Well, the Vision is gone | Page 4 | Victory Motorcycles: Motorcycle Forums

Well, the Vision is gone

Discussion in 'Victory General Discussion' started by zebber, Sep 29, 2021.

1. Chattanooga_Mark

Chattanooga_Mark Well-Known Member

Type of Motorcycle Currently Riding:
    2012 CCT, Wonderful in white
    Welcome to the forum Twitch. You may want to start a new thread with your question instead of hijacking this Vision to Indian thread. Also post more information about what aftermarket exhaust you're referring to would also be helpful.

2. Chattanooga_Mark

How different, in real world terms, is Polaris support for the Vision now than it was when Victory was alive? In real world terms, didn't Polaris basically stop support for the Vision soon after the Cross bikes came out? IMHO, Victory dealers were never plentiful and few had much knowledge about the bikes or parts on the shelf anyway. In reality, just like @Bikesofbrads posted above, have a few specific items on hand and the rest is, or should be, worry free. Knowing your bike is another key factor. Besides Vision specific bodywork and accessories, just about everything that's needed to keep a Vision on the road today is readily available either from a few great dealers, online or aftermarket.

Indian dealers aren't exactly on every corner either. Certainly when compared to their biggest competitor.

I've always had the attitude, likely from riding different Moto Guzzi bikes for decades that, if needed I'd rent a truck and haul the bike home. Thankfully I've never had to do that but it's always a real world possibility regardless of what brand bike you're riding. Try finding a Moto Guzzi dealer that actually knows the bikes and has parts on the shelf. There are only 3 US dealers I'd trust (TX, OH, CT) that 'may' be able to help you out in a pinch.

Ride more and worry much less. A 'long' trip is simply multiple tanks of gas being used in succession instead of periodic partials. Many Victory motorcycles have gone well over 200K miles without ever needing to be hauled home or having left anyone stranded.

• Like Like x 2
  3. ByteN2it

ByteN2it Well-Known Member

'99 V92C & '09 Vision
    I agree with CM. I would not hesitate to go on tour with my Vision after my usual going over it. If you think being on an Indian on tour & breaking down will be a faster repair than a Victory I believe you're mistaken. My Vic's have never left me stranded on tour, limped in for tires twice was as bad as it got.
    I'm most likely out of the new motorcycle business, every bike I look at is a huge step down that I'm not going to take & will continue maintaining & enjoying my Vics as I always have-without Polaris support.

• Like Like x 2
  4. NY mike

NY mike Well-Known Member

Indian chieftain - Harley Ultra
    @Chattanooga_Mark i totally agree with what you said but to a point. Luckily only once believe it or not LOL did I have to rent a uhaul to drag my Harley back home. From PA to Chicago. But in the 42 years on Harleys before I jumped to Vic in 16 parts we’re always readily available due to the great network they had cross country. And god knows I had to use them numerous times thru out. I think it’s the thought of $hit can I even find this part anymore that gets everyone a little gun shy on the longer ones. Even with Harley I’ve waited for stuff to be overnight to get me rolling again. But it’s obtainable nonetheless.

5. Chattanooga_Mark

I fully agree with your assessment.

Everyone needs to do what keeps them in their comfort zone to the extent they can afford to. I want Polaris to be wildly successful with Indian. Partially because I’d never want Indian owners, dealers, vendors etc to go through the killing of Indian like they did with Victory.

It’s awesome when people get a new Indian, Victory or whatever brand they buy. New owners use a wide variety of reasons to validate their decision to buy their next bike. I have my validation markers while others have theirs.

I find the ‘what would I do for parts if I’m xx miles from home’ reason quite hollow in most instances. But again, that’s me. Others have different concerns than I do. If I were 3 days from home and something like my voltage regulator or starter went kaput I ‘think’ I’d know how and where to have a replacement sent to me within a day. Again, others have differing thoughts on that.

I could be wrong but I think some forum members would take a part off their bike if needed to get a stranded rider home.

I also don’t have a good list of how many parts like starters and voltage regulators etc Polaris reused on Indians. I suspect more than we think.

Even when I was in High School and took my first couple 1000 mile rides away from home, I always made sure I had a credit card with me with a lot of room on it for emergency ’tow home’ type scenarios.

Like others, many of my fondest motorcycle memories are from obstacles overcome along the way. Even more so than many of the destinations.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2021
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. NY mike

NY mike Well-Known Member

Indian chieftain - Harley Ultra
    @Chattanooga_Mark LOL so true some of my best stories are did I tell ya about the time I broke down in ! And Runnin coast to coast on Harleys I’ve got a few

• Winner Winner x 1
  7. jmstang302

jmstang302 Well-Known Member

2009 Vegas 2008 VISION 2013 XC. 13 Vegas 8 Ball
    I've reached out and made such an offer to someone that was an hour north of me, just last year.

Home or work I have the tools and equipment to service our bikes. Truck and trailer is usually in the driveway readily available for a rescue run.

With almost a dozen Vics between a couple brothers and myself, it's likely we'd be able to get someone back on the road before too long.

• Winner Winner x 3
  8. zebber

zebber Active Member

2016 Magnum, 2017 Indian Roadmaster
    I agree that everyone has a different comfort level on break downs and that is the exact reason I decided to trade the Vision in, I was broke down in Washington Dc on a BMW K1200LT several years ago. Had to call in and take 3 extra days vacation from work (which I never did ) because the part wasn't available fast, had to spend several hundred bucks on hotel rooms that I wasn't planning on , wife was worried sick and panicking and it was a general pain in the butt so I will do whatever I can to avoid that again. BMW dealers are few and far between like Victory and Indian dealers are and just about every one doesn't keep very many parts on hand for K1200LT's for some reason, one dealer told me they don't keep parts because they don't break , I told him then why am I here asking for a part if they don't break ( here's your sign).

• Like Like x 1
  9. Chattanooga_Mark

H-D sounds right for you then. Ample dealers with an enormous aftermarket.

10. zebber

zebber Active Member

2016 Magnum, 2017 Indian Roadmaster
    No Harleys for me, thanks anyway.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1