Welcome To Victory Tire Talk | Victory Motorcycles: Motorcycle Forums

Welcome To Victory Tire Talk

Discussion in 'Victory General Discussion' started by Chattanooga_Mark, Oct 5, 2021.

1. Chattanooga_Mark

Chattanooga_Mark Well-Known Member

Type of Motorcycle Currently Riding:
    2012 CCT, Wonderful in white
    At the time I had a Dunlop run flat car tire mounted on the back of my CCT and a Dunlop RoadSmart II 160/60 rear tire mounted on the front of my CCT I also had the FOBO 2 TPMS installed. I bought the T valve stems to make adding air to the tires easier if needed.

The Dunlop RoadSmart II rear tire mounted up front never went more than 2 degrees above ambient temperature. Even in ambient temperatures over 100 degrees. The Dunlop Winter Sport 3D run flat car tire never went over 3 or 4 degrees above ambient air temperature.

I'm now back to oem size tires with Dunlop E4 front and rear. On Friday, with ambient air temp was only at 85 degrees on my way to Nashville, TN. My front tire went from 38psi when I pulled out of the garage to 46psi with an internal temp of 86 according to the FOBO 2 system. The rear Dunlop E4 went from 40psi to just over 50psi with an internal temperature of 104 degrees. When the FOBO 2 system records a 10psi increase it sounds an alarm and the phone display turns red. Just like it does if you lose too much air pressure in a tire.

I never had a TPMS with the oem Dunlop E3 tires or the subsequent Dunlop E4 tires I used prior to going double darkside with the FOBO 2 system. Therefore I don't have anything to compare these new readings to. It seems a bit odd for an oem rear Dunlop E4 to get that hot (19 degrees) and increase that much psi (over 10) but again, I don't have an adequate reference point.

The load on the bike was minimal in that the trunk only had a lightweight backpack, one saddlebag only had a half helmet and the other saddlebag held its usual small tool roll, bungee nets/cords and Frogg Togg rain gear.

One additional data point: I simply hate the oem size Dunlop E4 after riding with two consecutive 160/60 front tires. Sharp edges and the occasional pothole seem downright brutal compared to having the larger tire up front. As soon as I can afford to have it pulled off and replaced with a 160/60 I will.

With these increases in tire temperatures and psi at 85 degrees, I'm wondering what will happen next Summer when ambient temperatures go up another 15 to 20 degrees.

What are other riders experiencing regarding tire temperature and psi increases while riding?

Last edited: Oct 5, 2021
    • Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. snobnd

snobnd Well-Known Member

victory magnum
    I would think if you have nitrogen put in your tires instead of regular air you would not see the temperature fluctuation you’re getting!

• Like Like x 1
  3. Bikesofbrads

Bikesofbrads Well-Known Member

2015 victory xct & 06 katana
    I have very similar numbers with mine, glad to see I’m not unique in that respect. Just curious Mark, do you have 3 testicles too? Me either ;

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. iabob

iabob Well-Known Member

Victory Kingpin
    Yay, finally something interesting on the VOG! Lol, interesting because I have no idea, looking forward to the thread. Because I haven’t done double dark side, dark side, or tmps sensors the only 2 cents I could offer is that I think the heat rise is a function of friction. So I’m theorizing that a harder compound rubber with less rolling resistance, or a larger surface area that spreads the friction out to less per square inch, might be the cause of less heat, therefore less rise in psi. It’s a guess anyway.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Chattanooga_Mark

• Funny Funny x 2
  6. Chattanooga_Mark

I’ve been losing about 1psi a week on both front and rear tire since I had these installed. I’m not sure if nitrogen would stop that. I try to keep 38psi in the front and 40psi in the back. I always check them overnight cold. My dial air gauge matches the FOBO 2 within 1psi.

• Useful Useful x 1
  7. psimpson

psimpson Member

2012 Ness XC
    I've got Fobo's and E4 on the rear. I see the same thing. Also have them on my Vulcan 2000 (car tire on the rear). Not as much change on rear but rear tires always heat up way more than fronts. I think it's the heat of the engine,pipes and belt all causing the change. Also the rear tire is sheltered from the wind more than the front.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Chattanooga_Mark

Agree. The larger Dunlop Winter Sport 3D Runflat car tire never, ever heated up more than 3 or 4 degree. Regardless of running at elevated speeds in elevated temperatures.

• Useful Useful x 1
  9. Bikesofbrads

Longshot, How’s the lil o rings look inside the sensor where it screws onto the valve, or the nut that locks the sensor may be threaded up a tiny bit to far not letting the sensor screw all the way on. The weather is changing lately so just could b that

• Useful Useful x 1
  10. Cayoot

Cayoot Member

Victory Cross Country Tour & Suzuki DR 650
    I've had the same experience with the Dunlops on my CCT. I was pretty alarmed by the pressure increase on my rear tire on any rides longer than 40 - 50 minutes. (Which also caused my FOBO to give the alarm.)
    I also noticed a very slow air leak since I installed the FOBO (I haven't purchased the T system yet.)
    During a recent 2 week trip from my home in Michigan to Montana/WY and back, the air leak got much worse. I had topped off the pressure in both tires (requiring me to remove, then re-install the FOBOs) the day before leaving. By the time I was in WI, both tires were approaching 10 lbs low. I pulled over at a rest stop and aired them back up (I carry an electric tire pump), and took off. The air leak continued, and I was getting worried. However, being slow of thought, I finally began to think that maybe I was over-tightening the FOBOs. When I started to experiment with them being on a little less tight, the air loss problem went away. However my tire pressure still climbed to over 50 psi and set off my alarm.

It seemed to stabilize around 54-55 psi every day while I was on the trip (6 - 8 hours saddle time each day) so I just started expecting it, and monitored (but didn't worry) about it. It seems that maybe Dunlop has taken tire heating into consideration when designing these tires.

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  11. 1stVictory

1stVictory Well-Known Member

2012 Pearl White CC Tour
    If you change the temp setting on the FOBO to Celsius, the temps will be way lower! That may take some worry out of the situation. Personally, I don't worry about hearing the rear tire chime after 10-15 mins of riding. I know it heats up Moreland faster than the front considering the engine heat pours onto it. As long as the tires are at proper values before you ride, you're safe with Allstate.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  12. Chattanooga_Mark

So, now to figure out what 160/60 I'll change to after I get a few more miles on the 130/70 E4. I'm not sure I can ride this front E4 out until it hits the wear bars. I greatly preferred the ride quality of the last two Dunlop RoadSmart II tires I had mounted in the front prior to going back to the oem front tire. I'll stay with a radial tire on both ends though.

I've also taken into consideration how tight I screw the FOBO unit onto the valve stem. I just replaced both batteries last week and noticed the front FOBO was maybe a bit too tight and the back one was maybe a bit too loose. I tried to make the 'just right'. Our temperatures have been lower over the last several weeks so that also plays a role in the static pressure.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Bikesofbrads

I’ve been searching for the thread that had pics of a 140 a 150 & also the 160 up front but to no avail, I’m thinking the 150 for myself