VOG Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to replace my front tire and was hoping I could get some suggestions for what you have chosen and liked. Maybe why too ?? I have been looking at the forum but can not seem to get that information (looking in all the wrong places, lol, lol) I am working with 130/70r/18. Thanks

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
I thought "All the wrong places" was a country song. :beatdeadhorse:

The threads are out there. I'm running Bridgestone Exedra front and back on a Kingpin.

What are you riding?

Reactions: mister-g

·
Registered
4,559 Posts
Ran 2 sets Dunlop E3 from when I bought the bike new, switched to Metzeler 888 3 times ( liked them), switched to 880 on front (hated it), on 1st set of Avon Cobra Chromes, and really loving them. I have to check but I think my rear has at least 10k on it now, maybe 8-9k on the front. I ran the rear air a bit on the low side and have some cupping but that's my fault. For all around grip, these are great. I think we need more tire threads.

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
Wow. RTFS Part II. Sorry, read the thread on a phone first time around. My bad.

Ugh, it's Monday, right?

·
Registered
2,960 Posts
had tried the bridgestone exedras last time around and they got the job done and didn't break the bank. this time i'm about 3500 mi's into the E-4'S and i'm loving them, total confidence inspiring tire for me. i hope they don't get noisy after 5000 mi's like the E3's did. they already get a bit loud on certain road surfaces but that could be because of all the echo chambers of the vision,lol

·
Registered
3,280 Posts
I’ve only had the E4s so can’t comment on any others....but haven’t had any problems whatsoever. They ride smooth, have good traction and I get really great mileage out of them.

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
I ran the E4's for a long time but find the Exedras better handling. The E4's lasted longer for sure but now that I can change my own tires I'll spend the same or less on tires except now I have brand new tires every year.

Kinda like every spring going to the dentist and having your teeth cleaned and then going out for a steak dinner. Freshly cleaned chompers gnawing on perfectly cooked steak!

• Haha
Reactions: Known1 and mister-g

·
Registered
233 Posts
E4’s front and rear... over 7500 on them and couldn’t be happier. No comparison to the E3’s.

·
Registered
6,373 Posts
I run a 160/60 Dunlop RoadSmart II MT rear tire upfront. It works perfectly and gets well over 32K miles. Yes, well over 32K miles. The larger contact patch is a wonderful thing.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
I run a 160/60 Dunlop RoadSmart II MT rear tire upfront. It works perfectly and gets well over 32K miles. Yes, well over 32K miles. The larger contact patch is a wonderful thing.
Also, I am riding Darkside rear tire, Bridgestone Dryguard - All Season - 195/55r/16. Wondering if running something like the 160/60/18 upfront would have an impact ? ? better or worse. How will impact steering and control ?? Sounds tempting to me. I am riding a large tire on the rear.

·
Super Moderator
26,123 Posts
Started with E3s but went to Metz 888s because I didn't like the E3s in the wet, especially toward the end of their life. The 888s are better in the wet and felt more "sporty" falling into corners with ease. When the E4s came out I tried them and currently have them on both bikes. They ride much like the 888s, IMHO. I had E4s on one and 888s on the other at one point and really couldn't tell went difference. I now go with whichever is cheapest at the time I need them.

·
Registered
4,228 Posts
Currently running 888s. I have never got more than 9,5k on a rear. Guess its WVs cheese grater roads. Had a set of Avons but the rear only made it 4,8k. Bike did feel like it's on a rail. Avon has a rebate now, going to buy a set of chromes and see how they long they last.

·
Registered
7,186 Posts
Avon Cobra Chrome, the Cobras are quick handling in the twisties and STICK. Superior in the wet and I get 1 front to 2 rears.

·
Registered
4,463 Posts
I've been running E4's since their release. I'm very happy with these tires and won't be trying anything else. They are far superior to the E3's, but for me they don't last any longer. I safely get 12,500 miles on a rear riding in MN, IA, WI, MI. I did push one rear to 14,000 miles, but won't be doing that again after seeing that used tire off the bike. I use ride-on in my tires instead of balancing weights and also do two rears to every one front.

·
Registered
4,841 Posts
Also, I am riding Darkside rear tire, Bridgestone Dryguard - All Season - 195/55r/16. Wondering if running something like the 160/60/18 upfront would have an impact ? ? better or worse. How will impact steering and control ?? Sounds tempting to me. I am riding a large tire on the rear.
I have on the front 160/60-18 on my Jack-Hammer (jackpot) you will need to install it backwards to get the groves right, as the 160 is a rear tire....

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
Shinko Radial on front of XC, 15,500kms, great grip wet or dry
Shinko bias on front(XC wheel) and rear of Vegas

·
Registered
17,938 Posts
Running Metzler 880 on the front and 888 on the back and may put an 888 on the front, but I am scared I won’t like the radial up front... But then again thee are those they swear by it.

·
Registered
12,827 Posts
Avon Cobra Chrome
E4 Dunlop
Spectro Golden 4

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.