VOG Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last Saturday I went down again and it wasn't pretty.

Early morning, on my way to Nürburgring to cross that off my list. 20 minutes from my house and I'm on the autobahn doing 130-140kph in an unlimited zone. I'm coming up on a car going slower, I check my left mirror and see a car coming fast.

I made a decision here that ill question forever. I decided to speed up a little, pass and then slow down. I started the move into the left lane, gave a little throttle and was passing just fine. Im watching the slower moving car in the right lane as I pass and just as im clear of the front bumper something goes wrong...

The steering goes washy. Left, right, left,right...speed wobbles. Before I could react it was full lock to lock wobbles at 160kph. Clutch, throttle off, foot on rear brake still lock to lock as I hold on. Ill never forget the sound of full sidewall scrubbing the Asphalt at that speed as the bike bucked beneath me. "Alright. Im going down"

I remember clearly being tossed and slamming into the Asphalt. The next memory comes as the paramedic is cutting mt jacket and shirt off. Im reapo some but kept repeating "get my phone so i can call my wife" I blink and minutes go by, im being loaded into an ambulance of some sort. "Get my phone so I can call my wife!" I plea again. "Its gone bro"

I wake again in a German hospital with oxygen in my nose and no close on hours later. Im alive, but the pain I feel all over makes me wish I wasn't. Im confused and lost, I have no way to reach out to anyone and I only know the very basics of this foreign language.

Monday im transfered to a US military facility and given a clear picture of how close I actually came to being a memory. Broken color bone, scapula, and 4 ribs. My wrists could have fractures too, but were too swollen to see right now. Entire lower back is covered in road rash. Lung damage from the broken ribs causing me to cough up blood and flem. And my spleen bust open a tiny bit causing some internal bleeding for a few days before it was able to close on its own.

The police took my phone and wallet after the accident. This prevents theft but also leaves me in the dark for knowing numbers and reaching folks. I was airlifted from the scene and put into a medically induced coma because of the extent of the pain I was in. My shoulder has what ive been told is xalled "floating shoulder" basically as i understand it, nothing structurally holding it onto my body. Confirmed concussion. That makes #2 in a year and im having a hard time spelling common words.

Hoping to have my bike picked up this afternoon. I'll know the damage to it then.

My gear saved my life. Without it I would no doubt be dead. The question over the next few months during my recovery and rehab is do I want to out my gear on again?

Im not so sure right now 5 days after the accident. I snoozed all motorcycle related content on FB and YouTube. I don't want to think about it at all while I recover. I want the feeling I had as a kid about motorcycles. Let that consume me again and if it doesn't, I seriously doubt ill leather up once more.

Responses are not required as they won't be checked for a while. I will miss this community and the wealth of info available with just a quick read.

Until next time,
Morgan

·
Registered
6,656 Posts
My buddy experienced a slow leak in his rear tire and it caused an uncontrollable tank-slapper on I-84 in 2017 on the way to Boise. I was riding behind him. It threw him off and he landed on the pavement with his head. He removed his helmet just 20 minutes before at a gas stop. He's basically a living vegetable now. Consider yourself very lucky. At least you can still communicate. Mike can't. Wear your helmets!

·
Registered
11,753 Posts
You went down just under 80 MPH and you are alive. Up over 90 to 100 once past he could have been blocking a cross wind, or created a draft once you were past. Victory does also find some unusual times to start their high speed wobble.

Whatever the reason tank slappers generally end just like yours ended. If this was my 2nd time down in the recent past, I would look at it is a warning sign. Good luck healing. when you feel better you can decide your own fate. I believe your wife should be involved in that discussion.

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
Rest up and glad to hear you're going to be okay!

Reactions: Chattanooga_Mark

·
Registered
3,420 Posts
Glad your still with us it could have been much worst. Take your time do as they say and heal. I went thru a similar wreck back in 2003. I was on my 01 Electra Glide heading back to Chicago running across a 2 lane with sweeping curves in Montana. Me and a brother hard in the throttle between 105 and 110. Went into a tank slapper and couldn’t pull out. It Walked up the curve while fighting it and I felt the back tire leave the asphalt and hit the shoulder as it happened I thought ok it’s over I’m done. I was right at 100 according to my brother. I woke up 6 days later in Rapid city South Dakota. Couldn’t believe I was still alive. Was wearing nothing but a pair of jeans and boots when I wrecked. I thought I don’t know why I’m here but I guess it’s not my time and the man has plans for me I’m guessing. I was in a halo broke my neck in 2 placed cracked both shoulder bones broke 7 ribs my wrist and ankle. It was a long come back thru rehab and all. I should have known better then to run that bike that fast Harley at that time was kind of known f for that. It was my 3rd wreck. I thought briefly about hanging it up but it’s my passion and has been since I was 13. So I bought another Electra Glide and kept riding. I kind of got that attitude now of when it’s my time it’s gonna be my time no matter what I’m doing. Hope you heal quick and think about it along the way. It’s obviously not your time either.

·
Registered
17,941 Posts
Wow, sorry the Bike did that and no way to see that coming and still wonder the proper response would be and if I could do it fast enough to make a difference. Like the others have said, get on the mend and evaluate the circumstances later. Get healthy with positive thoughts of gratitude to have survived. The healing will follow and it will happen and the rest will follow...

·
Registered
368 Posts
"when buying a bike go out and buy the best protective riding gear you can find, with the money you have left over buy a bike"...

sage advice i gleaned a long time ago when i started looking for my first bike...zp...

·
Registered
624 Posts
Thanks for sharing your story. A reminder to all of us on two wheels is good every now and again. Hope you heal up and I hope you can find that inner kid again.

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks for the reply yall. It was 2 weeks ago today that it happened. I've got the bike back from the junkyard and awaiting the insurance appraisal to tell me what I already know. Totaled.

Along with the body damage, handlebars, exhaust and what not, she won't go into neutral. Clutch in, she starts, but no neutral.

The wife told me she wants it gone. She thinks its cursed and honestly....she has a bit of a point. Regardless of what happens I won't be back on Big Red. It was a great bike, but truth be told...when I saw it being unloaded I felt nothing. No "poor bike", nothing. All I thought was "theres the crashed bike".....thats how I know the bike isn't for me anymore.

I still have my KP in the States. I still miss that bike and the feeling of it. Ill be back on it when I get back stateside in a few years. Meanwhile, ill have to heal up quite a bit before I can ride this duel sport BMW f650 that I picked up for rainy days.

I go for a checkup Tuesday and we will know if I need surgery then. I still can't lift my left arm and have 0 strength in my hands...seriously I struggle to open chips or a bottle of water. Pouring coffee in the a.m. is nerve wracking. Im not coughing up blood anymore so the lungs are healing well and oh...theres 5 broken ribs one of which is broken twice...so, breathing still hurts lol.

I've got awesome friends and amazing troops. Had one of my E6s and one E4 bring me a ton of homemade fajitas yesterday. Freaking awesome. I think they're trying to get me fat tho as there's always cookies, or cheesecake to accompany the food. Honestly I don't mind right now hahaha.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts