VOG Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I feel like a State Farm (I think) commercial - the left side cover on my '17 X1 fell off (again) while riding today. Every time this has happened in the past I was able to push it back into place, but today it came completely off and got stuck under the exhaust, dragging for about 1/4 mile before I could stop.
The good news, if there is any, is that I was able to save it from being run over by cages; the not so good news is that it will need a lot of repair.
Anyone know where I can get one for a reasonable price? I'm guessing that I'll probably have to get a standard cover and have it painted / striped to match.
Any help is appreciated!

KevinL

·
Premium Member
14,190 Posts
Whenever I take off I put dab of silicone on peg....can peel off the old dab. NEVER lost a side cover again. Sometimes grommet comes to, peel off same and reinstall :icon_thumleft:

Reactions: Flyboy

·
Registered
12,815 Posts
I tell ya. It’s easy to remove a side cover and not put it back properly. I take good care in making sure that darn side cover is properly in place.

Reactions: Barry and rwc

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
I use electrical shrink tubes on the post to widen them, and inspect the grommets regularly, one can buy from Honda and other sources.
I do hope someone can help you Kjlong, seems to be common problem.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the ideas guys; I tried the heat shrink (2 layers) and it made no difference. Because of the history of this falling off I'm always very careful/cognizant of how it goes on, making sure it's in all of the grommets.
Grommets were replaced about a year ago under warranty, but I guess I need to re-visit that.
Surprisingly, a local body shop was able to repair the corner were it had ground down, and repaint that section, matching the pearl amazingly well - you can't tell that it was repainted unless you put a finger on it to find the paint line (they didn't repaint the whole thing because of the graphics). There are still a couple of minor scratches that will need some touch-up, but I can live with it for the short term.
I put a small tie-wrap/zip-tie around it at the top, but I think I'm going to order a new side cover, have it painted to match and then have the graphics applied; I'll then take the old one and figure out a way to keep it on better - toying with the idea of a stainless button head screw and well nut to replace the pin & grommet.

Thanks everyone!
KL

·
Registered
349 Posts
All you need is new grommets every year. No need to tape or anything else. Are Napa ones the exact tightness of OEM? IDK I have only used OEM. I can tell you that when my New 1000 mile Magnum went on the road the Original Grommets were a little loose but very dirty too. They were replaced immediately.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.