VOG Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Whoever invented those tip-overs I owe him a steak Dinner. Last night I was coming home from work and i hit the on ramp of the 215 in Vegas at 25 mph what I didn't Know was this fool had just ran a red light did a left turn at high speed and drifted in to my lane giving me the choice of a T-bone or going down. well i didn't want to second guess myself on my lay-down decision because if you hesitate your dead so I remembered from the advanced safety course if you hit you front brake alone on a curve your bike will dive like a sparrow hawk for the ground well I did and it does. decision taken away no hesitation. I hit the ground and slid to a stop, damn if the guy didn't even stop to see if I was ok . well I dusted myself off and righted the Bike and headed for a lighted area to see the damage to my bike. To my great relief no damage , got home pulled her in the garage and took out a shop light to see what I had missed and there was a little scratching on the underside of the tip over if you laid on the ground and looked up, so guys they really work and are not just for looks. By the way to answer the next question No no one stopped to even see if I was ok , one cage driver even had to-steer off the road to get around me.
Dragon Bob

·
Registered
5,880 Posts

Damn - what a story!!!! Glad you are Ok - and your bike also. I'm gonna guess your pulse rate elevated just a bit - just a bit over 200 beats per minute!!!
Take care - now you only have 8 lives left.

·
Registered
807 Posts
Glad you're okay, Bob. I thought the front brake on a curve was supposed to high-side the driver, but maybe that's only with your average, run of the mill everyday bike...;-)

·
Premium Member
3,850 Posts
Wow! I'm glad you're okay Bob. The Tip Overs have proven many times over that they are designed very well and do the job when needed. I can only guess that many other manufacturers will be finding ways to duplicate this feature on future models.

This situation is further reason for everyone to take the MSF Class. Yes, I'm a supporter of that organization and can only hope that others see your post and use it as a reminder to take the class. It's a good idea, for even seasoned riders, to take the refresher ERC (Experienced Rider Class) every couple of years. It's amazing how many bad habits we pickup over the years.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Welcome to the tip-over slide club!

In my case, I went down hard at about 20mph (I now believe I instantaneously locked up my front wheel with too much pressure on the linked brake).

No cosmetic damage with me as well, but I did bend the structural support behind the front tip-over. Caused the front cowling below the light to separate and cause a visible gap. Be sure to check that out to make sure all is ok. $380 in parts, $750 repair bill.

Glad you are safe.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.