ok. They were a pain to insert and had to be “renewed” at every tire change so I tried Centramatic Wheel Balancers and WOW, what a difference. Truckers have used them for years to extend tire life. Installed them when I put a new set of Cobra Chromes on my Magnum — about 14k miles ago. Tires are still in great shape and the ride is noticeably better. Highly recommended!!

Wheel Balancer MV100-106 from Centramatic

• Like Like x 1
  10. md2420

md2420 Well-Known Member

2014 Vision
    how much more tire life do you expect you are getting?

11. Chattanooga_Mark

Chattanooga_Mark Well-Known Member

2012 CCT, Wonderful in white
    I hadn’t seen this video before and thoroughly enjoyed watching it. A lot of steps and attention to detail for sure. But this seems like a fairly good owner installation kind of kit. It sure seems easier than installing a big bore kit.

Is Lloyd out of the Victory Super Charger market now? No mention of his kit at lloyds.com or lloydsgarage.com.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2021
  12. tidefan86

tidefan86 New Member

2017 Magnum X-1
    Well, I’ve run the E3 that came on the bike & replaced both at about 10k with Michelin Commanders. I liked them less than E3s so I replaced them (with 4k on them) with the Cobra Chromes. Love the tire - wet & dry performance & handling are both outstanding - and I’ve got about 14k on the Avon’s now with the Centramatics installed, and based on a measurement when installed vs now they’re about halfway to the wear indicators.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  13. Richie271

Richie271 Active Member

2010 Victory Cross Roads
    jmstang302, you were 100% correct. I forgot to make the entry into my service and maintenance log. It was a little over 15,000mi. witch from what I have read is not too bad. Again, that could be because I am riding a CrossRoads, (lighter bike).

I did the deed, replace the belt without removing the exhaust system. I did loosen some of the exhaust clamps to rotate them out of the way of the belt removal.

Removing the output sprocket cover and belt was much more difficult than installing them. The belt went on fairly quickly and the output cover went on so fast that I scared myself. I had the cover all taped up to prevent scratches and started to move it into position. All of a sudden, clunk it was home. It happened so fast that I thought for sure I did something wrong and screwed it up . I couldn't believe it was in place that easily. I sure didn't need the tape.

I got my rear wheel back from the local bike shop, with the new Avon Chrome tire on it late in the day and installed the new rear sprocket. Just before I put the tire in the garage for the night, I thought, "I never checked the bearings", so I did and oh ---- they were bad. Thank God I checked them before installing the wheel on the bike. Next morning I called the shop and he told me to bring the wheel in and he would take care of it. Then he asked if I had the bearings. No I did not and he didn't have them either. I ended up ordering them direct from All Balls and had them shipped over night next day. I had the bearings less than 24 hrs. later. I thought that was great. I called the shop and was told bring the wheel and bearings down and he would take care if it rite away. He called about 2hrs. later and told my to come and get my wheel/tire. I was delighted.

I installed the new rear wheel, adjusted the tension and alignment of the new belt, put everything back together and put the bike in it's garage shortly after dark.

The next day, I took a 102mi. ride and every thing seems good. I like having a round tire again.

You can see the difference between the old and new tires. The old tire stands up by itself. I had to put my torque wrench behind the old tire to keep it from rolling down the walkway.

IMG_2046.JPG IMG_2047.JPG IMG_2049.JPG IMG_2050.JPG IMG_2051.JPG IMG_2053.JPG

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  14. Davisjune

Davisjune New Member

Suzuki GSX-R750
    Thank you! I also had trouble finding this tire on amazon. I will follow your suggestion.