What did you do to your Victory XC today? | Page 129 | Victory Motorcycles: Motorcycle Forums

What did you do to your Victory XC today?

Discussion in 'Victory Cross Country' started by dukins, May 2, 2017.

1. PDXLaserGazer

PDXLaserGazer Well-Known Member

Type of Motorcycle Currently Riding:
    '13 Cross Country - Antifreeze Green / '15 Gunner
    I won't fault the dealer. I provided them a replacement bearing. They, as the rest of us do, probably just expected they'd be greased properly as they were sealed. This is the purpose for the waiver, because they didn't provide the part. The fact that they pushed me to the front of the line on a Friday Night/Saturday Morning and they didn't bend me over a barrel for the repair earned my respect, also they did not have any in stock or I would have gone OEM. I'm grateful and they were very good to work with and super friendly. I also can't say 100% the bearing is the cause of the failure. The belt being too tight may have played a role in it, as well as my lack of checking more frequently both the belt tension and the bearings, though I shouldn't have to. It's all a learning experience and I'm just happy I heard the noise, recognized it as a hazard and was able to plan accordingly to make sure I didn't become a statistic. I'll have new bolts when the bearings arrive. I'll take this opportunity to do some other minor work on the bike since it's up on the lift and I don't have the excuse of "but it's too nice out"...

• Informative Informative x 1
  2. Bikesofbrads

Bikesofbrads Well-Known Member

2015 victory xct & 06 katana
    They put very lil grease in sealed bearings, I’ve popped many seals & packed them full myself esp when rode dirt. Sometimes the machines mess up so a few defected parts make it through & into our stuff. Easily with moderate to 80% push of riding they should last @ least 50k since many like Mark do get 100k

3. Chattanooga_Mark

Chattanooga_Mark Well-Known Member

2012 CCT, Wonderful in white
    Great information, thank you for the clarification.

4. linerider

linerider Well-Known Member

'12 XCT and '02 TCD
    Finally got around to some maintenance. Whoever recommended the speed bleeders...great idea. Love them! Have new fluid front and rear. Clutch lever and cable ends lubed as well as shifter linkages and rear brake. Shock aired up, tries aired, oil changed, washed and chrome cleaned up. Leaving Friday for a couple week vacation. Intending on riding from mid Missouri to all around Idaho. Any great roads I shouldn't miss? It might work out to hook up with the V2V on the return trip?

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  5. PDXLaserGazer

Glacier Nat'l Park, Beartooth Highway, Chief Joseph Highway, Needles highway, Dead Indian Pass

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. CPT PYRO

CPT PYRO Well-Known Member

2017 Victory Cross Country
    I added a phone charger, thought it would be good for a couple HP but all it did was charge the phone.....

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Smokier104

Smokier104 Active Member

'14 Cross County Tour
    What @PDXLaserGazer said. Plus, if going through lower Utah to get to Idaho :devil3:, Bryce Canyon is a worth-while looksie.

Ride safe and enjoy!
    Smokier

8. Smokier104

Smokier104 Active Member

'14 Cross County Tour
    Just received and installed my DDT's from @crosscountryla ! Very happy, it has a much nicer and deeper note when she first starts and idles. The sound increases nicely and stays deep during normal acceleration/riding. They can bark if you get on the throttle. :devil3:

Thanks @crosscountryla :yr1:

Ride safe,
    smokier

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. roadcouch

roadcouch Well-Known Member

2013 xc sunset red

Not that we all have ultrasounds, (one of the below links) but here is some information. Too much grease isn't good either. There's more sites and videos with more information, this is just to help you out if needed.

https://www.maintworld.com/Applications/The-Three-Mistakes-of-Bearing-Lubrication

Lubricate a Mounted Bearing: A How-to Guide - Baart Group

• Informative Informative x 2
  10. PDXLaserGazer

Thanks, good read. You know you could say the 2 articles actually argue against the other, one says regular intervals, the other says when necessary. Now I just need an ultrasound device to determine if my bearings are "bearing" children.

I pulled both, the one I greased when installing seems to be in tip top shape. The other, the one that failed, has damaged bearings. Looking close at the balls, I have to wonder if the damage of the balls caused premature failure or if the failure damaged the balls. These are hardened steel so the fact that 2 are pitted halfway around makes me wonder.

I don't believe I over-greased the bearing undamaged, there was no sign of grease leakage or seal blowout on that one whereas the other had plenty of grease outside the bearing and little to none inside. But was this due to the failure or did this cause the failure?

I still think I will pop the seal and take a look every other tire change, if for no other reason than to appease my own curiosity. Truthfully, I don't see any reason the grease shouldn't last 50k or more in a sealed unit.

The axle rod should be snug in the inner race as well I think but in fact it's not as snug as I would expect. I have a lightly used axle on the way and new bearings so everything will be checked prior to reassembly.

• Like Like x 1
  11. roadcouch

roadcouch Well-Known Member

2013 xc sunset red
    @PDXLaserGazer

I sent it to guide ya. Some people think more grease the better. Sounds like your on the right path.

12. RoguePug

RoguePug Well-Known Member

2015 Cross Country Tour
    Took off the 106 timing cover and installed the new one from Sky Fire Industries. Was at my door in just under three weeks. Timing Cover 2.jpg Timing Cover.jpg

• Like Like x 6
    • Winner Winner x 1
  13. Alwhite00

Alwhite00 Well-Known Member

Victory
    Got my ABS fixed. Took a shot at a new sensor on the front and it worked. 20210611_114904.jpg

• Like Like x 4
    • Informative Informative x 2
  14. Smokier104

Smokier104 Active Member

'14 Cross County Tour
    Greetings,

Installed the LED headlamp replacement for the stock. Installed the rear brake and shifter lever brass bushings. Cleaned those hidden recesses while at it. Pulled the heel shifter while that side was unbuttoned. Anyone interested in a heel shifter?
    Love the LED. Nice to have cleaned a couple of hard to get to areas while tinkering.

Ride safe,
    Smokier

• Winner Winner x 1
  15. md2420

md2420 Well-Known Member

2014 Vision
    @Havoc70 here you go. So you don’t have to get that big boot under the shifter.